Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seibon hood fitment issue/strut bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Gator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Seibon hood fitment issue/strut bar

This may have been posted before but here goes. I am having an issue with a Seibon hood (TS-II style) fitting my car and the strut bar. I do have a plenum spacer. The support ribs of the hood rub against the strut bar and keep the hood flexed up. I can close it but it has about a 1/8th inch gap at the front near the fenders. So, it is in a bind. I see my choices as grind the support rib enough for the bar not to rub, get a strut bar that is lower, remove the bar or the spacer. Does anyone know if you can grind a little of this rib off and still maintain structure for the hood? Has anyone see a post anywhere that discusses this?
Thanks for your help.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:33 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What size plenum spacer?

Also Seibon is notorious for fitment issues, although I wouldn't recommend you cut the center support.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strut bar has spacers on it??? What size plenum spacer do you have?
Old 08-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Gator

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Strut bar has spacers on it??? What size plenum spacer do you have?
It's the angled AAM plenum spacer. It's supposed to level out the volume (according to their ads). Of course they don"t tell you the thickness/thinness. I do have spacers under the stock strut bar so it will clear. My mechanic set the strut bar as low as he thought it should go and that's where it is now.

I could try a GT Spec strut bar but then I don't know if it will work so I'd be spending more money. I do hate to cut/nick the support ribs as I can see the back of the hood vibrate quite a bit now at speed. If I do that, I would want them to add reinforcement to make up for cutting the rib. I hate to say it but I may have to get rid of the plenum spacer. I am positive the hood will fit fine then.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

So u would have to trim a support rib for it to fit???????? If we had pics I could help you more.....

I have trimmed my ribs and its fine.....
Old 08-22-2009, 09:04 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Consider getting a strut brace that fits in front of the upper plenum instead of over the top.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:05 AM
Gator

So u would have to trim a support rib for it to fit???????? If we had pics I could help you more.....

I have trimmed my ribs and its fine.....
I'll post some pics in a bit. For now, I'm going to remove the stock bar just so I don't crack the thing with all the pressure the bar exerts when the hood is closed. I did some searches last night and according to the guy at Z1 Performance the Cusco is the lowest profile strut bar out there. He claimed it will fit a Seibon hood and plenum spacer combo in one of his posts. I may try to call him to ask. I also read, as you suggest, that trimming is OK. I would rather not if I don't have to. Finally, the only strut bar I know of that goes in front of the plenum is the Stillen. Not crazy about the look of it and you have to delete the engine cover.

I should add that the rear hinges have 2 shims (aka flat washers) on each bolt and that the latch has been moved all the way to the top. Those were other suggestions I read and wanted to let you know, it has already been done. The latch was the most important as the hood would not even close until we did that.

Anyway, I'll post some pics of what I'm dealing with in a bit. Thanks for the feed back!
Old 08-23-2009, 06:41 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

If you trim the ribs it will fit fine? Im getting my Seibon TS sometime next week or so.. Ill see what your talking about soon.... Im gonna trim the **** outta it though..
Old 08-23-2009, 06:46 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator
I'll post some pics in a bit. For now, I'm going to remove the stock bar just so I don't crack the thing with all the pressure the bar exerts when the hood is closed. I did some searches last night and according to the guy at Z1 Performance the Cusco is the lowest profile strut bar out there. He claimed it will fit a Seibon hood and plenum spacer combo in one of his posts. I may try to call him to ask. I also read, as you suggest, that trimming is OK. I would rather not if I don't have to. Finally, the only strut bar I know of that goes in front of the plenum is the Stillen. Not crazy about the look of it and you have to delete the engine cover.

I should add that the rear hinges have 2 shims (aka flat washers) on each bolt and that the latch has been moved all the way to the top. Those were other suggestions I read and wanted to let you know, it has already been done. The latch was the most important as the hood would not even close until we did that.

Anyway, I'll post some pics of what I'm dealing with in a bit. Thanks for the feed back!
A Cusco fit for me. I once had the TS hood on my car several years ago, with a Cusco brace, and a plenum spacer. Problem is, about a 4-6 week wait for the brace to come in. You're unfortunately finding out one of the pitfalls of the hood Overall fitment (gaps from hood to fender and hood to bumper) is another downside, as the mold just plain stinks and they are, at best, inconsistant.

You can also just try thinner spacers for the strut brace - ie just standard washers, as the AAM ones are a bit on the thicker side
Old 08-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/c...3-p-19773.html

A lot of different vendors have that brace so you could prob call around for it.. Not hard to get IMO..

I had a cusco but sold it....
Old 08-23-2009, 06:54 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Cusco USA for all intents and purposes is a shadow of its former self, and there are no Cusco braces at their offices now....they have been out since June, we took the last of what they had. Another vendor might have one or two in stock but you'll have to call around to see, or the private classifieds/ebay.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 08-23-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:57 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

https://my350z.com/forum/suspension/...0-shipped.html

Mr. Kaira selling for 110 shipped!!!!!!

Not hard OP, if you need help finding one ill do it for fun.... There still available..
Old 08-23-2009, 07:31 AM
Gator

Default Pictures

OK, I promised pictures so here goes. The first are the "marks" on the ribs where the actual bar rubs. I made a word document with arrows pointing to the "marks". The others are with the bar in place and the hood closed. As you can see (hopefully), the height at the hinges is pretty good. With the 2 washers, it's a tad high but not hideous. The front is a different story on both sides. On the drivers side, about a 1/2 inch or a little less gap. On the passenger side, a little less but still a significant gap. These front gaps are because the hood hits the strut and then the hood must be bent down to get it to close! BTW- With the bar removed, the hood closes fine although as Z1 Performance says, the fit is by no means perfect (wide gaps compared to stock and still a little high- about a hood's thickness worth) but again, not hideous.
Attached Thumbnails Seibon hood fitment issue/strut bar-dsc01080.jpg   Seibon hood fitment issue/strut bar-dsc01081.jpg   Seibon hood fitment issue/strut bar-dsc01082.jpg   Seibon hood fitment issue/strut bar-dsc01084.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Hood with arrows win 97.doc (51.5 KB, 1407 views)
Old 08-23-2009, 07:35 AM
Gator

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
A Cusco fit for me. I once had the TS hood on my car several years ago, with a Cusco brace, and a plenum spacer. Problem is, about a 4-6 week wait for the brace to come in. You're unfortunately finding out one of the pitfalls of the hood Overall fitment (gaps from hood to fender and hood to bumper) is another downside, as the mold just plain stinks and they are, at best, inconsistant.

You can also just try thinner spacers for the strut brace - ie just standard washers, as the AAM ones are a bit on the thicker side
So you guys have none in stock? Also, I know it's a guess but are you reasonably sure this will work?

Thanks for your help everyone. It looks like I may be headed in this direction. Even if it does not work, I'll get a nice strut bar that will match my Samco hoses.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Gator

https://my350z.com/forum/suspension/...0-shipped.html

Mr. Kaira selling for 110 shipped!!!!!!

Not hard OP, if you need help finding one ill do it for fun.... There still available..
Just noticed something. I think Cusco makes different strut bar styles. The one in this add is the flat aluminum one sort of like the GT Spec brace.

Z1- what style did you use???
Old 08-23-2009, 08:05 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

No sorry, none of the Cusco strut braces in stock right now. Cusco only makes 1 strut brace for the Z.

It worked without issue on my car with the TS hood
Old 08-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Gator

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
No sorry, none of the Cusco strut braces in stock right now. Cusco only makes 1 strut brace for the Z.
Sorry- I've looked at so many braces over the last 24 hours, they all start to run together! Just out of curiosity, did you try the GT Spec brace? Also, did you have to use spacers with the Cusco?

Again, thank you very much for your help!
Old 08-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

no sorry, never used the GT Spec one
Old 09-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Gator

Just to follow up. I did get a Cusco strut bar used. It is not perfect but 100% better than the stock one in terms of compatibility with the Seibon hood. Still needs some tweaking so it clears both the hood and the plenum. Gotta' find the right combination of washers and adjust the bar height and/or shave the hood a pinch! Still, much better than stock.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

I had the same problem after a lil while opening and closing my hood i noticed some rubbing on my Aerosync strut bar.. So I took out my spacers from the strut bar and it clears fine now!! FTMFW!!! I have a 5/16 spacer BTW, no spacers on the strut and it still fits/clears hood...