Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with Aftermarket Spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 01:10 PM
COJ_General

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Problems with Aftermarket Spoilers

Well, one of the first mods I plan to do on the Z is get an aftermarket spoiler. Nothing big or outrageous, but something a little more aggressive than the stock spoiler. Now I had been looking at Stillen's version 1 and 2, yet after reading everything on the forum and the negativity stillen has gotten, I swithed my attention to the Veilside version 1 spoiler. Now there was another post that just metioned the quality of the veilside and how it couldn't withstand going over 100mph! Now I am a litte nervous about getting any of these spoilers. If anyone has them, could you inform me of any problems you have had, or how well it has been for you.
Thanks
PS- Anyone in Southern Florida know of a good body shop to bring the car for the installment, along with a trust worthy performance shop I can bring the car to for any performance mods?
Old 09-29-2003, 01:15 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

130 mph+ with Nismo replica spoiler with no problems. The spoiler was actually wind tunnel tested.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:19 PM
COJ_General

Is the Nismo replica wing cheaper in price than the nismo wing, or is there a slight difference w/ it?
Old 09-29-2003, 01:30 PM
hfm

Originally posted by COJ_General
Is the Nismo replica wing cheaper in price than the nismo wing, or is there a slight difference w/ it?
I got my wing from Gruppe-S for about $290 shipped when the real wings were selling for $800.00. There is virtually no difference. I do notice a notch that was slightly filled on the right. However, this barely noticable inperfection is fine when comparing the $500 savings. Additionally, expect to spend a bit more on prep work before painting than for the original.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:45 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Well, the real Nismo US version is coming out in the next month or so and will be less than the replicas so wait, trust me.

As for a body shop I had some work on the Z done at Elite Body Shop in Riviera Beach, 561-848-8855 ask for John.

As for a performance shop call the Palm Nissan Performance Shop 561-253-1712 ask for Mike.

Gus
Old 09-29-2003, 01:59 PM
COJ_General

Talking

Thanks for the Information!
Old 09-29-2003, 02:06 PM
hfm

Originally posted by westpak
Well, the real Nismo US version is coming out in the next month or so and will be less than the replicas so wait, trust me.

As for a body shop I had some work on the Z done at Elite Body Shop in Riviera Beach, 561-848-8855 ask for John.

As for a performance shop call the Palm Nissan Performance Shop 561-253-1712 ask for Mike.

Gus
I agree with Westpak, since the prices are coming down, I would recommend that you wait and order from Jeff at Performance Nissan who will undoubtably have the best price.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:45 PM
350z4steve

Originally posted by hfm
I agree with Westpak, since the prices are coming down, I would recommend that you wait and order from Jeff at Performance Nissan who will undoubtably have the best price.
speaking of..jeff any ideas of prices on the nismo wings? will they be made of urethane?
Old 09-29-2003, 02:55 PM
Red6

Default Re: Problems with Aftermarket Spoilers

Originally posted by COJ_General
Well, one of the first mods I plan to do on the Z is get an aftermarket spoiler. Nothing big or outrageous, but something a little more aggressive than the stock spoiler. Now I had been looking at Stillen's version 1 and 2, yet after reading everything on the forum and the negativity stillen has gotten, I swithed my attention to the Veilside version 1 spoiler. Now there was another post that just metioned the quality of the veilside and how it couldn't withstand going over 100mph! Now I am a litte nervous about getting any of these spoilers. If anyone has them, could you inform me of any problems you have had, or how well it has been for you.
Thanks
PS- Anyone in Southern Florida know of a good body shop to bring the car for the installment, along with a trust worthy performance shop I can bring the car to for any performance mods?
Stillen atleast admitted to thier flaws and backs up their products. I think their customer sevice on their wing has been great they even reimbersed their cumtomers fully for paint and install.

The Veilside wing has been a whole different story. Ive had nothing but headaches with my my Veilside Version 1 Wing from day one.

My version 1 wing was sent to me warped from Veilside Japan. It was unfortunatly discovered after it was installed twice.

It was installed quickly the first time for the SEMA International Auto Salon. I thought at first the problem was due to first install.

I then took it to my other body shop to be reinstalled. It was installed the second time and confirmed by my painter to be warped.

My painter told me that the wing will never fit flush to the hatch because its warped on its bottom edge. The bottom inturn forces the wings sides to come off the hatch.

I live in southern california so I had Veilside USA take a look at my wing. They took a look and agreed with me that the wing was indeed warped.

They said they would replace the wing but wont reinburse me back for paint or install. They also requested that give them back my painted wing for exchange of the new one.

Im now afraid that the same problem will occur if I get a new wing from them.Part of this fear is because I know another owner here in So Cal with the same warping problem. Its not just a freak thing that happened.

Also if the new replacement is warped then Im out money again. I dont think I should be reponsible for install again when the wings warping wasnt my fault in the first place.

Veilside for one should reinburse their paying customers for paint and install like Stillen. I have to give props to stillen when they had their spoiler problems they took care of their customers.

If you happen to get a warped wing like me then you may be out alteast 300 bucks for paint and install.

If would go with something thats more funtionable becouse the Veiside one wing needs to be made more stable.

It also needs to be refabricated to fit. It should have a mid defussor to make it more stable so it wont bow and bounce.

I would recomend the Nismo, Ings+1 Z-Power Low Wing,
or Esprit wing.

I think they look really nice and not cause you a head ache. They have fuction as well.

Last edited by Red6; 09-29-2003 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:25 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by 350z4steve
speaking of..jeff any ideas of prices on the nismo wings? will they be made of urethane?
The anticipated price from Jeff is 270 and it will be polyurathane.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:23 PM
swifty949

Default Re: Re: Problems with Aftermarket Spoilers

heres what i have to say...page 2

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....153#post462153

Originally posted by Red6
Stillen atleast admitted to thier flaws and backs up their products. I think their customer sevice on their wing has been great they even reimbersed their cumtomers fully for paint and install.

The Veilside wing has been a whole different story. Ive had nothing but headaches with my my Veilside Version 1 Wing from day one.

My version 1 wing was sent to me warped from Veilside Japan. It was unfortunatly discovered after it was installed twice.

It was installed quickly the first time for the SEMA International Auto Salon. I thought at first the problem was due to first install.

I then took it to my other body shop to be reinstalled. It was installed the second time and confirmed by my painter to be warped.

My painter told me that the wing will never fit flush to the hatch because its warped on its bottom edge. The bottom inturn forces the wings sides to come off the hatch.

I live in southern california so I had Veilside USA take a look at my wing. They took a look and agreed with me that the wing was indeed warped.

They said they would replace the wing but wont reinburse me back for paint or install. They also requested that give them back my painted wing for exchange of the new one.

Im now afraid that the same problem will occur if I get a new wing from them.Part of this fear is because I know another owner here in So Cal with the same warping problem. Its not just a freak thing that happened.

Also if the new replacement is warped then Im out money again. I dont think I should be reponsible for install again when the wings warping wasnt my fault in the first place.

Veilside for one should reinburse their paying customers for paint and install like Stillen. I have to give props to stillen when they had their spoiler problems they took care of their customers.

If you happen to get a warped wing like me then you may be out alteast 300 bucks for paint and install.

If would go with something thats more funtionable becouse the Veiside one wing needs to be made more stable.

It also needs to be refabricated to fit. It should have a mid defussor to make it more stable so it wont bow and bounce.

I would recomend the Nismo, Ings+1 Z-Power Low Wing,
or Esprit wing.

I think they look really nice and not cause you a head ache. They have fuction as well.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:15 AM
SharpST77

how about the trial spoiler??