Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

APR splitter users: How did you mount it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:22 PM
misterniceguy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default APR splitter users: How did you mount it?

Anyone using the APR splitter? I searched around to see what kind of issues people ran into when installing, but haven't found any. I'm looking at the bottom of the stock 03 front bumper and it's not flat. The sides drop down further than the center. I saw some pics of one install and the splitter points upward because of the drop on the sides of the front bumper. Please share if you have mounted yours and have it flat. I'm thinking that some spacers to drop the mounting surface in the center, or find a way to push the sides of the bumper up. Pics would be best. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:53 PM
robbinsj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-16-2009, 06:00 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

waiting for pics, i want to replace my Stillen splitter with APR
Old 12-16-2009, 08:56 PM
misterniceguy

Uh, I'm confused, you want to see the bottom of the front bumper? I'm assuming that you are looking to see my splitter pointing upward perhaps? I don't have the splitter mounted because of the uneven bumper and I'm looking to see who has and how they mounted it to be flat.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:00 AM
misterniceguy

Allllllllright, when the weather around here clears, I will take off the ol bumper and get it mounted up. I will post pics and such to let those also wanting to run this splitter know how I worked my voodoo magic.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:32 PM
LuciaPwNs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe just get some pics of you holding the splitters up to where your planning on mounting it so we can say if it right or not and to show us what you mean.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:03 PM
misterniceguy

Hmmm. I'm pretty sure the splitter shouldn't be pointing up, so I'm going to say that it's not right to point up. I was mainly wanting to see who mounted theirs correctly and how they overcame the shape of the bottom of our bumper cover. Wasn't really trying to see if it would be right or not. No biggie, once I get mine done, I will post up so people that are interested in a splitter will see how I did it.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:47 PM
C Ray Z

Default I had a the splitter

I installed the splitter with the rear spoiler. The rear spoiler has been a great addition but the front splitter is just too agressive and fragile when hung on the OEM front bumper. I rolled into the kitty litter at turn 2 at Laguna Seca and the splitter dug into the gravel and broke the bumper. I replaced it with a bumper that has a small splitter built in. This has added the correct balance and the addition of aero has eliminated the loose feel above 90mph. You do have to rebalance the shock settings.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:19 PM
T_K

Cut the bumper.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:24 AM
misterniceguy

Originally Posted by C Ray Z
I installed the splitter with the rear spoiler. The rear spoiler has been a great addition but the front splitter is just too agressive and fragile when hung on the OEM front bumper. I rolled into the kitty litter at turn 2 at Laguna Seca and the splitter dug into the gravel and broke the bumper. I replaced it with a bumper that has a small splitter built in. This has added the correct balance and the addition of aero has eliminated the loose feel above 90mph. You do have to rebalance the shock settings.
Thanks, I'll keep the settings and such in mind. But how did you mount it up to be at the correct angles?
Old 12-20-2009, 01:27 AM
misterniceguy

Originally Posted by T_K
Cut the bumper.

Is this what you did? If you did, I would like to know/see what you did with the fender liner that goes up against the rear of the bumper.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:25 AM
C Ray Z

Default Mounting

Originally Posted by misterniceguy
Thanks, I'll keep the settings and such in mind. But how did you mount it up to be at the correct angles?
You need to make (3) aluminum dowels to space the front to be flat. They look to be about .75" tall or the height of the change in the bottom of the bumper. I also had to use four braces to keep the splitter from flexing at speed.

Good luck with the install. It is really difficult to get right.

Ray
Old 12-20-2009, 09:49 AM
misterniceguy

You need to make (3) aluminum dowels to space the front to be flat. They look to be about .75" tall or the height of the change in the bottom of the bumper. I also had to use four braces to keep the splitter from flexing at speed.

Good luck with the install. It is really difficult to get right.

Ray

Sweet. Thanks Ray. I was thinking of something similar. I'm thinking about getting some small dia. pipes and cutting them down to be spacers and getting longer bolts to go through them. I'll go to the home improvement store and see what kind of small tubes they have. Just got a bunch of snow here so I might be in for the next few days. I will try to document my install so others can see how I did it. I'll keep in mind the extra bracing you used too. I might pick up an extra set just in case mine flexes too much too. Thanks for the tips.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:10 AM
misterniceguy

First update. Went to the hardware store looking for spacers and such, but thought of a better idea. Maybe. Got a long M8 bolt ,and with 3 washers ,and 2 M8 nuts. The long bolt with the washers and nuts will be able to leave up to a 1in. gap at the center part of the bumper where it needs to be spaced. So what it will look like from the top to bottom is: bolt head, washer, bumper cover, washer, nut, gap on the bolt, nut, washer, splitter, washer, nylon locking nut. I think this will work. I'll report back when I actually work on it. Attached pic shows the hardware included with the splitter and also what I picked up to supplement it to leave a space. I will use the washer and nylon nut from the splitters hardware.

Sorry, no pic for now. I'll try again later.
Attached Thumbnails APR splitter users: How did you mount it?-splitter-hardware.jpg  

Last edited by misterniceguy; 12-23-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: pic added
Old 12-29-2009, 03:40 PM
misterniceguy

Got the splitter mounted up with the "spacers". Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails APR splitter users: How did you mount it?-mockedbumpersplitterclose.jpg   APR splitter users: How did you mount it?-mockedbumpersplitter.jpg  
Old 12-29-2009, 03:52 PM
C Ray Z

I started with the same locations but found the middle would flex down on my car and drag on the pavement. I added two more inside that were long versions
Old 12-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

found the middle would flex down on my car and drag on the pavement
ouch..
Old 12-29-2009, 04:20 PM
misterniceguy

I started with the same locations but found the middle would flex down on my car and drag on the pavement. I added two more inside that were long versions
I actually ordered another set of the rods, but so far it hasn't been moving around much at all. I haven't had a chance to get it over 100 since I installed them, so I will see once I get some more driving done. So far so good though.