usa_alex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where in ohio are you?
i'm at 44136-zip i have a CF hood on my car
so if you're close by you can come see how it looks
Old 06-24-2010, 09:49 AM
midna

I'm in 44720. North Canton. Thanks so much for the offer. Unfortunately, I am officially laid off so I can't do anything with the hood right now. Fuggin economy....
Old 06-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

if you're getting an aerosync bumper repainted, just get the oem hood redone at the same time.

for anyone running aftermarket hoods, authentic or replica, frp or cf, i highly recommend hood pins or aerocatch latches, do no trust the latch the company fiberglassed in to keep the hood down!!! its just not worth the risk that is caused by prolonged high speed buffeting which might leads to latch failure or worse, front end crash...
Old 06-24-2010, 11:03 AM
TheFarmer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by midna

Just personal preference or....?
It is a personal preference and also the fact that you seem to be worried about longevity and the future appearance of the product (which I don't blame you). Most aftermarket CF parts I've seen on cars that are used daily look like poo after a year or two (not saying all aftermarket CF parts do that, just most of the ones I've seen). Of course you could always refinish or take steps to slow down the fail rate.

I agree with Chesbosto, if you are repainting your Aerosync; paint your OEM hood with it
Old 06-25-2010, 02:57 PM
midna

Originally Posted by Chebosto
if you're getting an aerosync bumper repainted, just get the oem hood redone at the same time.

for anyone running aftermarket hoods, authentic or replica, frp or cf, i highly recommend hood pins or aerocatch latches, do no trust the latch the company fiberglassed in to keep the hood down!!! its just not worth the risk that is caused by prolonged high speed buffeting which might leads to latch failure or worse, front end crash...
Well I'll be repainting the oem hood. Too much to worry about with cf. But it will be a while before I get the chance. Thanks for the heads up about the latches, just one more nail in the coffin for the cf hood on my car.

Originally Posted by TheFarmer
It is a personal preference and also the fact that you seem to be worried about longevity and the future appearance of the product (which I don't blame you). Most aftermarket CF parts I've seen on cars that are used daily look like poo after a year or two (not saying all aftermarket CF parts do that, just most of the ones I've seen). Of course you could always refinish or take steps to slow down the fail rate.

I agree with Chesbosto, if you are repainting your Aerosync; paint your OEM hood with it
Thanks for explaining a bit more. With what everyone has been saying, I don't the carbon fiber is the way to go for me. The stock look is still very good, and the little aggressive edge from the vents is not worth the extra hassle and worry that I'm hearing about (imho).

I'm now laid off, so I'm trying to figure what to do with what I have now. The money is already there to get the bumper painted and put on, but the hood money isn't all there yet. Sucks, because you both are right, painting the hood at the same time as the bumper makes the most sense. Not to mention I had planned on getting a clear bra put on to protect the paint.

The bumper is already paid for, and will hopefully ship soon, but I may wait to get it painted and put on until I am employed somewhere. I'd prefer to wait and have it all done right, than skimp now and regret the little things later. I've waited years to have this car, what's a few more months for a bumper?