D.I.Y. Titanium Burning...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default D.I.Y. Titanium Burning...

I had a nismo titanium GT **** i tried to sell, but no one wanted it, so i thought i'd play around with it and try to get the 'burnt' look to it.. i might experiment more to change to purple if i dont sell it... i also didnt get to take images while i was doing this because i wanted to make sure i didnt over do the heat...

tools needed:

a. Bernz-O-Matic torch, (i used the propane cylinder and TS3000T torch head)
b. thick gloves for protection
c. heavy duty vise (something to hold the it in w/o catching on fire)
pot of cold water.
d. heavy duty tongs to hold item

Basic instructions:

1. Secure item you're going to burn in vise and make sure its not going to fall over. for the shift ****, i stuck a long stud bolt on the bottom from a left over suspension piece and put it into the vise and made sure nothing was around the shift **** that could catch on fire. have the pot of water next to it, and the tongs ready to move the **** to the water.

2. ignite the torch and depending on where you want the color to start, start at the top, and have the blue portion of the flame go over and around the item. the flames naturally moved around the ****, so i just had to go around and around it from the top..

3. Titanium changes color in this pattern:
it will begin with a normal silver --> gold -->blue --> purple --> magenta --> bronze --> green --> pink --> dark gray

4. Once you get to the color you want, remove the flame and submerge the shift **** in water. WEAR GLOVES AND USE THE TONGS. this thing will be freakin hotter than hell.

5. if you like the color.. stop, if not keep going. play with how far back you are with the torch, remember it will keep heating up a little even after the flame is off of it, so if you want to stop the color change, pull the flame off a little before and while you're undoing the vise, it will change color still until you cool it off.

6. screw up? i read some where all you have to do is use a mild abrasive material and 'polish' the surface off until u get the normal silverish color back. i haven't screwed up yet, so ill let you know if that ever happens.. ;P

before:

after:

Last edited by Chebosto; 09-14-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:42 PM
oh4TreefiddyZee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you seen the DIY wit Diet Coke? Pretty cool stuff.

I burnt my ARC engine cover myself, I'll have to post pictures later. Yet another great DIY from Cheston.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:20 PM
2k6-z33

Looks great Cheston!
Old 09-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks sick in the 2nd pic Mugen Green.. But the last pic it looks brown....
Old 09-14-2009, 10:47 PM
shensuji

Originally Posted by oh4TreefiddyZee
Have you seen the DIY wit Diet Coke? Pretty cool stuff.

I burnt my ARC engine cover myself, I'll have to post pictures later. Yet another great DIY from Cheston.
Diet coke? ..... subscribing.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:17 AM
BLUby_U

looks good! you should post some installed pics
Old 09-15-2009, 08:16 AM
krono

DAMN YOU. . . now i feel this unexplainable desire to burn titanium just because. . . .

Old 09-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Done Deal DR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw this in Import Tuner last night. It was one of the better DIY articles I've seen in a mag in a while, though it was certainly lacking details.

Good job Cheston.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:48 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shensuji
Diet coke? ..... subscribing.
basically you have to get a fairly decent sized current going through a fluid (several batteries connected or use a power supply).... diet coke is conductive.. so, pour coke onto ti object, place the + and - ends of a large battery array to coke on the object, and ZZAAP, it will 'burn it' with varying degrees of color and give it a random burn pattern..

here you go:

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/20...um-technicolor

Dept.: Gray Matter
Element: Titanium
Project: Anodizing a titanium birdhouse
Cost: $75
Time: 2 hours
Dabbler | | | | | MasterThe Guggenheim Bilbao museum in Spain is the largest titanium-clad building in the world,
with 344,000 square feet of 16-thousandths-of-an-inch-thick pure titanium, designed by Frank Gehry. It´s quite a pile, and I understand they also have art or something inside. To learn more about working with titanium sheeting, I set out to build a modern architectural wonder of my own: the Guggenheim East-Central
Illinois Birdhouse.

Titanium justifies its high cost (I paid $33 a square foot at titanium.com) by its great strength, its weather resistance and its lovely colorful oxide layers. A transparent coating of oxide just a few wavelengths of light thick creates color on the surface through wave interference created when light reflected off the coating meets light reflected off the metal surface underneath.

Iron spontaneously forms an oxide layer—what we call rust—but it´s not transparent. Aluminum forms a transparent layer, but it´s too thick to make colors. Titanium is too chemically stable to form a coating spontaneously, which is partly why it´s such a good metal for buildings, but you can force the coating artificially using nine-volt batteries, a paper towel and a solution containing phosphoric acid (I prefer Diet Pepsi, but any cola will do).

The idea is to run current through the soda and into the metal surface. Attach the batteries, then dip the titanium in a tub of cola to cover the whole surface, or use a pad or brush soaked in the soda of your choice and clipped to a battery to “paint” or form patterns. You can even use tinfoil to distribute current through a paper towel placed over a stencil.

As current flows to the metal, an insulating layer of oxide builds up, stopping when it is just thick enough to block the applied voltage. The thickness of the resulting layer is extremely consistent, within a small fraction of a wavelength of light. Higher voltage forces it to grow a thicker coating and thus creates a different color. One nine-volt battery gives a pale yellow, two gives light blue, three gets you to a deep blue. As you add more batteries, the colors cycle: A coating 3.5 wavelengths thick gives the same color as one 2.5 wavelengths thick, and so on. (Just be careful, because enough batteries combined can eventually produce voltages capable of delivering a painful or even deadly shock if you touched the wet towel.)

These colors are absolutely permanent. They are impervious to sunlight, acid rain, bird droppings, you name it. I wonder if the guards around the Guggenheim have instructions to keep a lookout for suspicious people carrying batteries and refreshing drinks. The possibilities for electro-graffiti on a titanium building that size are mind-expanding.

1. What a budget 1.3 million times the size of mine will buy you.

2. It takes only a second to form the color, so freehand painting with a ball of tinfoil wrapped in a paper towel dipped in Diet Pepsi is quick and fun.

3. Even the texture of the paper towel can be seen in the pattern formed by this stencil.

Last edited by Chebosto; 09-15-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:59 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great DIY! Nice job bro...now what can I do on my car lol