Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood repaint vs Seibon CF

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:43 PM
midna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hood repaint vs Seibon CF

Disclaimer: I'm a noob and I'm trying to learn.

I'm trying to weight the pros and cons of a new cf hood vs a hood repaint (chrome silver 2005 base).

Due to some great stupidity on my part, I burned through the paint on my hood . Anyways, no use crying over spilled milk so I was set on getting it repainted. However, I started looking at cf hoods and I really like the look of the seibon cf vt and ts hoods. Hood repaint will cost $470 after blending into fenders (and some fender repainting too) vs the $6-700 for the cf hood.

My question is, if I care for the cf like I car for the rest of my car (wash, pre-polish bonding, polish, wax) will it still start to yellow and oxidize? The Z is my daily driver so it's out in the elements rain or shine (garage at night).

I did some searching and found that some people clear coat the hood themselves? I'm terrible at painting, and now I'm very scared of sanding/buffing paint heavily at all so that's not really a good option.

Any other considerations with a cf hood? I've never dealt with cf before so I'm trying to learn. One of my friends said it is a bad idea since cf will crack and is very weak.

If the maintenance is going to be too high I don't really wan to deal with it since oem still looks good with the aerosync n-style I'll be ordering tomorrow.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Hexxus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on the brand if it will yellow and oxidize. Some do it faster than others. Some don't fit worth a damn, some fit like OEM.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:47 PM
TheFarmer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Repaint OEM.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:20 PM
midna

Thanks for the fast replies!

Originally Posted by Hexxus
It depends on the brand if it will yellow and oxidize. Some do it faster than others. Some don't fit worth a damn, some fit like OEM.
Any idea on seibon hoods? From what some people have had issues and others think they fit perfect. I saw a more recent thread about a guy who says his hood is yellowing faster than the other cf on his car, but I don't know if that's a one off problem or if all seibon hoods are that way.

Originally Posted by TheFarmer
Repaint OEM.
Just personal preference or....?
Old 06-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Hexxus

I have a Seibon hood with perfect fitment that's two years old and it isn't yellowing.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:30 PM
midna

I have a Seibon hood with perfect fitment that's two years old and it isn't yellowing.
And you get probably a similar amount of sun based on your location. Within 2 years I'll probably get it painted to match the car anyways .

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Hexxus

I'm actually having mine painted this month. I don't want to look at the carbon fiber anymore.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Brian@VeilSide
Vendor - Former Vendor

If you are looking into Seibon "VT" hood, I'll suggest you try the REAL thing and just go with the VeilSide Version 3 hood. Instead of having the knockoff, you can have the original design at a very competitive price. PM me if you want to go with the carbon hood, I'll help you out.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:20 PM
revvenue

Curious as to how you burnt through the hood?

I'm trying to weigh the pros/cons of the same question man... I hit a deer recently, luckily didn't come to my windshield (had just waxed lol... slid right off) but messed up my hood nicely.

Also, I'm considering "silver" carbon fiber. Check it out... There are a few out there search for "Titanium Carbon Fiber". It might look better on a silver Z unless you're doing the NISMO skirt kit/lip in carbon fiber as well. Just an option if you hadn't thought about it yet...

Last edited by revvenue; 06-17-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:40 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Even if you get a CF hood it will still need paint so you car doesnt look like the typical 2 tone ricer civic.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:47 PM
midna

I'm actually having mine painted this month. I don't want to look at the carbon fiber anymore.
Very nice , that'll look clean. have you had the painting quoted yet? I'm curious as to if there is anything special in the painting process that might increase the price. Just curious since this won't affect me for quite a while.

Originally Posted by Brian@VeilSide
If you are looking into Seibon "VT" hood, I'll suggest you try the REAL thing and just go with the VeilSide Version 3 hood. Instead of having the knockoff, you can have the original design at a very competitive price. PM me if you want to go with the carbon hood, I'll help you out.
PM'd

Originally Posted by revvenue
Curious as to how you burnt through the hood?

I'm trying to weigh the pros/cons of the same question man... I hit a deer recently, luckily didn't come to my windshield (had just waxed lol... slid right off) but messed up my hood nicely.

Also, I'm considering "silver" carbon fiber. Check it out... There are a few out there search for "Titanium Carbon Fiber". It might look better on a silver Z unless you're doing the NISMO skirt kit/lip in carbon fiber as well. Just an option if you hadn't thought about it yet...
Glad to hear you're alright! Yet another reason to wax, safety!

I was attempting to touch up a rock ding. The whole process was smooth until I tried to buff the touch up paint and surrounding area to look seamless. Apparently my hood paint was super thin already. I buffed with a foam pad and some "medium" buffing solution by hand. After a few rubs, right around the touchup paint it wasn't silver anymore and I could see the primer. Looks like a bird took a crap on my car all the time now since the primer is whitish.

I'm getting the aerosync n-style bumper. I'm getting it painted to match the car too, so I don't need to worry about matching cf anywhere. I personally would rather paint the cf hood to match since I don't care for the cf look, just the style of the hood. Budgets being what they are, I can't have both the cf hood AND it painted.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:49 PM
midna

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Even if you get a CF hood it will still need paint so you car doesnt look like the typical 2 tone ricer civic.
Paint would have to wait for a while unfortunately. My end goal is to have it painted of course, but the economy blows lately.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:15 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hexxus, you gotta tell me who's that in ur avatar.

OP, go with CF hood.. looks better than OEM.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:44 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Repaint OEM....
Old 06-18-2010, 10:01 AM
JRUBIO350

[QUOTE=maXmood;8465940]Hexxus, you gotta tell me who's that in ur avatar.

ive been asking the same question
Old 06-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

my OEM hood has some imperfections that would require a respray. I went with a seibon TS hood - my plan is to rock it while it looks good, and paint match it once it yellows. I've seen some seibon hoods that start to look like complete garbage after a couple of years.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:15 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Seibon hood turned yellow after about a year and a half so I took it off.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

if you want to keep a cf hood looking good you should get it recleared with a good quality clearcoat within the first year of ownership. I haven't heard of many staying clean for long. they are sprayed with a shitty clear and the UV rays just eat it alive
Old 06-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Slyde77

Originally Posted by maXmood

OP, go with CF hood.. looks better than OEM.
[QUOTE=JRUBIO350;8466644]
Originally Posted by maXmood

ive been asking the same question

Veronica Gomez / Veronica Von Horror
Old 06-20-2010, 04:00 PM
midna

Wow thanks for all the help! I'm very nervous about the seibon hood. Even in this thread there are mixed opinions on the quality.

Quick Reply: Hood repaint vs Seibon CF