Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad dent in rear fender.. What now!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 02:42 PM
shaddy-z.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad dent in rear fender.. What now!?

So this happened not too long ago while I was in school. It's a pretty bad dent, looks like the person next to me didn't know how to park very well if at all. The little dents are from somebody who tried to do "paintless dent removal". Seems like they did paintless dent infliction and it looks terrible. Makes me furious every time I look at it. Anyways:

I'm dropping my car in about a week or two on some coils/buying 19x9.5 +0 and 19x10.5 +0 wheels, and the tires won't rub because the fender liner isn't dented it's not THAT deep. The fenders are rolled as well. The wheel well looks fine, but if I ever want to pull the fender a little more to run an aggressive set up will this affect the look of the pull? I understand the dent will be there. I'm just trying to look at my options so far I've though of either

- just repairing the dent, then pulling it if needed. Total quote was around 500 dollars. This is my daily so it would require renting a car or car pooling. Kinda of inconvenient with work.

- leaving it, then pulling it if needed and putting up with it. If it doesn't affect the pull too much I MIGHT leave it.

- Installing carbon fiber rear fenders. How much is this..? More info is appreciated!

I would just like some ideas, I've seen other threads with similar damage. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Bad dent in rear fender.. What now!?-img_20110609_135432.jpg   Bad dent in rear fender.. What now!?-img_20110609_135444.jpg  
Old 06-23-2011, 02:44 PM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

PDR on that shouldn't cost more than 150-200 bucks, max! Get it fixed by a reputable dent repair dude. They should be able to come to your home/work and fix it within 30-45 mins.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Stock2Autocrozz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or have someone who works at shop wholesale you a new rear fender dirt cheap...pm me for details
Old 06-23-2011, 02:47 PM
shaddy-z.

You're positive you could PDR that? One shop said they couldn't because the fender is reinforced with another layer of metal. So it's dual layered? I don't really know, they gave me some long explanation and I was too aggravated to listed.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:11 PM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The quarter panels are indeed dual layered for reinforcement. Two sheets of metal are bonded together right at the fender lips (you can actually feel where they are bonded). To do a proper repair, you'd have to get the whole quarter panel reworked and painted (rear of door to rear light & bumper).
Old 06-23-2011, 03:17 PM
shaddy-z.

Originally Posted by angelo350z
The quarter panels are indeed dual layered for reinforcement. Two sheets of metal are bonded together right at the fender lips (you can actually feel where they are bonded). To do a proper repair, you'd have to get the whole quarter panel reworked and painted (rear of door to rear light & bumper).
So in other words you cannot pdr this? Im starting to just think that its not worth fixing if its so much hassle. Sounds like so much work just for a small dent. I just got unlucky where I got hit
Old 06-23-2011, 03:25 PM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaddy-Z.
So in other words you cannot pdr this? Im starting to just think that its not worth fixing if its so much hassle. Sounds like so much work just for a small dent. I just got unlucky where I got hit
If you feel under your rear fenders, you can somewhat visualize where the two pieces separate. They might be able to PDR this if they can somehow push on both pieces at the same time. Judging by the pictures, a body shop might need a bumping hammer to push the dent out. Hammer almost always equals to paint repair. Sorry dude, I hope I'm wrong.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:39 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Just take the car to a reputable body shop. If they are unable to make the repair using paintless techniques, they can repair it in the conventional manner. in addition, they could probably roll and pull your fenders at the same time for a minimal additional charge.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:46 PM
shaddy-z.

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
Just take the car to a reputable body shop. If they are unable to make the repair using paintless techniques, they can repair it in the conventional manner. in addition, they could probably roll and pull your fenders at the same time for a minimal additional charge.
Yeah I need to find a pretty good one around here. I'm done with the "cheap" shops I've had plenty bad experiences. My fenders are already rolled so if I need pulling I guess I could have them do it. My new wheel/tire setup will fit fine without a pull so I guess I'll put up with the dent for now. If I need to pull my fenders ever if I got more aggressive, I'll repair the dent at the same time!
Old 06-23-2011, 04:03 PM
cubu

time to go widebody... and there is no need to replace the fender, just get it fixed
Old 06-23-2011, 05:10 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

pdr generally doesnt work when the metal is creased heavily like yours appears to be. when theres an edge to it, it aint gna happen.. end result would suck anyways.

what do do now? the " Non full panel replacement" way is to have a pro pin weld it and use a pin puller, then shave the pins off and use some light filler ( since they did a thorough job of pulling hopefully), mask whole quarter and respray from door jamb to hatch jamb w taillight out. DONE.
prob 350-400 bucks id assume.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:32 PM
JFL_15

Originally Posted by cubu
time to go widebody... and there is no need to replace the fender, just get it fixed
+1.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:25 PM
shaddy-z.

Thanks everybody I'm going to see how my wheel set up goes then check out your solutions. On the bright side this could be my calling to go widebody, like somebody said. But I'm on a college budget. So that'll have to wait!
Old 06-24-2011, 05:16 AM
themadhatterxxx

Originally Posted by bmccann101
pdr generally doesnt work when the metal is creased heavily like yours appears to be. when theres an edge to it, it aint gna happen.. end result would suck anyways.

what do do now? the " Non full panel replacement" way is to have a pro pin weld it and use a pin puller, then shave the pins off and use some light filler ( since they did a thorough job of pulling hopefully), mask whole quarter and respray from door jamb to hatch jamb w taillight out. DONE.
prob 350-400 bucks id assume.
I'd say closer to $500 just for the paint part plus and another $500 atleast to fix the thing.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:21 AM
go kart

Dude someone left a dent in the same spot on mine only its not as bad. I already got it looked at You can't pdr it, I was quoted 400 to get it fixed and repainted.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Tenacious T

I don't think it would cost $1k to fix... I had a similar dent in my previous car and a reputable shop quoted me $700.