Sponsored by:

looking for some seat options.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default looking for some seat options.

Ok. Tell me if this is impossible.

Ive been looking at ordering new upholstry from leatherseats.com. Its going to wind up being close to 800 dollars. Is it possible to get new aftermarket seats (brackets and all) for about that much +or- a few hundred? I dont want to blast 800 bucks on shining up my old cloth seats and then figure out that I could have gotten some bad *** aftermarkets for just a little bit more coin.

Ive looked and much of the nice aftermarkets are 1500 bucks or more. Am I missing something here?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Brian@VeilSide
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, are you looking for quality name brand seats or budget knockoffs?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:30 AM
arsey51

I'm considering the same - I wish there was a vendor/showroom that had seats to actually sit in/on to see how they fit/feel. The stock seats in my opinion, I have the base model by the way with cloth seats, are fine and quite comfortable. I have no issue with the way they fit but am considering having them redone in leather. Is there such a place in So Cal where one can go to try out aftermarket seats? If so, let me know, thanks.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:33 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian@VeilSide
Speaking of, PM sent to you, sir.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:40 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tackett
Ok. Tell me if this is impossible.

Ive been looking at ordering new upholstry from leatherseats.com. Its going to wind up being close to 800 dollars. Is it possible to get new aftermarket seats (brackets and all) for about that much +or- a few hundred? I dont want to blast 800 bucks on shining up my old cloth seats and then figure out that I could have gotten some bad *** aftermarkets for just a little bit more coin.

Ive looked and much of the nice aftermarkets are 1500 bucks or more. Am I missing something here?
OP-

No, your not missing anything. Any seats (Reclinable) that are worth a damn are gonna cost you at least $1500 including shipping and rails.

If your paying anything less than $1500, then you should just keep your stockies. For example, on the lowest end for some quality seats imho, Sparco Torinos or Sparco R505's will cost you around $1500 including Bride rails. That is the lowest, cheapest seat i would go, and they are both quality, great seats.

Now you could get Corbeau's for cheaper, and they make a pretty good seat for the money, but imho i would rather keep stockies than get Corbeaus. Thats just my opinion, though. I have heard nothing but good things about their seats in the past.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:30 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian@VeilSide
Is there anything known that's wrong with the budget "BRIDE" knockoffs and the like?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Tackett

Dang dude. I could never justify spending 1500 bucks on seats to my wife when I already have two functional ones. I'd love to get a set but I just can't justify that kind of money. 800-1k would give me the "look" you know what I mean, but I might be able to get it past her. 1.5k... she would just roll her eyes.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:06 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did a search and found a couple nice seats that'll probably fit in your Z:

Probably feel pretty good, too.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:21 AM
BillytheKid

^ id go for option #2 if i were you
Old 08-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Tackett

Those would definately cost more than 1500k a peice....
Old 08-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Brian@VeilSide
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by scotts300
Is there anything known that's wrong with the budget "BRIDE" knockoffs and the like?
I know that I would never waste my money on that garbage. A car can easily kill you. I wouldn't trust my life to some junk knockoffs just so I could save a little money.

Maybe they will work fine, maybe not. I just know I would never waste any time, effort, money on that crap.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:51 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 413 Likes on 236 Posts
Default seats

correct.... knock off= misery, in all forms... haha.

Heres the deal my man... Talk to Eric at leatherseats.com ;

My seats are the lick! I got the upgraded ecstasy leather, suede inserts, and a hi leather content kit, and they are exceptional, it is NOT katzkin stuff.

Check out my garage photo album..theres alot of pictures.. its a special order color tho as well.. took much longer to receive them.. but thier standard stuff is nice too.

Id roll with leatherseats.com stuff any day of the week. Aftermarket seats for racing need to be well built, and keep in mind thaqt overall comfort isnt really the main issue they shoot for..its about function and race class rules. i mean, they try to minimize race driver fatigue as much as possible, but still..its about weight, form and function.. granted alot of people pull the factory seats becuase they are heavy as hell.... thats really the only benefit to gettin riod of them.. and like u said, youre wife aint having it.. 800 bucks isnt that bad..

unless youre a straight up racer, or buy some SERIOUS aftermarket seats, you will be VERY happy w reupholstering what you have now.. just take your time picking colors and patterns.. stay classy w it and youll like the finished result. Please dont get fake carbon fiber vinyl inserts on bright red seats or anything.. haha.

I had them do the back of the seats in black leather so it looks slimmer and follows the same lines like the factory seats do... having the same color all over the seat makes them look chunky and lame.. try envisioning that while choosing your colors etc.

This is all just my 2 cents.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Tackett

Originally Posted by bmccann101
correct.... knock off= misery, in all forms... haha.

Heres the deal my man... Talk to Eric at leatherseats.com ;

My seats are the lick! I got the upgraded ecstasy leather, suede inserts, and a hi leather content kit, and they are exceptional, it is NOT katzkin stuff.

Check out my garage photo album..theres alot of pictures.. its a special order color tho as well.. took much longer to receive them.. but thier standard stuff is nice too.

Id roll with leatherseats.com stuff any day of the week. Aftermarket seats for racing need to be well built, and keep in mind thaqt overall comfort isnt really the main issue they shoot for..its about function and race class rules. i mean, they try to minimize race driver fatigue as much as possible, but still..its about weight, form and function.. granted alot of people pull the factory seats becuase they are heavy as hell.... thats really the only benefit to gettin riod of them.. and like u said, youre wife aint having it.. 800 bucks isnt that bad..

unless youre a straight up racer, or buy some SERIOUS aftermarket seats, you will be VERY happy w reupholstering what you have now.. just take your time picking colors and patterns.. stay classy w it and youll like the finished result. Please dont get fake carbon fiber vinyl inserts on bright red seats or anything.. haha.

I had them do the back of the seats in black leather so it looks slimmer and follows the same lines like the factory seats do... having the same color all over the seat makes them look chunky and lame.. try envisioning that while choosing your colors etc.

This is all just my 2 cents.
Thanks dude. Your seats do look freakin incredible. This thread has totally helped me out. You guys are the best.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

besides the unknown product safety testing, unknown hinge strength on reclining versions, unknown composite reinforcement...

not really.

willing to bet on personal safety for a few hundred bucks?

people should know not to skimp on the safety stuff
Old 08-05-2010, 06:19 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chebosto
besides the unknown product safety testing, unknown hinge strength on reclining versions, unknown composite reinforcement...

not really.

willing to bet on personal safety for a few hundred bucks?

people should know not to skimp on the safety stuff
I'm talking about the bucket seats, but I do agree with you. It just threw me a bit when I saw two seats for $400 as-shipped compared to $1600+ for the same REAL seats, so we are talking about over $1000 difference, and maybe more.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm talking about the bucket seats, but I do agree with you. It just threw me a bit when I saw two seats for $400 as-shipped compared to $1600+ for the same REAL seats, so we are talking about over $1000 difference, and maybe more.
yea. i know what you're talking about.

i was temped to get one seat... but for use on my Gran Turismo 5 simulator rig...

i dont think i'd trust that stuff in a real car...its rock bottom prices for a reason.