Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on replacing turn signal bulb (07 model)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Louis21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on replacing turn signal bulb (07 model)

Hey guys,
My front turn signal bulb died after only 3 years, 40,000 miles. I went to the Sylvania bulb part database and it listed it as a 3457A. I bought a 2 pack that was listed as 3457A, when i look at the bulb its marked as 3457AK...not sure if that makes a difference, the OEM one is marked as 3457NA.
I went to replace the bulb, it was a pain in the *** to get to it without a lift or taking out the wheel but I was able to pull back the fender liner enough to reach. I unscrewed the bulb and replaced it with the new one. Before putting it back on the socket, i tried to turn the blinker on but no luck (still blinked fast inside the car and no light activity on the actual bulb).
I put the OEM back on since it was getting dark and i was outside so couldnt see much.
Anyone know if the bulb I got should work or do i literally have to get the 3457NA which I cant seem to find anywhere.
I then got real confused after i put everything back on cos it seems there's either a mirror below that bulb which makes it look like there's 2 bulbs when looking from the headlight or is there really 2 turn signal bulbs in there?? If so maybe I replaced the top one and should have done the bottom one instead?
Thanks!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:50 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I replaced mine with LED's and I thought there were two bulbs on each side, too, and bought 4. Duh. Any of those new bulbs you have should work, and the letters indicate color. NA = Amber, and I think the AK have a silver coating over the amber? Anyway, if they're not working, check fuses, check for a loose connection of the bulb in the socket, and check for voltage at the socket if you have to.

Last edited by dcains; 10-24-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Louis21

So it is indeed a mirror then right? Or are there really 2 bulbs per side? I'll check on the fuse box as well thanks!
Old 10-24-2010, 06:33 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Just a reflection. Only 1 bulb per side. I used my extra pair for the rear signals.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:52 AM
Louis21

Thanks for confirming! I'll check on the fuses today, hopefully that's it.
Anyone know where the fuse for the turn signal is? I've never really looked but heard there's more than one fuse box....

Last edited by Louis21; 10-25-2010 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:00 AM
Louis21

I am looking to see where I can find which of the 3 fuse boxes the turn signal fuse would be, now is it possible that if it is a fuse gone bad that only 1 lamp be affected? the driver side turn signal works perfectly....
Also something weird, if I am driving over 75mph or so and i put the turn signal (passenger) it seems to work (blinks at regular speed), but blinks fast any other time, also when using the hazards, only one side lights up so it would all seem to point to a bad bulb....sorry just brainstorming out loud here..
Old 12-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Maddox350z

I would like to bring this post back from the dead rather than to make a new post regarding the same problem. Just the like comment above, I was wondering if any of the 3 fuse boxes have fuses for individual turn signals; and if so what fuse box is it? Also I know some people say they have 3457 in their turn signals and some (including mine) have 7440. I also have a bent prong inside the turn signal bulb socket (is that the proper name for it?) I can't really just find a replacement socket piece online. I know this is quite a few questions, but would be much appreciated if someone could help out. Its the front passenger side turn signal.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:36 PM
daniel123588

Hi Maddox350z,
Im not sure about the fuse box questions, thats probably something you just have to check yourself and find out, simply take off the covers and look at the cover to see what the fuses are for.

In regards to bulbs, the 06 and up use 3357A/3457A, also the same as 3157 (dual filament). What you can do more a more nice set up is to use 3156 bulbs which only have one filament which will turn on only when you signal, this makes it more attractive at night instead of seeing that ugly amber with your parking lights.

You said you have a bent prong in the socket, it would be a good idea to post a picture since your not quite sure what the correct term for the piece you are talking about is. I am not sure how you would get a bulb prong stuck in there but nonetheless im assuming you cant simply pull it out with needle nose pliers or somethings similiar. Dont worry, heres the solution is you need a new socket base. Visit:
http://autolumination.com/connectors.htm and look for "Type 3: 3157/3156 Straight" $3.49.

Take off front bumper, take off headlights, cut the 3 wire for the top bulb and solder new socket, heat shrink and plug back in, voila!

I think that should answer your qustion, hope that helps!

Last edited by daniel123588; 12-17-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:31 PM
FliPPER_Z

The fuse is probably located behind the battery. You will need to remove the plastic covers to access this fuse box.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:40 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by daniel123588
Hi Maddox350z,
Im not sure about the fuse box questions, thats probably something you just have to check yourself and find out, simply take off the covers and look at the cover to see what the fuses are for.

In regards to bulbs, the 06 and up use 3357A/3457A, also the same as 3157 (dual filament). What you can do more a more nice set up is to use 3156 bulbs which only have one filament which will turn on only when you signal, this makes it more attractive at night instead of seeing that ugly amber with your parking lights.

You said you have a bent prong in the socket, it would be a good idea to post a picture since your not quite sure what the correct term for the piece you are talking about is. I am not sure how you would get a bulb prong stuck in there but nonetheless im assuming you cant simply pull it out with needle nose pliers or somethings similiar. Dont worry, heres the solution is you need a new socket base. Visit:
http://autolumination.com/connectors.htm and look for "Type 3: 3157/3156 Straight" $3.49.

Take off front bumper, take off headlights, cut the 3 wire for the top bulb and solder new socket, heat shrink and plug back in, voila!

I think that should answer your qustion, hope that helps!
On the 06-up headlights there are leds that light up amber. The blinker only lights when the signal is on. I never changed my blinkers but I would believe they are single filament.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:06 AM
daniel123588

hi Squalz,
I think your mistaken, otherwise someone may have changed the turn signal bulb prior to you. Either your turn signals are running single filament which someone changed prior to you or someone before you has cut the blue wire on the turn signal socket, or someone simply either taped or broke off the pin contact on the dual filament bulb so that it would not turn on the amber light with your parking lights. This entire conversation pertains to when your parking lights are on (night time), not when just your engine is running in the daytime.
Also the 4 amber leds are easy to change if you know how to do soldering and such. There was someone selling it on their site with superflux leds for like $40 bucks which is a great price!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:00 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by daniel123588
hi Squalz,
I think your mistaken, otherwise someone may have changed the turn signal bulb prior to you. Either your turn signals are running single filament which someone changed prior to you or someone before you has cut the blue wire on the turn signal socket, or someone simply either taped or broke off the pin contact on the dual filament bulb so that it would not turn on the amber light with your parking lights. This entire conversation pertains to when your parking lights are on (night time), not when just your engine is running in the daytime.
Also the 4 amber leds are easy to change if you know how to do soldering and such. There was someone selling it on their site with superflux leds for like $40 bucks which is a great price!
I have never seen any 350Z that the blinker bulb stays lit all the time and then blinks when the signal is put on.

The 06-up have 7 bulbs. 1 hi-low beam, 1 parking light (bulb 168) under the hi-low beam, 1 blinker, and 4 led lights. When I have my headlights on, my parking light, headlight, and 4 leds are illuminated, not my blinker.

I am not sure if we are misunderstanding each other.

Also I am the first owner, so nobody changed anything on my car.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:57 PM
amr_electron

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
I have never seen any 350Z that the blinker bulb stays lit all the time and then blinks when the signal is put on.
It happens when you upgrade the 03-05 HID headlights to 06-08 ones, Since the turn signal bulb has two filaments.