Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

Steering Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009 | 11:45 AM
User 42426

Default Steering Wheel?

So I was looking around and found a momo steering wheel that I like. Would all I have to do is take the stock steering wheel off and just put the aftermarket wheel on? Would I need to buy hub adapters, a quick release or quick tilt systems? What exactly do those do?

And can I use the stock air bag and put it in the new wheel? or is that not even possible, plz help since I do not know much about steering wheels, thanks.
Old 04-19-2009 | 11:45 AM
Spork

You'll lose your air bag.
Old 04-19-2009 | 12:39 PM
User 42426

Originally Posted by Spork
You'll lose your air bag.
hmm well that sucks
Old 04-20-2009 | 06:22 PM
allturbo

you can find an aftermarket steering wheel that will accept your air bag, and Yes you will need a hub adapter
Old 04-20-2009 | 06:43 PM
Voboy

some momo steering wheels do hold the air bag..
Old 04-20-2009 | 07:14 PM
Ruthless18x

As said above, most aftermarket steering wheels will cause you to lose the air bag. There is a Nismo wheel that houses an airbag though. You'll also need a hub adapter, and you'll probably want a quick release as well. Also an aftermarket wheel will be closer to you than the stock wheel is, so you need to decide if you're going to be okay with that.
Old 04-20-2009 | 08:31 PM
User 42426

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
As said above, most aftermarket steering wheels will cause you to lose the air bag. There is a Nismo wheel that houses an airbag though. You'll also need a hub adapter, and you'll probably want a quick release as well. Also an aftermarket wheel will be closer to you than the stock wheel is, so you need to decide if you're going to be okay with that.
I c. Why would I need the quick release for? Wouldnt that make it easier to steal?
Old 04-20-2009 | 11:01 PM
ekidd

Originally Posted by stevehl
I c. Why would I need the quick release for? Wouldnt that make it easier to steal?
well thats what the quick release would be for. To take the wheel off the car when parked or something. If your going to leave the car without a wheel, might as well get a quick release lock too.
Old 04-21-2009 | 06:36 AM
Ruthless18x

If you wanted to pop the steering wheel out when you park it, or leave the car somewhere. Also makes accessing the dash a hell of a lot easier. Having a quick release would make the car harder to steal, as long as you take the wheel out.
Old 04-21-2009 | 09:16 AM
User 42426

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
If you wanted to pop the steering wheel out when you park it, or leave the car somewhere. Also makes accessing the dash a hell of a lot easier. Having a quick release would make the car harder to steal, as long as you take the wheel out.
What if I didn't want the hassle of carrying my wheels around all the time after I park? Would it be better to just not buy a quick release? Or is that where the quick release lock comes into play?
Old 04-21-2009 | 09:18 AM
User 42426

I want it to be like the stock steering wheel. I want to be able to park, go out for a couple of hours, or even at night where i park outside, and just leave the steering wheel in the car knowing it won't get stolen.
Old 04-21-2009 | 12:52 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

i think you guys are missing the point.. quick release is /was meant to allow the driver to get in/out of a racing bucket with high side bolsters for driver changes during racing... the anti-theft was a 2ndary benefit.

if you are going to change to an aftermarket steering wheel. you must pick an adaptable hub for the steeringwheel you're going to choose. you do not need a quick release if you do not want to. that will determine your hub length. and how far you want your steering wheel to sit while driving.

stock airbag will not work with your aftermarket steering wheel. there are a few options that have an airbag built in- i believe there was a nismo version by Momo that incorporated this...

there is actually quite a few threads about this.. when searching use quotation marks to better isolate your results..
Old 04-21-2009 | 04:03 PM
User 42426

Originally Posted by Chebosto
i think you guys are missing the point.. quick release is /was meant to allow the driver to get in/out of a racing bucket with high side bolsters for driver changes during racing... the anti-theft was a 2ndary benefit.

if you are going to change to an aftermarket steering wheel. you must pick an adaptable hub for the steeringwheel you're going to choose. you do not need a quick release if you do not want to. that will determine your hub length. and how far you want your steering wheel to sit while driving.

stock airbag will not work with your aftermarket steering wheel. there are a few options that have an airbag built in- i believe there was a nismo version by Momo that incorporated this...

there is actually quite a few threads about this.. when searching use quotation marks to better isolate your results..
So if I don't wish to remove my steering wheel for whatever reason, I would be fine with just the hub adapter correct?

And you said something about the hub length and how far I want the steering wheel to sit? Is that determined by the hub adapter?
Old 04-21-2009 | 06:01 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

So if I don't wish to remove my steering wheel for whatever reason, I would be fine with just the hub adapter correct?
yes. then all you need is a hub with the right bolt pattern/pitch for whatever aftermarket steering wheel you choose. (momo, sparco, nardi,personal, etc)

And you said something about the hub length and how far I want the steering wheel to sit? Is that determined by the hub adapter?
yes. pretty much. along with the 'depth' of the steering wheel. for example deep corn style (which pushes the steering wheel out)

vs flat

will all effect which length hub you should get.
Old 04-22-2009 | 12:04 AM
User 42426

Thanks guys for helping me out, especially chebosto for clarifying everything :]