Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare Tire Space

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:45 PM
nismo5a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Tire Space

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. Let me start off with some pics. Its a 2008 350z base model. All stock except for an aftermarket HU, amp, sub, and JWT intakes.

Spare Tire Space-hnvpx.jpg

Spare Tire Space-ajd3u.jpg

I just noticed that the left side of the spare tire panel is showing/protruding through the carpet in the rear hatch area. Being the slightly neurotic person that I am, I decided to strip the spare tire area panel/trim to see if anything looked out of place, but it all looked fine according to the FSM. I dont think it was caused by the sub because I put that in about a year ago and it still appeared normal in these pictures I took about a month ago.

(Before pic)
Spare Tire Space-ivxgt.jpg

Anyways, I was wondering if someone with an HR Z (its different under there on older models from what I understand) had any pictures of the cargo area with the spare tire panel lifted up so I can see if I am missing a spacer or something.

Edit: Just took a measurement and the left side support is about an inch higher than the right side toolbox/jack support. This height difference is pretty obvious even with the panel and trunk carpet covering it.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:20 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think Nissan added some padding to the underside of the left side of the panel as an afterthought, probably to keep it from rattling. The panel sits higher on the left side by exactly the thickness of the padding on my '08. That causes a bump in the carpet over the edge of the panel. Without that padding, I think the carpet would be flat and level.

Last edited by winchman; 11-18-2010 at 08:21 PM.