Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried to add automatic headlights to the 350z?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Linuxglobal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone tried to add automatic headlights to the 350z?

Now i know the feature isnt the most amazing thing to have but i kind of miss it from my old car. I just hate having to turn my lights on and off all the time.

Im just checking in to see if anyone has maybe found a quick way of adding the feature either directly from the g35 with some wiring mods, or perhaps some sort of add on module. I know all of the g35 vehicles have it so i was surprised to see the Z lack this basic feature.

Im thinking of hardwiring it which isnt very difficult, it would be tied to the ACC with a delay timer and photocell. Once the car starts (at night) the lights would come on and since we dont have an auto position on the switch a secondary switch would be needed to disable the auto lights.

We even have a little circle popout in the dash on the passenger side that would fit the sensor very well. Either that or it can be installed near the rearview mirror.

Im working on the circuit now so it runs standalone like a module without the other vehicle BCM.

Cheers
C
Old 10-24-2010, 01:41 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Ya i know, my wrist gets so sore from turning the switch. I don't know how they used to do it in the older days.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I think this is an available add-on for some aftermaerket alarm systems. However, I have found it useful to have the car running at night without having to have the lights on.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:51 PM
calin
Banned

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Ya i know, my wrist gets so sore from turning the switch. I don't know how they used to do it in the older days.

That's exactly the way I see it. Why pay for automatic headlights when it takes 2 seconds to reach out and turn them on?
Old 10-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Linuxglobal

Originally Posted by calin

That's exactly the way I see it. Why pay for automatic headlights when it takes 2 seconds to reach out and turn them on?
we have 3 other cars, and they are all cheaper than the 350z, yet they all have auto lights.

I would like to add it if possible, plus im into customizing headlights so its a neat feature to have. I actually like the courtesy on feature on our other cars (lights stay on for 30-90 seconds after car is turned off).

Got my answer, ill be building my standalone circuit so ill install it once i get the photocell sensor.

Thanks guys

Last edited by Linuxglobal; 10-24-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Kwame

Originally Posted by Linuxglobal
...I actually like the courtesy on feature the most on our other cars (lights stay on for 30-90 seconds after car is turned off).
If I need the car to light up a walkway for me at night I usually just leave the lights on when I turn off the car and they turn off by themselves after a few minutes.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Linuxglobal

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
If I need the car to light up a walkway for me at night I usually just leave the lights on when I turn off the car and they turn off by themselves after a few minutes.
ya im using that feature into the delay circuit
I sure they share a lot of components from the g35 so if someone really tried im sure we could easily add a button to engage the auto headlight mode.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:28 PM
BonesZ33

i just leave my lights on all the time, they shut off automatically when you lock the car, so they're always on. Do a write up if you successfully mod the headlights though i might be interested.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Linuxglobal

Originally Posted by BonesZ33
i just leave my lights on all the time, they shut off automatically when you lock the car, so they're always on. Do a write up if you successfully mod the headlights though i might be interested.
so you have them on even during the day? seems like a waste of hids + ballasts in an attempt to outshine the sun

I contacted one of my parts guys, so ill get the components and the light switch. I will most likely have to tap into the stock switch since the oem switch i am using keeps the low beams on after the car is turned off, sidemarkers turn off.

Ill try to keep this thread update as i go along. I got the idea after i modded the DRL lights for my car to pass safety, all of the lights are wired to the fuse box beside the battery so there is plenty of access to them.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:34 PM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hate the noise they make when you leave it on and open the door..after you turn off the engine
Old 10-24-2010, 05:54 PM
68Stang

I think this is an available add-on for some aftermaerket alarm systems. However, I have found it useful to have the car running at night without having to have the lights on.
Why you creepin?

Old 10-24-2010, 05:55 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am sure you can find a kit with a photocell. BTW where would you locate the photocell?

BTW the 370Z has auto ON-OFF. First time I have had the feature in a vehicle. Very convenient just to leaves the lights ON and never have to mess with them.

Last edited by davidv; 10-24-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:59 PM
Linuxglobal

Originally Posted by davidv
I am sure you can find a kit with a photocell. BTW where would you locate the photocell?
i will probably end up making my own, i havent found one yet.

The photocell GM vehicles use is as big as an led. I can put it anywhere on the dash beside the current alarm led or perhaps i can gut out that location and put the the sensors beside each other.

There is also another round cap looking thing beside on the passenger side that looks like the alarm led, it appears to be empty unless it has to do with the ATC. I initially wanted to mount it in that location. Im installing a gentex compass/temp mirror as well so that may be another location for the photocell.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Linuxglobal

Originally Posted by davidv

BTW the 370Z has auto ON-OFF. First time I have had the feature in a vehicle. Very convenient just to leaves the lights ON and never have to mess with them.
i saw the auto lights feature in the 370 list, i have no idea why they didnt have it in the 350z. Honestly i think it would have cost them 50 cents or less to add a solar light photocell in the 350z.

Even some of the shittiest cars now come with auto lights, it just makes sense. I hate auto lights that are always on tho. Like my van doesnt give you a choice, the minute the car comes on your lights are on (at night). Ideally a 4 position switch makes sense but not like nissan does it.

For some reason (on the g35 anyways) nissan has OFF - AUTO - SM - LOW BEAM

So at night, you flash your lights ON then off, then on again if you want to use the switch. They should have made it AUTO - OFF - SM - LOW BEAM

I plan to make mine have a hidden switch to disable the auto lights so it will work like my van where regardless of the switch position, it will turn on the lights the minute you start the car/drop the handbrake at night.

Maybe we can get some guys to chip in ideas on the wiring. Im picking up a few photocells tomorrow from my local scrap yard and some auto light modules from some gm vehicles to get them to work in standalone mode.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:54 PM
headhunterx

If you get it worked out let me know!

Richard
Old 10-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Kwame

DEI 545t, buy one, install it and be happy.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:05 PM
SamSpicer

haha kwame's creepin around spying on people with the lights off just kiddin bro
Old 10-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Linuxglobal

DEI 545t, buy one, install it and be happy.
why didnt you mention this earlier ?

i just bought my module

34$ shipped

Ill be installing in a week or so when i get some free time. I will post a how to for others. Ill try to keep it as functional as possible. The module apparently has a lot of useless features too

Cheers
C

Last edited by Linuxglobal; 10-24-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Kwame

The entire module itself is a useless feature. I kid.

Edit: Oh and you're welcome.

Last edited by Kwame; 10-24-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Linuxglobal

The entire module itself is a useless feature. I kid.

Edit: Oh and you're welcome.
not as useless as the "cabin pressure module" DEI 509U Detects air pressure changes in the cabin

LOLZ

If wired correctly it might be cool to have.

It turns on the lights with the wipers which is neat
Works as DRL
Has a delay timer
and most importantly it turns on at night

I just hope its somewhat reliable and not a POS garden light. I will most likely use an oem sun sensor instead of their photocell.

thanks again for the find.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried to add automatic headlights to the 350z?