Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing Carbon Fiber Hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:37 PM
angryCOWofDOOM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing Carbon Fiber Hood

You can't really tell from this picture much but my CF Hood is starting to yellow real bad. Can anyone give me a process to make my CF hood look like brand new rather than just buying a new hood? Thanks.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:38 PM
ARMSTRONGARMS

take it to a bodyshop and have them reclear it.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:01 AM
tonester1011
CF God

youre probably better of buying a new hood...it will take hours to sand all the way through the yellow and u may not get it perfect....ive tried to do it to some little spots on one hood already and hours later nothing...
Old 03-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

I agree with Tony^
Old 03-03-2009, 03:12 PM
FairLadyz916

hey yea its better on getting a new hood..my friend got a seibon ts hood..kinda yellowed like yours..he brought it to get it cleared again thinking that was the problem..but no help..wasted his money on clearing the hood..it still came out yellow!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:18 PM
angryCOWofDOOM

how about painting the CF Hood. Is there anything bad that can happen? Thanks for the replies by the way guys. I appreciate it.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:55 PM
FairLadyz916

here is another options.you can tint the cf..not sure anywhere here in norcal does it..but i did my old car down south and they tinted the cf kandy blue ( i think it only works on kandy color ) car was built back in 2003

http://trickedoutshows.com/features/..._huydelsol.htm
Old 03-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by angryCOWofDOOM
how about painting the CF Hood. Is there anything bad that can happen? Thanks for the replies by the way guys. I appreciate it.
Your body shop shouldn't have a problem painting the hood. There gonna prep it and prime it and everything so. If I were you I would just paint it and not waste my money on a new hood. But, if you like the carbon fiber look.. I would get a new one.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:23 AM
BaZooKa

isn't there a way to prevent a CF hood getting yellow ?

i think a clear bra the one used to prevent chip rocks on ur front bumper is a good thing to do for ur CF exterior ,,
Old 03-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Done Deal DR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BaZooKa
isn't there a way to prevent a CF hood getting yellow ?

i think a clear bra the one used to prevent chip rocks on ur front bumper is a good thing to do for ur CF exterior ,,
Get a proper clear put on the hood BEFORE is starts to yellow is the correct answer here. Even though companies will say they have a UV clear coat protection on it, it either sucks horribly or doesn't exist in the first place. Then again, if you look at the cost of the clear used on the Corvette ZR-1 for it's carbon maybe that's why these hoods come with crappy clear.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:47 PM
BaZooKa

great idea ,,, and thnx for the info ,, OP buy a new Carbon hood and add UV protection as Done_Deal_DR said ..
Old 03-04-2009, 05:13 PM
surfer05rdr

Originally Posted by angryCOWofDOOM

You can't really tell from this picture much but my CF Hood is starting to yellow real bad. Can anyone give me a process to make my CF hood look like brand new rather than just buying a new hood? Thanks.
looks like its matching the rims lol
Old 03-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by surfer05rdr
looks like its matching the rims lol
lol, smart ***, but they it really does.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:35 PM
surfer05rdr

Originally Posted by Nexx
lol, smart ***, but they it really does.
just say its a kandy tint to match the rims lol but the car looks good man
Old 03-04-2009, 05:44 PM
AstroZombie

If you want it absolutely perfect you should go with a new hood. if you dont mind a little flaw here and there then just use a DA to sand until you hit the carbon, and re-clear the heck out of it.

On a side note, I'm down by Fresno, if you do get a new hood I'll take the old one off your hands for a few cases of beer or something. I am a composite tech, and I love projects!

Also painting CF is no different than painting any other part. Our jets are 98% carbon skinned and they are painted.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:54 PM
surfer05rdr

Originally Posted by AstroZombie
If you want it absolutely perfect you should go with a new hood. if you dont mind a little flaw here and there then just use a DA to sand until you hit the carbon, and re-clear the heck out of it.

On a side note, I'm down by Fresno, if you do get a new hood I'll take the old one off your hands for a few cases of beer or something. I am a composite tech, and I love projects!

Also painting CF is no different than painting any other part. Our jets are 98% carbon skinned and they are painted.
Just a quick question i was curious about cuz i do have to do it. Will it not mess up the carbon fiber weeve if you sand it until it hits the carbon fiber. The front of my hood has cracked from shutting it but the body shop guy said that the cracks go deep and he might not be able to get rid of them cuz he can only sand so deep
Old 03-04-2009, 08:02 PM
angryCOWofDOOM

What if there are some cracking on the CF Hood. Does that affect the hood after if I end up painting it? The hood isn't THAT yellow. It's just really exaggerated in the above picture. Here's a recent picture of my car. Haha. Thanks for all the replies guys.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:11 PM
AstroZombie

Originally Posted by surfer05rdr
Just a quick question i was curious about cuz i do have to do it. Will it not mess up the carbon fiber weeve if you sand it until it hits the carbon fiber. The front of my hood has cracked from shutting it but the body shop guy said that the cracks go deep and he might not be able to get rid of them cuz he can only sand so deep
the weave will be fine as long as you dont sand really far into it. I would go no more coarse than 320 grit, and that might be pushing it. go slow, and take your time, the cracks are (or should be) only the clear, not the fiber itsself.

[QUOTE=angryCOWofDOOM;7033653]What if there are some cracking on the CF Hood. Does that affect the hood after if I end up painting it? The hood isn't THAT yellow. It's just really exaggerated in the above picture. Here's a recent picture of my car. Haha. Thanks for all the replies guys.

The cracking may affect the hood if you paint it, think of it just like a fiberglass part that has spidercracks. You'll want to sand until you get thru the cracks then paint.

IMO if youre planning on painting the hood, I'll swap my CS for your CF hood....! (then you dont have to worry about cracking at all!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take your car to a body shop and have them re clear it!! Trust me I did it and it looks good as new!!!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 04:57 PM
angryCOWofDOOM

I went to my body shop today and they said they would charge me 300 to reclear it. If I reclear it, is there a chance it will yellow as fast as it did? I've had my CF hood since September 2008. I don't want to waste my money reclearing my hood and in 6 months again I would have to reclear it. Haha.