Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exterior brainstorming

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 12:43 PM
aaronz8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exterior brainstorming

So, my car is currently stock. It's a black 2006 base 350z.

Yesterday, I was tired of doing college apps, and decided to find some possible future mods.

I was wondering about other people's thoughts about this combo:

Nismo V3 front bumper

Nismo V2 or V3 sideskirts (i need more suggestions)

Top Secret rear bumper 2008 version

Matchless Crowd Racing Canards

I want to do appearance mods first, because being in high school, I really like reliability. I probably won't do this anytime soon, but I still would want high reliability in college. performance mods are too risky at the moment, in my opinion.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:50 PM
calin
Banned

Just keep in mind that if you go with any of those body parts, you better get some super aggressive wheels also (unless you already have some), and those will set you back quite a bit also.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:53 PM
aaronz8

Originally Posted by calin
Just keep in mind that if you go with any of those body parts, you better get some super aggressive wheels also (unless you already have some), and those will set you back quite a bit also.
yup, just haven't searched for them yet. so many choices!
Old 10-03-2009, 12:59 PM
aaronz8

i kinda like these:
Enkei EKM3

and

Enkei G5
Old 10-03-2009, 01:23 PM
JDRAGE

High School??! I hope you are selling dope on the side to get all this.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:34 PM
aaronz8

lulz nopes. just computer networking for money
Old 10-03-2009, 01:39 PM
calin
Banned

Have you calculated how much the whole kit (including paint and install), wheels and tires are going to cost you?
Old 10-03-2009, 01:41 PM
ChanceWarren

Originally Posted by aaronz8
i kinda like these:
Enkei EKM3

and

Enkei G5
FTW
Old 10-03-2009, 01:42 PM
ChanceWarren

Have you calculated how much the whole kit (including paint and install), wheels and tires are going to cost you?
More than he thinks?
Old 10-03-2009, 01:49 PM
aaronz8

This is just an early stage of brainstorming - I do not plan on getting much this year, since I'm so busy with college apps. I was just wondering what other people think of the combo.

It's $1275 rear bumper from intensepower.com + $1425 front bumper from z1auto.com+ $839 sideskirts from z1 + $800 canards from z1

I haven't searched hard for prices, since this is just a brainstorm.
I've seen the front bumper for $650, and i think I can find canards for < $800. I know these prices are pretty outrageous , like .

I think that when I want to start modding, I'd rather get expensive individual pieces one by one, than get a cheap full kit. cheap looks cheap
Old 10-03-2009, 02:12 PM
ChanceWarren

Originally Posted by aaronz8
This is just an early stage of brainstorming - I do not plan on getting much this year, since I'm so busy with college apps. I was just wondering what other people think of the combo.

It's $1275 rear bumper from intensepower.com + $1425 front bumper from z1auto.com+ $839 sideskirts from z1 + $800 canards from z1

I haven't searched hard for prices, since this is just a brainstorm.
I've seen the front bumper for $650, and i think I can find canards for < $800. I know these prices are pretty outrageous , like .

I think that when I want to start modding, I'd rather get expensive individual pieces one by one, than get a cheap full kit. cheap looks cheap
The combo will look fine, I think.. That rear bumper looks similar in styling to the Nismo ver3 rear bumper so you probably won't have much problems looking out of place. You may want to think about a hood; something that compliments the lines of this kit. Anywhere between FRP and dry carbon you should expect around $400 to $3000 respectively.

I'd definitely research prices. There's always somewhere else that has what you want for less. However, I live by those words and believe me, it is, as they say, an up at dawn, pride swallowing siege that I will never fully tell you about. But if you have time (which I'm guessing you do) you can do all the research you want. Just don't expect to complete your kit in under six months. At least not if you want the best price.

Someone mentioned wheels and I agree. Slick rims are a must for this kit, and I must insist you heavily consider getting them first. Now, depending on what you want, expect between $1200 and $4000 for wheels with tires installed, balanced, and shipped, depending on what brand of wheel/tires you get.

Also, think about paint. Are you gonna paint these pieces stock color or is there another color that you might want to consider. If so, you've just potentially added another $8k to your bill. Your paint decision may also affect your wheel decision.

All said, what are you looking at? That's a kit, wheels, hood, and paint... uhh.. neighborhood of $14k?

Just putting that out there. Something to think about.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:24 PM
hellsoldiers08

Wow, i would say f that keep the car a sleeper and put some turbos on for that price. I say honestly get the performance products out of the way and then work on the outside look. Plus if you ever get in a accident or something happens at the track at least it a stock piece and give you a huge reason to go aftermarket sense the stealerships like to charge a arm and leg for parts.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:32 PM
aaronz8

Originally Posted by hellsoldiers08
Wow, i would say f that keep the car a sleeper and put some turbos on for that price. I say honestly get the performance products out of the way and then work on the outside look. Plus if you ever get in a accident or something happens at the track at least it a stock piece and give you a huge reason to go aftermarket sense the stealerships like to charge a arm and leg for parts.
that's why I'm not in a hurry to do anything .

but about the turbos, I wanted to go that route but I can't deal with the unreliability. I can't have a car in a shop for a few months at a time, and risk my engine blowing up
Old 10-03-2009, 02:35 PM
hellsoldiers08

Well Either way if you do anything to the car your going to have the shop in for a while. If you do a build correctly and plan things to the up most detail then your car can become very reliable. At least you can go Fi for like 4K(kit) compared to the HR owners.

If i was you just do the basic bolt on mods and get a tune and go from there.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:42 PM
aaronz8

Originally Posted by ChanceWarren
The combo will look fine, I think.. That rear bumper looks similar in styling to the Nismo ver3 rear bumper so you probably won't have much problems looking out of place. You may want to think about a hood; something that compliments the lines of this kit. Anywhere between FRP and dry carbon you should expect around $400 to $3000 respectively.

I'd definitely research prices. There's always somewhere else that has what you want for less. However, I live by those words and believe me, it is, as they say, an up at dawn, pride swallowing siege that I will never fully tell you about. But if you have time (which I'm guessing you do) you can do all the research you want. Just don't expect to complete your kit in under six months. At least not if you want the best price.

Someone mentioned wheels and I agree. Slick rims are a must for this kit, and I must insist you heavily consider getting them first. Now, depending on what you want, expect between $1200 and $4000 for wheels with tires installed, balanced, and shipped, depending on what brand of wheel/tires you get.

Also, think about paint. Are you gonna paint these pieces stock color or is there another color that you might want to consider. If so, you've just potentially added another $8k to your bill. Your paint decision may also affect your wheel decision.

All said, what are you looking at? That's a kit, wheels, hood, and paint... uhh.. neighborhood of $14k?

Just putting that out there. Something to think about.
Hmm, I'm not much of a hood guy. I haven't really seen any hood I particularly like, other than those amuse ones. (too expensive, since, like I said, I'm not much of a hood guy).

About wheels, I was thinking maybe just get midrange. I don't wanna be paranoid about scratching them, even though I've never hit a curb
The Enkei g5's are ~$150 each so not too bad
$.01 according to http://www.outperformanceshop.com/Ou...009-s/2897.htm with minimum of 15000 quantity hahaha
_wow nevermind these don't fit the 350z i don't think..._

no idea about tires

I would want to paint black. I'm not sure about different shades of black... I like the stock color, but maybe less scratch prone paint?

Thanks for the long answer

Last edited by aaronz8; 10-03-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:48 PM
hellsoldiers08

Well word of advice when doing things with a Z. Get things done right the first time and dont go cheep because like they say you get what you pay for.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:01 PM
ChanceWarren

Keep in mind my $14k estimate was conservative... When I think about it... $14k without the hood and that's on the CHEAP. Invariably, your biggest cost will be painting and honestly? You can get a cheap paint job for like a grand but please, for the love of God, don't get a cheap paint job. I've probably said too much just by telling you they're out there. In fact, just forget I said anything about cheap paint jobs. And the price you see for those wheels is deceiving. $150 for each rim. $100 for each tire (cheap ones). $400 for installation and balancing (if you're lucky). Or find them with Wheel and Tire packages for $11-1200 (probably, I didn't search), shipping included (or not - $250+).

Also, on the subject of wheels. Keep in mind that wheel selection isn't always about looks. If you're planning on going FI eventually, you might want to consider how wide/big or small/offset/etc. you want them to be. Some people on this forum will tell you exacting standards of those specifications that will prevent you from getting flamed into oblivion, but I believe it's up to the car owner to decide what's too much or not enough for them. Just be reasonable. Do some research into suspension geometry and how it's affected by dynamic changes in ride height. That would be a good place to start when deciding your wheels.

Then of course you can start thinking about lowering. Springs or Coilovers? Will you need new arms and links to compensate for how low you want to go? Remember there's a balance that needs to be maintained where ride height changes from beneficial to detrimental to your cars performance... but I digress. It is an inevitable never ending cycle that you can not possibly escape.

Again. Just throwing that out there. Something to think about.

ed: I never really said, but I like your choice in body kit parts. That's a look I can get behind. One exception though. Canards. You don't need canards. Forget about the canards. Go FI, then think about canards.

Last edited by ChanceWarren; 10-03-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:11 PM
aaronz8

Originally Posted by ChanceWarren
Keep in mind my $14k estimate was conservative... When I think about it... $14k without the hood and that's on the CHEAP. Invariably, your biggest cost will be painting and honestly? You can get a cheap paint job for like a grand but please, for the love of God, don't get a cheap paint job. I've probably said too much just by telling you they're out there. In fact, just forget I said anything about cheap paint jobs. And the price you see for those wheels is deceiving. $150 for each rim. $100 for each tire (cheap ones). $400 for installation and balancing (if you're lucky). Or find them with Wheel and Tire packages for $11-1200 (probably, I didn't search), shipping included (or not - $250+).

Also, on the subject of wheels. Keep in mind that wheel selection isn't always about looks. If you're planning on going FI eventually, you might want to consider how wide/big or small/offset/etc. you want them to be. Some people on this forum will tell you exacting standards of those specifications that will prevent you from getting flamed into oblivion, but I believe it's up to the car owner to decide what's too much or not enough for them. Just be reasonable. Do some research into suspension geometry and how it's affected by dynamic changes in ride height. That would be a good place to start when deciding your wheels.

Then of course you can start thinking about lowering. Springs or Coilovers? Will you need new arms and links to compensate for how low you want to go? Remember there's a balance that needs to be maintained where ride height changes from beneficial to detrimental to your cars performance... but I digress. It is an inevitable never ending cycle that you can not possibly escape.

Again. Just throwing that out there. Something to think about.

ed: I never really said, but I like your choice in body kit parts. That's a look I can get behind. One exception though. Canards. You don't need canards. Forget about the canards. Go FI, then think about canards.

Awesome reply, thanks for the help!
Old 10-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Hydralisk

Or, just a thought:

Some nice Volk TE37 + Stance coilovers.
5 grand and people will say they fapped to your car. Maybe throw in a subtle front lip .

Then after school when you make more money, you can buy all the body parts and your car will just get sicker and sicker each time you post a pic!
Old 10-03-2009, 04:31 PM
aaronz8

Originally Posted by Hydralisk
Or, just a thought:

Some nice Volk TE37 + Stance coilovers.
5 grand and people will say they fapped to your car. Maybe throw in a subtle front lip .

Then after school when you make more money, you can buy all the body parts and your car will just get sicker and sicker each time you post a pic!
ehh, don't really like the look of the te37's. but stance coilovers

oh noes, too much stuff on my WANT NOW list haha

Quick Reply: exterior brainstorming