Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wrapping w/ suede

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 10:47 AM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wrapping w/ suede

i recently painted my 05 center console with flat black paint. It looks good but the paint is too weak(?). i already have a scratch on it.
i'm considering suede wrapping it. I found one on Distinct fabric which has little bit of stretch. Not completely liking the feel of the suede though.
I found another one locally which doesn't have stretch at all but i 100% like the quality. It's faux suede.
Is it possible to wrap 05 shifter area console with no stretch suede? If so, maybe DIY link would help. I haven't seen any one done it on 05 console.
thanks.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:05 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

any suede that looks anything like real alcantara will have little to no stretch to it, and would require sewing to look correct over compound curves.
The stuff youre talking about is closer to velvet, and thats only cool on the dash board of a 1978 Chevy pickup truck w a mexican blanket for a seat cover.

check this thread for even more of my fantastic rants on the proper use of suede etc.

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...ior-build.html

If you enjoy that you can even buy the series of "Ranting like McCann.. you can do it!" self help program on cassette tape , CDs and DVDs.

Last edited by bmccann101; 07-14-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:14 AM
NZMOWND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bahaha dvd shipped to 72206
Old 07-14-2011, 11:30 AM
JDMStanced

Originally Posted by bmccann101
any suede that looks anything like real alcantara will have little to no stretch to it, and would require sewing to look correct over compound curves.
The stuff youre talking about is closer to velvet, and thats only cool on the dash board of a 1978 Chevy pickup truck w a mexican blanket for a seat cover.

check this thread for even more of my fantastic rants on the proper use of suede etc.

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...ior-build.html

If you enjoy that you can even buy the series of "Ranting like McCann.. you can do it!" self help program on cassette tape , CDs and DVDs.
the faux suede i saw locally, looks just like your $22 suede on dash lol
just gotta figure out how to wrap that shift area.. without stitching lol
Old 07-14-2011, 11:30 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by NZMOWND
bahaha dvd shipped to 72206

right? dude, I look back on some of my posts sometimes and can totally tell if i was tired and took a bunch of bronchaid to get thru the last half of the day and totally tweaked out on my post replies haha.. or if my back was out and i didnt call in sick.. so i came in on a head full of vicodin.. those are some wild ones.. lots of photobuckets on those days bahahaha.

Last edited by bmccann101; 07-14-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:33 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by JDMStanced
the faux suede i saw locally, looks just like your $22 suede on dash lol
just gotta figure out how to wrap that shift area.. without stitching lol
cool just making sure you knew there was a difference.. youd be surprised tho man.. the stitch work makes it look TITSandOEM.. and its cheap.. i had both my visors done by pros and it cost me 100 bucks. Total costs involved to do my headliner, dash and visors?
200 bucks including the 3m super 90 glue.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:37 PM
TPete19

Bmccann is absolutely right. I actually wrapped my waterfall and shifter surround in microfiber suede (the $22 stuff) but decided to pull it off. The shifter surround is impossible to do in a single piece and I couldn't stand how it looked with a seam. Even the stretchy suede'ish' material won't have enough stretch to do that piece.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:45 PM
JDMStanced

not sure i'll like it seam either..
350z interior is seriously boring. gotta do something to make it look interesting lol
Old 07-14-2011, 01:25 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

i agree, i have alot done to mine, feel free to check it out in my garage on here. SUbtle touches are nice unless you really wana go all out.
I think Dinoc wrap is good and OEM looking if well done.. otherwise go nuts w it.

The thing w suede is that if its over pieces that arent upholstered from the factory, it generally looks too bulky.
Like the 370z cubby.. its leather n stitched, but the plastic itself is amller to compensate for the thickness of the leather NIssan knew would be going over it... its the subtle stuff in a good reupholstery job that makes it look OEM.
Before i did leather all over my Z32, i filed out gaps in pieces like glovebox edges, stripped off all the oem fabris etc.. in attempt to make it all lay as thin as possible.

ANyways.. for my interior ideas i never looked at other 350z.. i looked at Porsche RS, LFA, R8s etc.. take your queues from nicer cars, apply them to the Z.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:32 PM
TPete19

I think Dinoc wrap is good and OEM looking if well done.. otherwise go nuts w it.

The thing w suede is that if its over pieces that arent upholstered from the factory, it generally looks too bulky.
Like the 370z cubby.. its leather n stitched, but the plastic itself is amller to compensate for the thickness of the leather NIssan knew would be going over it.
Here's the work I just finished this past weekend. I wanted all suede, but it just wouldn't work for this application. So I did what I thought was the next best thing.

Like Bmc said, you have to shave the OEM parts down whenever you are laying suede over them. I shaved down the edges of my cubby door both for functionality as well as form.

Funny you mention the 370z, since that was my inspiration for the stitched cubby.

I also was able to continue the stitched theme onto my shift boot, center console armrest, and the rear strut bar panel. Now I wish that I had done the double-stitching on my suede headliner.

Name:  2011-07-11_12-06-36_742.jpg
Views: 6520
Size:  56.2 KB

Last edited by TPete19; 07-14-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:35 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

hey that looks great.
Good job. Thats the real deal, wrapped the latch n everything. Seams lay flat.. nice job.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:36 AM
JCITY
Banned

Looks awful...just does not match your CF pieces,Design wise,you do not want to see the cubby.It needs to blend in with the dash.I wonder why you did not do the cubby door in Cf to blend the design into the surrounding panels?Is the CF material shown molded pieces or a vinyl wrap?I can't tell from the photo.I've done full CF to my interior.
However,I with a CK veneer backed by 3m tape.I'm very happy with the looks and durability.The cubby door is a problem since its 3D not 2D.To compensate for the curve,there is a small seam below the button.Also,a Z insert in the center that can be done in contrasting colors.I just did mine in matching CF.The twill pattern matches up perfectly to the surrounding trim.Also,it gives an embossed look to the cubby with the Z
"carved" into it.
Also,I question the durability of the suede...
Old 07-18-2011, 08:39 AM
TPete19

Originally Posted by JCITY
Looks awful...just does not match your CF pieces,Design wise,you do not want to see the cubby.It needs to blend in with the dash.I wonder why you did not do the cubby door in Cf to blend the design into the surrounding panels?Is the CF material shown molded pieces or a vinyl wrap?I can't tell from the photo.I've done full CF to my interior.
However,I with a CK veneer backed by 3m tape.I'm very happy with the looks and durability.The cubby door is a problem since its 3D not 2D.To compensate for the curve,there is a small seam below the button.Also,a Z insert in the center that can be done in contrasting colors.I just did mine in matching CF.The twill pattern matches up perfectly to the surrounding trim.Also,it gives an embossed look to the cubby with the Z
"carved" into it.
To each, his own. The 'black' suede actually matches the 'black' CF vinyl really well. And sometimes contrasting is a better option than matching (helps prevent over-doing/ricing parts out).

The CF portion is a vinyl wrap, which I feel is a better option for this application, rather than thick, stick on CF pieces.

I know I drive a Z. I really wouldn't need a giant "Z" on my dash to remind me.

No worries though. Different strokes...
Old 07-18-2011, 11:25 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by JCITY
"carved" into it.
uhhh.. youre comparing this interior work done in the picture above with your stick on carbon fiber dash kit? Durability of the suede? (Its in every Lambo Superleggera built.. aint new stuff here. )
Bro, no "offense" but you have got to be kidding me.I fully support the "to each his own" theory, but when you throw down out of the blue and tell this guy it looks like crap ( which objectively it does not) becuase YOU dont like it.. kinda rules you out of the jury, bro.. just sayin.

TPete19, its not exactly what i would have done or waht I DID do with mine, but overall the quality of what youve done is great. Like i said, having the matching shifter boot is key, and i think "less is more" works w what you did.. i bet ppl get in your car that dont know 350z's and have no idea its not factory.

GOOD JOB.
PEace, unsubd.