Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamps replacement under extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 07:00 PM
gregom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamps replacement under extended warranty?

About six weeks ago my left headlamp didn't come on when I went to drive at night. I tolerated it for a couple days... sometimes it would come on when I turned my headlamps on, sometimes it wouldn't, was really hit and miss. After 3 days it just wouldn't come on anymore so I took the bumper off and took the headlamp out and inspected it, everything looked good so I put it back in and it worked. Since then it's been working fine.

Earlier this week I noticed my right headlamp collecting condensation on the inside, but it's been working fine until tonight. Now it wont come on when I turn the headlamps on. I've not had a chance to take the bumper off and the headlamp out to inspect it yet but I might tomorrow.

Now I have an extended aftermarket warranty on my car that is still good... but i'm wondering if they can replace headlamps. Has anyone had to replace headlamps under an aftermarket warranty? I have the 'supreme' coverage which covers everything except a few things listed, of which I took particular notice to "...glass, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs...". Now I don't think the entire headlamp assembly is a lens or even considered a sealed beam. So perhaps I can get them replaced under my warranty.

So does anyone have any experiences they can share with regards to having to replace headlamps, especially if it has been under warranty? I will call my aftermarket warranty service dept. on Monday and ask, but I want to see if anyone here has done this before.

Last edited by gregom; 11-28-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:05 PM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gregom
About six weeks ago my left headlamp didn't come on when I went to drive at night. I tolerated it for a couple days... sometimes it would come on when I turned my headlamps on, sometimes it wouldn't, was really hit and miss. After 3 days it just wouldn't come on anymore so I took the bumper off and took the headlamp out and inspected it, everything looked good so I put it back in and it worked. Since then it's been working fine.

Earlier this week I noticed my right headlamp collecting condensation on the inside, but it's been working fine until tonight. Now it wont come on when I turn the headlamps on. I've not had a chance to take the bumper off and the headlamp out to inspect it yet but I might tomorrow.

Now I have an extended aftermarket warranty on my car that is still good... but i'm wondering if they can replace headlamps. Has anyone had to replace headlamps under an aftermarket warranty? I have the 'supreme' coverage which covers everything except a few things listed, of which I took particular notice to "...glass, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs...". Now I don't think the entire headlamp assembly is a lens or even considered a sealed beam. So perhaps I can get them replaced under my warranty.

So does anyone have any experiences they can share with regards to having to replace headlamps, especially if it has been under warranty? I will call my aftermarket warranty service dept. on Monday and ask, but I want to see if anyone here has done this before.

It sounds like condensation got into your headlight and some may have leaked into your ballast. Once water gets into the ballast your headlight won't work anymore. Try taking the ballast off and letting it dry out in the sun. If that doesn't work you will have to replace the ballast which you can find on ebay for sale. I think i have one sitting around the house. Good luck trying to get the stealership to replace anything...my guess would be no but if you grip enough maybe, lol. Don't you have to pay a $50 dollar deductible with your warranty if so just go ahead and by the ballast and reseal your headlight if they won't replace it. It will cost about that to get a used ballast.

Last edited by marques1; 11-28-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they (Nissan) says yes, why not...
Old 11-28-2009, 07:17 PM
gregom

Yeah the ballast could have water in it but those are usually sealed pretty good... I don't see how water would of got into it but anything is possible.

I don't see why the dealership would care they aren't paying for it. And I would have to pay $100 deductible if everything went through. I've already had my left window motor and stop lamp pedal switch replaced under the aftermarket warranty in the sumer.

I'd rather just get the entire headlamp replaced under warranty if I can. I don't want to have to tear it apart and reseal it.

Jay'Z, the Nissan warranty has expired, the car has 70,000 miles on it. However if you are referring to a Nissan dealership, well they don't have control over aftermarket warranties. They have to call and request warranty coverage for a needed repair. If the aftermarket warranty company says no, then the customer has to pay full price for the repair or decline service.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Oh, you bought an aftermarket warranty.. If they say no, just buy new lights..
Old 11-28-2009, 07:26 PM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah the ballast could have water in it but those are usually sealed pretty good... I don't see how water would of got into it but anything is possible.

I don't see why the dealership would care they aren't paying for it. And I would have to pay $100 deductible if everything went through. I've already had my left window motor and stop lamp pedal switch replaced under the aftermarket warranty in the sumer.

I'd rather just get the entire headlamp replaced under warranty if I can. I don't want to have to tear it apart and reseal it.

Jay'Z, the Nissan warranty has expired, the car has 70,000 miles on it. However if you are referring to a Nissan dealership, well they don't have control over aftermarket warranties. They have to call and request warranty coverage for a needed repair. If the aftermarket warranty company says no, then the customer has to pay full price for the repair or decline service.
They aren't as sealed as good as you think they are take it from me. The wire usually gets in where the water connects there is a big gap where water can get in..it is your ballast.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:32 PM
gregom

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Oh, you bought an aftermarket warranty.. If they say no, just buy new lights..
Easier said than done, they are quite expensive, about $1000 each I believe. If I even had the money to do that, i'd upgrade to 06+ year headlamps that are bi-xenon, and not this hybrid projector/reflector crap in the 03-05's.

EDIT: Just checked on autocenter.net, they are $708.11 each (857.80 MSRP). The 03-05's are the same price as the 06+'s. So if I can get them replaced under warranty then i'll try and get the 06+'s since they cost the same.

Last edited by gregom; 11-28-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Easier said than done, they are quite expensive, about $1000 each I believe. If I even had the money to do that, i'd upgrade to 06+ year headlamps that are bi-xenon, and not this hybrid projector/reflector crap in the 03-05's.
Sir, you must not be looking around.. There are deals on here all the time for 700+ for a 08 set.. I just sold mine.. The deals are here... Try ebay too..
Old 11-28-2009, 07:44 PM
gregom

I haven't looked around you are correct. If I could find a set for under $1000 in good condition that would be awesome... still don't have the cash though. Regardless, I consider this issue an OEM quality issue and should be covered under warranty. I haven't modified the headlamps so they shouldn't be having problems. I understand ballasts and xenon capsules (bulbs) don't last forever but if water is causing the failure then this is a design/quality problem.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:03 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

"...glass, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs...".
Doubt it. This negates every type of light.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:07 PM
gregom

Chances are your right davidv but i'm going to give it a try... The headlamps aren't "sealed beams" those were the old days non replaceable bulbs. But they could classify the seal failure which allowed water inside a failure of the 'lens' and thus deny a warranty replacement. But if your really technical, by definition this doesn't cover a modern headlamp assembly. So I gotta try...

Otherwise, I guess I will just have to tear it open, clean it, and reseal it... and possibly buy a new ballast for it. If i'm gonna tear the assembly open then I might as well retrofit some real HID projectors in there and get rid of the poorly performing hybrid projector/reflector system. I could do this for about $300 probably and get a WAY better lighting system, even out performing the 06+ headlamps by a margin. Only risk of this is if I cant get them to fit and stay properly in my headlamps I will have ruined them, at which point i'll have to buy a whole set anyway.

Anyway i'm hoping someone has successfully had their headlamp(s) replaced under a warranty and can reply with some feedback of how it went and what all went down.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:19 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Chances are your right davidv but i'm going to give it a try... The headlamps aren't "sealed beams" those were the old days non replaceable bulbs. But they could classify the seal failure which allowed water inside a failure of the 'lens' and thus deny a warranty replacement. But if your really technical, by definition this doesn't cover a modern headlamp assembly. So I gotta try...

Otherwise, I guess I will just have to tear it open, clean it, and reseal it... and possibly buy a new ballast for it. If i'm gonna tear the assembly open then I might as well retrofit some real HID projectors in there and get rid of the poorly performing hybrid projector/reflector system. I could do this for about $300 probably and get a WAY better lighting system, even out performing the 06+ headlamps by a margin. Only risk of this is if I cant get them to fit and stay properly in my headlamps I will have ruined them, at which point i'll have to buy a whole set anyway.

Anyway i'm hoping someone has successfully had their headlamp(s) replaced under a warranty and can reply with some feedback of how it went and what all went down.
Its worth a try. I have a good relationship with my Nissan dealer. I have been given a break on free warranty work. I return and pay for other work. So it works out OK for both of us.