Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Bra Install Review! My experience...Check it out!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 07:30 PM
SixRB6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Clear Bra Install Review! My experience...Check it out!

First I would like to say that I have been reading alot of posts lately about people having nightmare experiences regarding clear bra's. This is a shame because if you care about your paint like most of us crazy Z owners do, then a clear bra is a must!

I just had my clear bra installed 2 weeks ago by CAR CRAFTERS. Frank O'Grady is the installer and all have to say is WOW!
He did such a great job on my car I could not believe the results! If you look at my roadster quickly you can't even see the lines. And my color is silverstone.

His kits are already pre-cut! That mean there is no ridiculous cutting the excess off with a razor! When I read that I cringed. Next the hard work Frank puts in is amazing. This guy has the patience of a saint. He got to MY garage at 1pm and did not leave till 7:45pm. He did not leave till he was sure there was nothing wrong. Then asked me to go over the whole job and made sure I was happy.

The money it costs to do this job is money well spent. I have read posts that these guys are paying a little cheaper for their jobs BUT then I read they have NUMEROUS problems afterwards.

Car Crafters is a quality company that takes time and cares about the job they do. That is hard to find these days!

I wrote this thread because I have had a GREAT experience with this company. I was NOT TOLD to write this either. I figured everyone should know where to get a great clear bra installation plus he comes to YOU!

If you want this job done right contact Car Crafters and tell them Paul "SixRB6" from this web site sent you!
Attached Thumbnails Clear Bra Install Review!  My experience...Check it out!-picture-041.jpg  
Old 10-08-2003, 09:44 PM
350ed
Professional

Do you have any gaps above the grill, below the headlights, or at the side markers? TIA.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:53 PM
350ed
Professional

Oh yeah, do you know what kit he used? Xpell?
Old 10-09-2003, 04:47 AM
havabooz

im really glad that it worked out well ...im still waiting to see your car

i had my bra dont by Thomas at Secondary Exposure

now this man is a genious

the reason i wouldnt particulary like pre-cut kits is because you cant get the optimal "covering"....he used a blade and man lemme tell you hes sooooo good at it...i have absoluelty no visible anythings!!

i think i am going to clear my front lip by him after i have it painted
Old 10-09-2003, 04:48 AM
havabooz

o yeh..thats another thing..they dont make a "precut kit" for aftermarket pieces...so sooner or later your car has to go under the knife
Old 10-09-2003, 05:25 AM
SixRB6

350ed Oh yeah, do you know what kit he used? Xpell?
350ed Do you have any gaps above the grill, below the headlights, or at the side markers? TIA.
The kit I believe is 3M, and there are no gaps above the grille or near the side markers. Below the headlight there is not a gap either. He actually has asmall piece that sits right below the headlight.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:29 AM
SixRB6

havabooz o yeh..thats another thing..they dont make a "precut kit" for aftermarket pieces...so sooner or later your car has to go under the knife
This is true....He is doing my veilside Lip after it is painted and they don't make a pre-cut piece for this. HOWEVER, they are measureing the lip getting the exact dimensions then having the computer pre-cut a special piece!!
Not going under the KNIFE!!

Hey whats up with that Veilside rear bumper havabooz?

I am putting a post up again! I can't believe nobody wants it.

Also, are you going to the Z meet on Oct. 25th??
Old 10-09-2003, 09:56 PM
krinkov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 350ed
Oh yeah, do you know what kit he used? Xpell?
This was an Invica-shield kit, they sell all their kits in multiple peices to make them easy enough for the DIY installer. read more about them here.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ht=invisiguard
Attached Thumbnails Clear Bra Install Review!  My experience...Check it out!-invica.jpg  
Old 10-10-2003, 04:52 AM
SixRB6

Originally posted by krinkov
This was an Invica-shield kit, they sell all their kits in multiple peices to make them easy enough for the DIY installer. read more about them here.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ht=invisiguard
Yes!! it is that kit, thanks Krinkov!
Old 10-10-2003, 08:29 PM
Boske

Default Clear bar, but a different cut

I had my 3M put on at the dealer before I picked up the car. Mine covers the lower 1/4 of the hood and the front fenders. They don't do the bumber as it is plastic.

The sales guy said 'It is plastic so you just repaint it if it gets scared badly'

I have an edge that goes acros the hood, but it is better than the alternative.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:38 PM
alphared

where the shop at? how much did it end up costing?
Old 10-12-2003, 08:19 PM
Car Crafters

SixRB6,

First let me just say this. I just flew back from Florida, and have been up for 34 hours straight, so if I misspell anything, or my sentences don't make the most sense, just try to follow along with me.

There is no price I could ever pay that gives me the satisfaction I get from reading a review be it positive, or negative about my company Car Crafters. If I make a customer happy, then I am happy. If I dissapoint them in any way, then hopefully they will give me the opportunity to learn from my mistake, and correct what ever they may be unhappy with.

As I may have told you SixRb6 when I installed your kit, the biggest problem I have had is that I am spread a bit too thin. My company will never grow beyond myself because I don't think I could ever find anyone that I could hire that would ever take as much time, or care as much about making my customers as happy as myself, so I am destined to remain a one man shop, probably forever. I have literally wound up having to travel all over the country to do cars for people because I just can't say no to a car enthusiast like yourself.

I absolutely love my work, and as you know after having me install your kit, have gone many a sleepless night if I don't think something I have done is perfect. I have been doing this for 6 years now, and anytime a person is unhappy with any detail of my work no matter how small it may be it just eats me up inside.

My personal opinion on Pre-Cut Kits Versus the ones that are cut on the car are the following:

1. The Pre-Cut kits are more precisely matched on every piece of the car. Example (Right Fender, and Left Fender, etc)

2. While you may see no visible damage done to your vehicle when a Non Pre-Cut kit is installed on your vehicle, you probably will. Just wait six months until the rust lines start to show from where the Installer accidently went thru the film, and pierced the finish on your new car. Boy this is quite a ghastly site, I can personally assure you, this is something you never ever want to see. At least on your own car.

3. If a specific part of the car ever becomes damaged, or needs to be individually replaced due to an accident, or if the film became damaged in some way a replacement piece is only a phone call away, and it will be an exact match of what was already on the car.

4. Pre-Cut kits have a purposefully beveled edge to insure that it is less visibly noticeable, and more importantly that when you wash your car you don't wind up catching your sponge on an unfinished edge, which over a long period of time will cause the film to lift.

5. Additionally the film while manufactured by 3M only comes from the factory with a 1 Year warranty. The company which manufactures the Pre-Cut kits extends that warranty to 5 Years.

Sorry for the long blathering reply!

By the way I can be reached at the following:

Frank O'Grady
Car Crafters

Phone: (866) 444-6888
E-Mail: carcrafters@comcast.net

Last edited by Car Crafters; 10-12-2003 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:05 AM
jinxxycat

Originally posted by havabooz
which meet is on oct 25?

ill try and be there

ECZA meet 10/25 11am, Westtown Park, just outside of Philly. Check out the site ecza.org for details. Pats300ZX could be contacted also about this.
Old 11-01-2003, 09:18 PM
se-ex

Default i neva knocked pre-cuts....

since i started using pre-cuts. And it was designed to wrapped the edges too. But as I progressed and learned through install after install after install(it's not a job to me, but an art), I've virtually master the art of the install(squeegiing, scoring, heating, etc). SCORING on the vehicle is second nature to me. A proven custom clear bra installer does not cut the film, but he just score it. Every now and then after I score an area infront of the customer's eyes, I peel it off, and the doubt disappears. It's the amateur trimmers who give the real custom installers a bad name, that's why I realized most custom installers keep a low profile.
Btw, when I was working for a company and used pre-cuts, I had to score and cut of some of the edges of the pre-cuts after the installation. This is because a pre-cut piece is meant to be a 'perfect' fit. What happens after it's stretched into place? Some edges are deformed. Leave them, or cut them??????
Just wanted to provide some facts

Last edited by se-ex; 11-01-2003 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:36 PM
Car Crafters

Hmmmm Let's see......Just because he says he say's he has all the mad skillies with the razor blades, Do I want my car to be the first one to receive his first mistake???

As far as pre-cut kits not fitting because they are too perfect, that's actually completely false. These kits no matter who the company often have rough edges, miscuts, and if you do get a perfect cut kit, there should never, ever be a problem ligning it up. Not to mention that any installer that is overstretching film on an install is overstretching the statement that he is a custom installer.

As far as "Custom Installers" keeping a low profile, you bet they will keep one, espescially after they glide that razor over the paint of your new car. Let's think for a moment, how many times we have read in this forum, or another that someone's car was screwed up by an amateur "Custom Installer" when they pierced, or in your case "Scored the film" just a pinch too hard.

Come on Buddy, you are asking people to take totally unnescessary risks on their new car that they just slaved to buy. I have been doing this for six years now, and I am positive that if I felt like taking the risk that I could install uncut kits all day long and think I did a great job, until 6 months later when the little red rust lines start, Then what? Have you even had the opportunity to remove a piece of film that say you installed 3 years ago to see how you hacked up that poor guys paint??? Well, I have and I have seen the look on the poor guy's face that paid $700 to $1000 for one of those "Custom Jobs", and believe me my friend, it ain't pretty.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:32 PM
se-ex

getting into 'fighting' match is not my style. But i just want to justify my ability by stating that i've done custom installs on NUMEROUS dealership vehicles, AND some have came back after the getting into accident and have the film removed. I've not received nor heard about 'cut' lines on the paint. In addition, like i said, for my skeptical prospects before they became my customers, i would trim the film right on the painted surface and peel the film off to earn their trust. Competitions are in all businesses, but it would be unprofessional of me to knock on my competition's ability based on my assumptions. Especially that I've been installing long enough and possessed a good enough reputation to not have to bad mouth another installer.

Last edited by se-ex; 11-08-2003 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:47 PM
Car Crafters

You are obviously not all that bright, so let me explain it to you one more time.

I NEVER commented on your or anyone else’s Installation abilities. I simply explained the common sense and logic of why no person with any intellect whatsoever would allow a complete stranger to cut film on their car with anything as sharp as a razor no matter how good they were at Scoring, cutting, hacking at, or otherwise. Common sense dictates that anyone no matter how good is bound to make a mistake eventually, and majority of the average installers more often than not.

Let’s use this EASY TO UNDERSTAND EXAMPLE: A doctor using a scalpel who has had far many more years of training with precision cutting by hand needs to have only about 1/10th the precision when cutting skin on a person that you need to cut this film just right as to not pierce it. If you are off by hardly anything in your cut, YOU, ME, or ANYONE ELSE doing this type of work WILL in fact cut the paint, it’s unavoidable. So why should any person considering getting this done to their car take this unnecessary risk. Pre-Cut kits are just good common sense, insurance, and piece of mind for the customer period, end of story.

Not to mention there is currently no certification available to let a potential customer know that you in fact are trained and knowledgeable in the installation of paint protection film and you do know what your talking about. Whereas, if some knuckle head tries to install a pre-cut on a customers car and screws it up, the worst thing that can happen is that the customer has the kit removed, and the knuckle head doesn’t get paid. In other words there is no potential to damage a customers car in anyway with a pre-cut kit.

You know I am almost thinking of just not saying anything further because I cringe to think of what kind of dumb reply you are going to come back with. Oh, and one more thing, Please have someone else proofread your replies before you send them, your misspellings, and grammar are killing me. Capeche???

Last edited by Car Crafters; 11-10-2003 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:04 PM
se-ex

Let me apologize, and I give up . You are right, my grammar sucks like sh*t. I get knock around about my illiteracy all the time . But I thought I only need to be good at installing to be here on the forum. That's why, like you said, I am the Bruce Lee in installing

Last edited by se-ex; 11-15-2003 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:59 AM
majik
Banned

forthe both of you...that was stupid...sounded like a thread i had a few days ago...where some idiots either wouldnt listen...or couldnt see anyones point...

i want to get clearbra...ok....anysuggestions? i understand that some one some where at some time cuts the film....probability says that ..at some time ...no matter how good..the freehand cutter sill slice into your paint....as the oracal says "it is inevitable" but at the same time...like when i played football....as a db i have never had a person catch pass on me in a game..ever!! at least 80 games ...all through high school and college when i played...sounds like bs..cuz the odds are against me that at one time in a game someone will at least catch a pass on my coverage...i can only say it has never happened ....and every one else can call bullsh!t!!

so i can see se-ex's point.....but at the same time i also see car crafters point...why possibly be the 1st time the expert freehander screws up before retirement....instead of 10000:0 your car ends up being 9999:1 jacking up the umblemished record....so pre-cuts seem to be the way to go....both of you need to be slapped ... more so car crafters...cuz you were more worried about being right...and you are..but you didnt see his point that ...barring skill...he has not had that happen yet...so he still does it.....you are convinced that he will screw up at one point...he is confident at his skill. i will get pre cut...why..for the same reason car crafters said..thats my decision....but i may be missing out on the best install because its not litterally specific to my lines....( yea i know they are all the same!) and i am going to get a kit...so someone will have to free hand that..unless i have them cut it before i paint...which i dont think you can do!

so ease up...i got two strikes because morons...including the administrator were more interested in proving points than answering questions... you both know more than most of us on here about what you do...so i ask you both this,.....im in okc....where do i go? who do you know...i am getting a vizages kit ...want a clear bra....***** in you twos court!! for assistance!
Old 11-12-2003, 11:49 AM
Car Crafters

Majik,

First let me address your immediate question; No I do not know anyone personally in Oklahoma who does this, that I could vouch for. I do the entire East Coast, but Oklahoma is a little out of my realm. You could try the Invinca SHield website for an installer near you www.invinca-shield.com

Secondly, I understand his point completely. He thinks he is not cutting anyones paint, but you will not know if he did until 6 months later when the rust ines appear, or if he doesn't go down to bare metal, then you will find out when, and IF the bra is ever removed. I have seen this more times than I can count. Not to mention the threads in this forum, and others about people who just found out their car was razor bladed to death. These people didn't know this right after the bra was installed, but they did find out 6 months to a year later.

I am not knocking him at all, or his abilities. He might be the Bruce Lee of Paint Protection Film, but my concern is just the potential risks. Hey, I am just paranoid about damaging my customers cars, and will do everything to avoid that.

Anyway Majik, Good Luck to you in your quest for a quality installer.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra Install Review! My experience...Check it out!