Sponsored by:

Installing oem GPS..???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 02:39 AM
tomei_p

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing oem GPS..???

Hi everyone,
I have this interesting question to make...I have a track pack edition and want to install the oem GPS. How would that be possible?do you know if the wire harness of the gps is bolt on without cutting wires and so on?? I have everything in my hands including the gps and the panel but i don't know what to do with the wires.
Any ideas??
Thanks
Old 11-23-2009, 03:24 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

DVD Navigation was a option for the Track so I assume it is possible. Begin with a factory service manual showing all wiring. If you are missing a key harness, it may be available from Nissan.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:10 AM
tomei_p

yes that's a start, but i hope i will avoid cutting the wires..possibly it is bolt on..but i can only see this by taking off the panel. Cause from a little research that i did, i found no info...

Last edited by tomei_p; 11-23-2009 at 04:23 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:37 AM
Michla22

I've done this before from one Z with nav into a Z without nav. 6hrs of wiring Hell - I would not do it again.

It all came out well but you will need to cut into the main harness - it uses the car's speedo and such to determine motion = for some reason it doesn't purely go off of satellites and it's wired into lots of components of the car. If your car didn't come with it stock you're better off selling the gps to someone with a broken stock one and buying an aftermarket unit.

This should scare you off:

Last edited by Michla22; 11-23-2009 at 04:45 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:43 AM
tomei_p

The track pack is supposed to be the most complete edition..but there are so many editions that i don't i am not aware of the editions that finally had the navi as an option...???!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 04:56 AM
tomei_p

You really put me into thoughts!!!!ohhh god!!!
The question is the one you made before..do all editions need to do this kind of job????
Old 11-23-2009, 05:06 AM
tomei_p

what edition was yours?from a brief research i just saw that track edition had navi as an option.

Originally Posted by Michla22
I've done this before from one Z with nav into a Z without nav. 6hrs of wiring Hell - I would not do it again.

It all came out well but you will need to cut into the main harness - it uses the car's speedo and such to determine motion = for some reason it doesn't purely go off of satellites and it's wired into lots of components of the car. If your car didn't come with it stock you're better off selling the gps to someone with a broken stock one and buying an aftermarket unit.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:54 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The model that you have wouldn't make a difference. If the car is equipped with Navigation from the factory then it would have a different wiring harness than that of a car that was not fitted with Navigation from the factory. This isn't a dealer installed option in any way.

So to repeat even if the model that you have had the option of OEM navigation and you opted out of it when placing your vehicle order you will not find plug-ins for the factory navigation lying dormant behind your center console.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:39 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CHIT!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:39 AM
tomei_p

that means i have to go through this anyway..

Is there any manual on how to install the navi?
Old 11-23-2009, 09:41 AM
o2sys

I say my thread should be sticky'd, here is an alternative solution:

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...ion-setup.html
Old 11-23-2009, 10:14 AM
datsunHEAD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a tom tom throw it in the cubby. THREAD LOL
Old 11-23-2009, 10:33 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Dear lord is this a nightmare. So how does Nissan add DVD Navigation? Obviously they are not splicing wire?
Old 11-24-2009, 01:19 AM
tomei_p

Is there any wire diagram that i can get on how to connect it?
Old 11-24-2009, 03:50 AM
Kwame

Originally Posted by davidv
Dear lord is this a nightmare. So how does Nissan add DVD Navigation? Obviously they are not splicing wire?
I'm pretty sure that they have different wiring harnesses for navigation equipped vehicles and non-navigation equipped vehicles. For example, when we were ordering a new '07 gauge cluster for Adam's car we found out that the number of different clusters that Nissan makes for an '07 were much greater than the number of different trim levels available.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:52 AM
Kwame

Originally Posted by tomei_p
Is there any wire diagram that i can get on how to connect it?
Get yourself a service manual and a Keg.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:46 AM
Michla22

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
Get yourself a service manual and a Keg.
Service manual for sure! I would have never done this without one. I didn't do this install for my car it was for my dad's car - he had two and was selling the touring model (with the nav) and keeping the performance model (in the pic).

I was able to trace the wires from the touring to see where they were going and I made a real large wiring diagram before I ever did the install (not sure what I did with that). Like I said is hooks into so many different electrical parts of the car I was constantly flipping back and forth from page to page of the service manual - I ended up just making my own diagram for the thing. I just got a nav antenna with my car pc in my Z. Heck use a cell phone!HA.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:28 AM
Wu-Watt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a Pioneer Avic.. Bluetooth is included too.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:49 PM
tomei_p

i got this gps for free from a friend...this is why i was thinking to get into the trouble..
Old 11-24-2009, 12:55 PM
tomei_p

Service manual for sure! I would have never done this without one. I didn't do this install for my car it was for my dad's car - he had two and was selling the touring model (with the nav) and keeping the performance model (in the pic).

I was able to trace the wires from the touring to see where they were going and I made a real large wiring diagram before I ever did the install (not sure what I did with that). Like I said is hooks into so many different electrical parts of the car I was constantly flipping back and forth from page to page of the service manual - I ended up just making my own diagram for the thing. I just got a nav antenna with my car pc in my Z. Heck use a cell phone!HA.
Thanks a lot for the help though..by the way is there any chance that you can post the link to get the service manual??!!

Quick Reply: Installing oem GPS..???