Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions: paint scheme on my new bumpers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 08:15 PM
bagged00

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default opinions: paint scheme on my new bumpers.

just wondering your opinions. getting a nismo v1 front and a chargespeed (non cf) rear. i do my own paint work so ill be dropping 160.00 on a quart of interlagos fire and painting them. so my question, the grille on the front, and the part that goes around the exhausst(dont know what to call it) on the rear, you think it would look best gloss black, satin black or matte black.

gloss black-least factory looking imo but would be the easiest to do.

satin black-im sure they make it sprayable out of a paint gun, just dont know what the cost is of it. again a pita painting the bumper 2 different steps but will look factory imo.

matte black-got the matte clear coat at the shop, be a little more PITA
because ill have to paint the bumper in 2 different steps. will look factory
Old 05-07-2011, 08:21 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

I'd do matte black grill in front so that it looks closer to stock.

If you're running TP's, I'd go with matte black so that your noxious fumes don't leave as noticeable of a coating on the diffuser on the back compared to a gloss. However, I don't think that you can go wrong with any of those choices for the chargespeed diffuser in the rear - even stock color still looks good on that bumper IMO.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:29 PM
bagged00

this maybe dumb ? but "TP's" means....? also what ever goes on the front bumper is going on the rear bumper. want it to be consistent through out the bumpers ya know. i more leaning towards matte or satin just because i think it will be more factory. somethings just looks best factory loooking imo.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:32 PM
HeyItsDan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TP = Test Pipes
Old 05-07-2011, 08:34 PM
bagged00

^thanks you sir.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:41 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

I actually thought about typing it out when I read it after I had posted it, but didn't go back and edit my post. Sorry.

Your stock catalytic converters keep a lot of the yucky stuff out of the air (and also from collecting on your rear bumper near your exhaust tips). If you have test pipes, the stuff will collect as a dark residue on the areas of your bumper near the tips, and a matte black will make it less noticeable.

Even with the bumper tuck mod to show off my exhaust, I still collect residue on my rear bumper.

Also, good choice on the bumpers, OP. They should look great.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:46 PM
bagged00

bought the car used, has knock off hks exhaust but the previous owner said nothing about test pipes so probably factory cats id assume. i cant wait to get them just ordered friday. got from strafe but i read good reviews on them and the fitment also checked how good the FRP material is and read good reviews on it. so hopefully no problems:crossesfingers:
Old 05-07-2011, 09:04 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by bagged00
bought the car used, has knock off hks exhaust but the previous owner said nothing about test pipes so probably factory cats id assume. i cant wait to get them just ordered friday. got from strafe but i read good reviews on them and the fitment also checked how good the FRP material is and read good reviews on it. so hopefully no problems:crossesfingers:
I think the fitment can be good or bad depending on your particular car, that particular casting/mold, etc. but from what I've seen, Strafe wants happy customers, so I'm sure they'll do everything reasonable to make sure that you are satisfied.

I love Strafe's SL2 front bumper. Did you look at it? The SL2 front and Chargespeed rear are on my radar if I change things up in the future.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:16 AM
bagged00

i did look at the sl2 i liked it but little to expensive for my money right now. the one thing that i liked about the v1 is how clean it is. plus it didnt have the lines on it like the v2 bumper so itll match with and 07 hood if i ever find one to put on the car. i dunno what sides ill get if i do get some? i think ive seen alot of amuse sides with the chargespeed rear.

edit: and i work at a body shop so if fitment is a problem, ill make it work. but i dont think fitment will be a big issue.

Last edited by bagged00; 05-08-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:31 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Satin black would look good imo.

post pics of the project upon completion, good luck.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:36 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

i did look at the sl2 i liked it but little to expensive for my money right now. the one thing that i liked about the v1 is how clean it is. plus it didnt have the lines on it like the v2 bumper so itll match with and 07 hood if i ever find one to put on the car. i dunno what sides ill get if i do get some? i think ive seen alot of amuse sides with the chargespeed rear.

edit: and i work at a body shop so if fitment is a problem, ill make it work. but i dont think fitment will be a big issue.
I hear ya on the cash flow. That drives 99% of my parts decisions.

Where is statesborro? I need to make friends with a body & paint shop.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:37 PM
STL 350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post pics
Old 05-08-2011, 03:06 PM
bagged00

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
I hear ya on the cash flow. That drives 99% of my parts decisions.

Where is statesborro? I need to make friends with a body & paint shop.
statesboro is an hr away from savannah ga which is right one the border of SC next to hilton head. i got the 2 bumpers for 455 shipped and i needed bumpers pretty bad, ocd killed me when id wash my car and bugs were etched into paint lol.
Originally Posted by STL 350Z
Post pics
itll be a while. i figure maybe 2 weeks till i even get it. and i wont buy paint till i know it wont affect me. so im guessing maybe 1.5 months till the bumper is in paint and install. what i like about IF paint is its not a common modded paint. i dont really see many modded. the only one that pops to my head is finalforce's car

Last edited by bagged00; 05-08-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:31 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

statesboro is an hr away from savannah ga which is right one the border of SC next to hilton head.
Cool. I'm in upstate SC. I have some body & paint work in the near future for my car, so I may hit you up with some questions later in PM if that's ok?
Old 05-08-2011, 04:10 PM
bagged00

no problem sir. ima a prepper learning how to paint still.i dont do alot of body work but i do some. however i think that i am fairly knowledgeable about painting, prepping, and a little body work.