Sponsored by:

CF Hood vs. Rain/Water

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Clon3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CF Hood vs. Rain/Water

Hi Guys,

I know this might be a noob question but I'm in the market for a CF hood right now. Mainly leaning towards the Seibon TS hood with 3 vents on each side. Now, my area rains for more than half the year so I was wondering how the CF hood does in the rain? Obviously there are a bunch of people on here without a problem but I can't seem to wrap my head around how it actually works. From what I can see, the vents on the Seibon TS is directly right above the stock intake pipe where the MAF sensor is located. Now if it is pouring rain all the time, wouldn't the MAF sensor get wet thus creating problems? I know you can actually pressure wash your engine bay, but something about water going into engine bay just concerns me.

A lot of my friends have CF hoods with no problems on different cars, but it just concerns me having 6 vents on my hood with water going right into it. With this reasoning I keep convincing myself to just go for the Seibon OEM CF hood.

Any explanations appreaciated!
Old 10-28-2010, 02:24 AM
SamSpicer

I have 3 different friends with CF hoods with vents, everyone of them have had water mess something up. Maybe it wouldn't be as bad on a Z? However i have seen several people on this forum say if it's your DD that is going to have to drive/sit in the rain then don't. Hopefully someone else will chime in and enlighten us more.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:28 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Already discussed here...

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...ith-vents.html
Old 10-28-2010, 05:16 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What manufacturer makes a car with a hood that lets rain inside the engine bay? Just a thought.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:40 AM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have the oem cf hood. just get it if your really concerned or **** about water entering the engine bay.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:13 AM
ATL_Red_G35

Originally Posted by davidv
What manufacturer makes a car with a hood that lets rain inside the engine bay? Just a thought.
Mitsubishi EVO.

On a side note. I've had the Seibon TS hood on my G35 for couple years. Drove in rain, sat 1 hr in heavy rain, washed car, etc. No problem.

Last edited by ATL_Red_G35; 10-28-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:27 AM
dbrown

Just the thought of water geting on your engine should make you want to just say no!
Old 10-28-2010, 06:33 AM
dbrown

Just the thought of water geting on your engine should make you want to just say no!
Old 10-28-2010, 06:49 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

My Top Secret hood isn't carbon fiber but it does have a huge vent in it. Top Secret was smart enough to provide a removable rain guard that prevents water from getting through the vent.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:01 AM
Erik@R/Ttuning

Originally Posted by davidv
In addition to the Evo and STI you also have the mid engine MR2s.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:07 AM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rain getting into the engine bay is not the issue with CF hoods. The issue is the spots that the rain will leave on CF if it is not maintained properly. I think that those selling CF here at this site should included a link, or have details regarding care and maintenance of the products they sell. Many of us are/were unaware of what can happen. A heads up before, or at the time of purchase would be solid customer service, and save a lot of grief down the road.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:48 AM
ITOzann

Originally Posted by Z MANIA
Rain getting into the engine bay is not the issue with CF hoods. The issue is the spots that the rain will leave on CF if it is not maintained properly. I think that those selling CF here at this site should included a link, or have details regarding care and maintenance of the products they sell. Many of us are/were unaware of what can happen. A heads up before, or at the time of purchase would be solid customer service, and save a lot of grief down the road.
+1

I have a custom cf rs hood and rained ****ed the clear coat. Rain hasn't been an issue to me other than having to clean the engine bay whoever is rainny; about a year dd'ING on all sort of weather conditions
Old 10-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

I had a detail guy that came to my work that kept a wash/wax/clay schedule for me. Unfortunate bad timing for me, his truck broke down and he didn't have the money to repair it right away... and I was due for a wax. Needless to say, it rained in the morning and then dried out, becoming just another sunny SoCal day, but my beautiful 4 year old hood.. now looks like chit.

Immense elbow grease with compound, will mask it for a day or so, if I have somewhere to go and I want the car to look good. After the fact research states wet sanding and a clear coat are the answer... but money is too tight right now. Chit is... and chit it will stay. I have a really bad back, but I would have gone out and washed the hood and waxed just it if I had known this was going to happen. Total ignorance is my bad, but a heads up would have helped.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Z_HighSpeed

when I had an s13 back in the day I had dual 8inch (the hole not the total scoop) dual hood scoops that put the water right between the radiator and the block.

never had an issue - then again didn't drive often in the rain
Old 10-28-2010, 08:38 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Doesn't really matter if you paint it to avoid the two tone ricer civic look.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Doesn't really matter if you paint it to avoid the two tone ricer civic look.

I guess I fail, because I've been rockin this "two tone ricer civic look" for 4 years.. a diggin it.

Name:  DSCF0003.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  72.8 KB
Old 10-28-2010, 09:06 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

I guess I fail, because I've been rockin this "two tone ricer civic look" for 4 years.. a diggin it.

If the built from the junkyard civic look is you deal, i guess its cool or something.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

Originally Posted by terrasmak
If the built from the junkyard civic look is you deal, i guess its cool or something.
Right. Really? That sound you just heard was the sound of any validity to any previous or future statement you make hitting the fan. Troll much?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:24 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Buy the hood you really like and build some aluminum shields for teh rain wattur
Old 10-28-2010, 09:42 PM
TSG-Z

I had the Seibon TSII for yrs with no problem. As a matter of fact my blower damn near stuck out one of the vents. I have the AMS hood now with rainguards so I thats a plus. I was always told water getting ON your engine wasnt the problem, its water getting IN your engine is where the issues are!

Quick Reply: CF Hood vs. Rain/Water