Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried to add automatic headlights to the 350z?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Romanteni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Linuxglobal
not as useless as the "cabin pressure module" DEI 509U Detects air pressure changes in the cabin

LOLZ

If wired correctly it might be cool to have.

It turns on the lights with the wipers which is neat
Works as DRL
Has a delay timer
and most importantly it turns on at night

I just hope its somewhat reliable and not a POS garden light. I will most likely use an oem sun sensor instead of their photocell.

thanks again for the find.
cabin pressure? So like if you fart it'll have a red warning light up on the dash?
Old 10-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanteni
cabin pressure? So like if you fart it'll have a red warning light up on the dash?
It's used in conjunction with an alarm system. It monitors the cabin pressure when the alarm is armed and when the pressure changes (in the case of a door being opened or a window being broken) it sounds the alarm.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Romanteni

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
It's used in conjunction with an alarm system. It monitors the cabin pressure when the alarm is armed and when the pressure changes (in the case of a door being opened or a window being broken) it sounds the alarm.
well yeah I know, I just thought my comment would appeal more to the majority of the population
Old 10-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In for progress out of curiousness but I never saw this as an issue myself
Old 10-26-2010, 10:31 AM
NismoZ_840

Agree, this was a lame omission that I can't imagine being a huge cost savings. What's even worse is the 2008 Nismo (and imagine all 07-08 models) has an automatic dash dimming feature so the hardware is already in place! Not a huge deal to overcome, but something you'd expect standard on a 30k+ car.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Linuxglobal

Originally Posted by NismoZ_840
Agree, this was a lame omission that I can't imagine being a huge cost savings. What's even worse is the 2008 Nismo (and imagine all 07-08 models) has an automatic dash dimming feature so the hardware is already in place! Not a huge deal to overcome, but something you'd expect standard on a 30k+ car.
dash dimming? like what it dims when it gets dark outside ? As in without any sort of input?

Unless you are talking about the headlight connected dimming (headlights come on, dash dims which is of course present in all the Z models).

Im gonna wire the crap out of this module to its fullest extent so i will take pics throughout. My other car has the headlights on with wipers as well so this module is pretty good for 34$.

I have an american Z so i will use its DRL feature as well for the small city lights in the front.

Ill keep you guys posted.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Umm... so whatever happened with this?
Old 11-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Linuxglobal

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
Umm... so whatever happened with this?
im picking up the module over thanksgiving weekend. I had it shipped to my friends place.

My car is stored for winter anyways so ill have plenty of time to install it and make a detailed DIY

Cheers
C
Old 01-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Linuxglobal

quick update

I have started putting together the circuit in a spare headlight switch.
The new switch will resemble the g35 controls with 4 settings

AUTO -- OFF -- SM -- LOW

I am currently working on adding the new connections to the green circuit board from the headlight switch to allow the auto setting to be selected. Making the switch **** turn to auto wasnt too difficult once everything was taken apart, there were a few plastic pieces that had to be melted inside the **** to allow it to travel beyond OFF.

I will attach more pics in a DIY thread, this is still in progress.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Linuxglobal

I forgot to mention, the switch will be using solid state relays to increase life span and make the connections the switch normally makes.

I will post up pics of the relays soon, they are actually voltage regulators wired for relay use.

I wanted to ask some of the members for input as well since i have a spare switch now.

Should i make it engage auto mode when set to OFF only?

Wiring option 1
OFF = lights are fully AUTO on/off once ignition is on and parking brake is down.

Wiring option 2
AUTO = auto mode for lights with parking brake down, ignition on
OFF = everything OFF
SM = auto mode off, side markers come on
LOW = auto mode off, low beam + sm on

OR option 3, external switch to engage AUTO mode which takes over any of the other modes so the switch can be at any setting at night and the lights will still be on.

What do you guys think would be more practical ?
In theory option 1 should solve everything since the whole idea is that you want to do as little as possible and have the lights come on and off on their own. However you can no longer have all lights off at night, so no more stealth mode

Im leaning towards option 1 since i can wire it internally anyways and make a blocker for the switch.

Hoping to see some input.

Last edited by Linuxglobal; 01-16-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:48 PM
SoldzMyZ

Any updates? I wanna add this to my Z too :^)
Old 03-25-2013, 07:21 AM
claudio.maras

First off want to thank you for your post... was trying to do the same and came accross your post and worked like a charm.

But did notice that OFF and LOW produced the same result not really sure why. What I did I soldered 6 wires on the positions in your drawing you specified OFF, LOW, SM on the board and another set on the connector pins.

However not before tracing down all the routs myself (view attached picture), the yellow route does seem to haev soemthing to do with teh High Beam lights.

If I connect all the 6 corresponding wires the lights turn on, but as I said just connecting the SM and LOW wires produce the same result but looking at the board when light swith is in LOW position all tre contacts are engaged which does produce the same result as connecting all wires.

I would suggest using as thinn wires as you can as otherwise the wires will be pinched when routing them out of the switch. I used not the thinnest wires so had to use my dremel to make some more space.

Not sure if the combination switch reads this info differently but from what I can see all the functions are there:

Turn-L
Turn-R
LOW
SM
High-Beam (While holding)
High-Beam (Permanent)

All I am missing now are tre relays to hook upp to the illumination wire as the lights are turned on when key is in the "ON" positionand turned off during cranking. I guess one can use the IGN wire but then lights are on during cranking and on a weak battery one might regret that fact.

Again thank your for your help so I thought I would finsh the post and let everybody know it works as I could not find any follow-up How-To.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried to add automatic headlights to the 350z?-light-switch.jpg  
Old 03-25-2013, 08:45 AM
Linuxglobal

I need to make time to take mine apart and take some pics.

I used 3 sharp regulators to make a solid state relay for each setting. It needs 3 since the high beam wont work without the off slot position relay engaged.

My switch basically has a thin 8 in 1 cable that i got from an old usb mouse with super thin wires running into the switch.

Im glad others are trying this out, I'm always working on lighting projects of some sort for my car and others so I need to keep up with pics and a how to. Your pics look good. I will see the schematic as to why the off and low produce the same results.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:23 AM
claudio.maras

Im sure you are right about the high beam and the OFF relay... I might be mistaken by I believe I tried all lighting settings in both configurations

SM + LOW

and

OFF + SM + LOW

I will double check again I might be wrong that the high beam worked when only having SM + LOW.

My next project is to create a AUTO TURN OFF TCS on car startup... plan is to using a timing relay hooked up to the ACC + ON wire, which would always reset the relay on CRANK. Then once time delay is expired relay engages and simulates pushing the TCS OFF button.

If you wonder why would one want this, simply because my car has over 600HP and a RaceLogic TCS which understands this... and OEM TCS doesnt!

Again wanna thank you for your help with this, long time been on the wish list as in Sweden it is mandatory to have lights 24/7. So switching the light switch every time is just a pain and many times one forgets and getting a ticket for that is no fun.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lolz at this thread. This annoyed me for many years and when my car became a racecar I wired it so that the lights came on whenever the car was running.

A bit different though as I rewired my entire car and there was no stock wiring or relays left in the entire car.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:46 AM
claudio.maras

I guess that sucks... as this was really a 20 min job if one knows exactly what to do!

Atleast you got really good at re-wiring...LOL
Old 04-05-2013, 01:38 AM
claudio.maras

Originally Posted by claudio.maras
Im sure you are right about the high beam and the OFF relay... I might be mistaken by I believe I tried all lighting settings in both configurations

SM + LOW

and

OFF + SM + LOW

I will double check again I might be wrong that the high beam worked when only having SM + LOW.

My next project is to create a AUTO TURN OFF TCS on car startup... plan is to using a timing relay hooked up to the ACC + ON wire, which would always reset the relay on CRANK. Then once time delay is expired relay engages and simulates pushing the TCS OFF button.

If you wonder why would one want this, simply because my car has over 600HP and a RaceLogic TCS which understands this... and OEM TCS doesnt!

Again wanna thank you for your help with this, long time been on the wish list as in Sweden it is mandatory to have lights 24/7. So switching the light switch every time is just a pain and many times one forgets and getting a ticket for that is no fun.
UPDATE
LinuxGlobal: You are correct all three need to be connected for lights with high beam to work as intended. However one could get away with using two relays instead of one for each, basically SM and LOW can be on same relay but the OFF has to be on its own otherwise the high beam does not work.

Just a little update, I am however running on three relays as this was tested after the fact I got all the hardware. So hopefully this helps to clear this up.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:40 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by claudio.maras
I guess that sucks... as this was really a 20 min job if one knows exactly what to do!

Atleast you got really good at re-wiring...LOL
Lol. I did it to drop weight on the car since it was a racecar. You don't get a 350z down to 2, 650lbs with an LS1/TH400 swap without drastic measures like removing as much wiring as possible.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:32 AM
claudio.maras

Originally Posted by Quamen
Lol. I did it to drop weight on the car since it was a racecar. You don't get a 350z down to 2, 650lbs with an LS1/TH400 swap without drastic measures like removing as much wiring as possible.
Yeah I guess that kind of diet requires drastic measures...