Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Paint Job Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:03 AM
treefiddyzeeh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Paint Job Suggestions

I'm having the entire car painted. It is currently magnetic black (2006 gt), which of course has a little pearlescent in it to begin with, but would it be an abomination to use the Subaru paint, Java Black Pearl? When coupled with my new 'Sunken Treasure' (Dark Golden/Bronze/Black Pearlescent) VMR colored wheels and Burnt Orange leather seats I consider it a showstopping combination. I told my body guy I wanted to maybe just add a little more metallic into the Magnetic Black color, but he said it might not be a good idea considering an unpredictable outcome of the mixture. I want heads to turn with a black paint job. Any suggestions?

Java Black Pearl:

Magnetic Black:

Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by treefiddyzeeh; 04-01-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:44 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

??If you are not planning a complete color change,only looking to repaint another
black shade,I'd just find the color of your choice by ACTUALLY LOOKING at another
car.Whats wrong with using the Subaru color if thats what you like.I doubt of anyone
but you could tell its a Subaru color.I think your body guy is correct.You sure don't want to experiment with mixing stuff.However,I have seen some great paint jobs that have been custom mixed.But not a black.
Most people like black because when done right,it gives a deep deep finish.A ultra dark blue does the same thing.However,got to be careful with adding metallic as too much may reduce the "depth" of the paint.
I wish some guys would choose some other colors when painting their Z's.
I've never seen a dark classic English racing green.Another color that would look
fantastic is a much darker gray...almost a gunmetal/charcoal gray.Put that color with
lighter gray or a dark tan/antelope seats with some contrasting piping,it would look
great.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:59 AM
sssmasss

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how much are you paying to get your car repaint? I am trying to repaint my VR4 but i cant find a good deal on it. I know i must go at least 3k but my car is kinda old. 1998 old.

if i were you, i wont repaint it BLACK man. go with different color. I would go Dark Blue. or get Brickyard!!

Last edited by sssmasss; 04-01-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:17 AM
treefiddyzeeh

I'm only painting the exterior, I can't afford a complete color change. I love black due to the deep color, it has always been my favorite color alongside gunmetal/charcoal/graphite/gray. The Java Black Pearl color has a gold flake to it, whereas the 350z has more of a crystal/white flake. Most paint jobs I've seen that aren't factory Subaru jobs tend to be more gold than black...

Last edited by treefiddyzeeh; 04-01-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:21 AM
treefiddyzeeh

Originally Posted by sssmasss
how much are you paying to get your car repaint? I am trying to repaint my VR4 but i cant find a good deal on it. I know i must go at least 3k but my car is kinda old. 1998 old.

if i were you, i wont repaint it BLACK man. go with different color. I would go Dark Blue. or get Brickyard!!
Labor for my paint job is only going to cost me around 1,000-1,200 that's including a little body work and dent repair. Then the cost of paint materials on top of that. The front and back bumpers are pretty thrashed and the quarter panel has a good sized ding. I purchased the car wrecked for about 4 grand to replace my Ultra Yellow 2005 Touring Z.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:24 AM
sssmasss

Originally Posted by treefiddyzeeh
I'm only painting the exterior, I can't afford a complete color change. I love black due to the deep color, it has always been my favorite color alongside charcoal/graphite/gray. The Java Black Pearl color has a gold flake to it, whereas the 350z has more of a crystal/white flake. Most paint jobs I've seen that aren't factory Subaru jobs tend to be more gold than black...
if that it the case then you should go find a quality painter that can fulfil your expectation. dont settle for less than what you want or settle for what others think you should get. You will not be satisfied and it will always irritate you. I know this because i had my interiro wrap in carbon fiber but i really wanted suede wrap. I want to re-wrap it every time i drive my car. I will do it some day but it costs too much because i just got it wrap not so long ago.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:38 PM
treefiddyzeeh

The question isn't really if I want to settle for less than what I want, I am merely looking for paint colors and paint codes that might be similar to the ideas I've thrown out already. I don't exactly know what I want, but I'm taking to car to the shop Monday afternoon. After that, I've got a week to decide on a color while the body work and sanding is in progress. The body man I'm going to has worked for a dealership for 15 years and has won several awards for his paint work.

Another really awesome color I found was on a Cadillac, Black Diamond.

But it isn't exactly a deep black color. So I don't think that it will work.

If I could find this paint code I believe I might have a winner...

Its on a black 2011 mustang gt500, but I do not believe it is an OEM paint code.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:52 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Black is black. Call it magnetic black, ebony black, pearl black, iridescent black its still black.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:02 PM
treefiddyzeeh

Originally Posted by davidv
Black is black. Call it magnetic black, ebony black, pearl black, iridescent black its still black.
Not when you're adding pearl/metallic to the paint. Under sunlight it becomes a whole new creature. I've waited 7 years to own a black car... I want it to be perfect. Maybe I'm just OCD about this whole thing, but it matters to me when I'm spending over $2k to have something redone and I can't pass up the chance to have it done exactly like I want it.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:11 PM
ZS14RR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check out paint code AXR OR PXR its a chrysler black with pearl.

or better yet walk in to a paint store and have the mix you black with any color Xirallic pearl and voila.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:23 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like your mind is made up to have a metallic combination.
Whatever you choose,the guy doing the painting is the key element.
I've owned many cars over the years.Had more than a few painted.
Today's paints are alot more forgiving.It used to be that black was the worst
when it comes to orange peel problems.I'm still amazed when I pull next to a
black Mercedes or BMW and see the panels with orange peel.For whatever reason,
Lexus tends to do an excellent job with black.
Another black that I suggest you look at is what is on the 2013 GTR...jet black.
I just saw this color at a recent car show.One of the best,if not THEE best black
I've ever seen!It looked as though you could "step into" the color it was that deep!
Old 04-01-2012, 03:01 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

plastidip flat black your entire car w rattle cans.
This thread needed a useless reply. Too much good advice for one my350z thread.
Youre welcome.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:39 PM
treefiddyzeeh

Originally Posted by bmccann101
plastidip flat black your entire car w rattle cans.
This thread needed a useless reply. Too much good advice for one my350z thread.
Youre welcome.
jk
Old 04-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Looch

I saw that CTS-V paint at the DC Auto show and it is insane, but I feel like it only works on a car like the CTS-V.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:08 AM
OkashiZ

Originally Posted by davidv
wow. sweet, you got one more useless reply to add to your post count. over half or your posts are a waste of space.

As far as the color goes, I've seen the diamond black in person at the show and I spoke to them to see if it was available. The paint has several stages and one of them includes a magnetic stage where they pull the metal flake closer to the surface to give it such a metallic look. It looks amazing in my opinion but it is more of a charcoal that a black with any sort of light hitting it. If you are not stuck on a black color, I would go with the Cadillac Diamond black, I have the paint code if you want I'll go find it and let you know.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:02 AM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

any pics of the color of those wheels you described?
having trouble mentally grasping that one.

did a car similar to the subbie color you have there. It did look great, and imo its not as simple as black is black, black varies and makes a huge difference when you get it right. you have every right to be OCD, its a good buck you will spend and best get it right the first time.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:59 AM
treefiddyzeeh

Originally Posted by vex008
any pics of the color of those wheels you described?
having trouble mentally grasping that one.

did a car similar to the subbie color you have there. It did look great, and imo its not as simple as black is black, black varies and makes a huge difference when you get it right. you have every right to be OCD, its a good buck you will spend and best get it right the first time.

http://www.velocitymotoring.com/vmr/...e-powder-coat/

This is the color of the wheels I found. They are somewhat golden under light but appear dark/black under shade. Very unique color one reason why I was leaning towards the JBP color from Subaru. My only fear is that a lot of the cars come out almost looking green from what I've seen of custom work. Whereas I am looking for a deeper black with gold.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:34 PM
BoomerZ33

those VMR's look hot. i like the bronze and gold blend.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:36 PM
BAUSauto
Vendor - Former Vendor

That's a very unique blend.. never seen that before..

- Ben
Old 04-02-2012, 10:23 PM
treefiddyzeeh

Hence why I ordered them pretty much as soon as I saw them.

Also why I think these two would mix well. It's really hard to visualize the whole thing as a final product. Which is why I'm asking for opinions.

Name:  java.jpg
Views: 5921
Size:  43.2 KB

Name:  P1010015.jpg
Views: 5246
Size:  53.5 KB

Or would it be TOO much?

Last edited by treefiddyzeeh; 04-02-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Quick Reply: New Paint Job Suggestions