Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Doors + high speed = mirrors pulling down

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 11:59 AM
joeysr20det

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Doors + high speed = mirrors pulling down

My Z got hit shortly after it was brand new on the passenger side and destroyed the door and fender Ended up taking the insurance money and doing carbon doors and an auto power roll cage.

Does anybody have carbon fiber doors with stock mirrors on them? I have a set on my with stock mirrors, and around 100 the window over the top of them mirror pushes down, pulling the mirror, mirror mount, and glass outwards. The windows end up pulling outward just a bit letting a good bit of air come in.

I've tried to come up with a solution for this, but I just not sure what the best thing to do might be (of course not removing the carbon doors lol ).

Thanks Guys
Old 04-26-2012, 12:00 PM
joeysr20det

BTW I have been looking at a set of CraftSquare mirrors from Z1 as a possible solution since the mirror is symmetrical top and bottom maybe it would pull down like the stock ones do as they have more of a airplane wing contour over the top?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 AM
joeysr20det

Another option I have thought of as well would be getting a different set of mirrors all together and cap the old location on the door. This sounds good in terms of getting of the problem, but I can't imagine there would be any good looking fender/a pillar mount mirror solutions.

Anybody know of anything like this?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:42 AM
MUZZY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shave the mirrors and get rid of them, and go with onboard cameras. it will cost you the same as geting a craft square set. could be another solution
Old 04-30-2012, 06:47 AM
joeysr20det

you know I was just thinking about that. maybe putting a screen in place of the cubby and doing a camera on each side I'll have to search around on this and see what I can find. If I can find a good camera solution, this will be turning into a DIY post
Old 04-30-2012, 07:19 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

craft square will be fine, or buy a set of autoteknics like i did usd on here for 120 bucks.. they are hard to find.
Veilsides, ganador, they are all light and small, i feel the vast weight of the OEMs is your issue.

Dude.. full F1 cars use craft sq.. how fast does your 28k dollar sports car go that would cause even those to be areodynamically flawed haha.. I think youll be fine.. and cameras are a terrible idea.. plenty of lightweight mirrors that will solve your issue.

btw whats up w your signature?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:56 AM
joeysr20det

It's not the weight of the mirror, carbon fiber doors are very thin and the amount of wind pushing over the top of the mirror is very substantial. It would matter if the mirror was 1lb or 20 lbs the amount of force over the top would be the same.

The reason I was looking at the CraftSquare mirror is because it's symmetrical from the middle to top edge and the middle to bottom i.e. hopefully meaning the wind would push equally over the top and bottom edges of the mirror resulting in only a backwards push toward the tail of the car... not up or down.

LOL my 28K car is as slow as when it rolled off the show room floor.

I bought some fenders from Key Composites a couple of years ago and they completely screwed me. The fenders were absolutely horrible

When I tried to call them, they gave me the run around and I ended up getting screwed out of $150 restocking fee. VISA let them get away with it and I assure you I was never told about this when I called them. Shortly after all of this I posted it all over the internet to save everyone else; they then changed their name to Chaser Aero.... and the business address stayed the same. Don't mean to rant, but I lost 2 months of time dealing with and $150 bucks lol

Last edited by joeysr20det; 04-30-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Archaismic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on the other hand... i've bought a TON of stuff from chaser and never been screwed... :: shrug ::

Originally Posted by joeysr20det
It's not the weight of the mirror, carbon fiber doors are very thin and the amount of wind pushing over the top of the mirror is very substantial. It would matter if the mirror was 1lb or 20 lbs the amount of force over the top would be the same.

The reason I was looking at the CraftSquare mirror is because it's symmetrical from the middle to top edge and the middle to bottom i.e. hopefully meaning the wind would push equally over the top and bottom edges of the mirror resulting in only a backwards push toward the tail of the car... not up or down.

LOL my 28K car is as slow as when it rolled off the show room floor.

I bought some fenders from Key Composites a couple of years ago and they completely screwed me. The fenders were absolutely horrible

When I tried to call them, they gave me the run around and I ended up getting screwed out of $150 restocking fee. VISA let them get away with it and I assure you I was never told about this when I called them. Shortly after all of this I posted it all over the internet to save everyone else; they then changed their name to Chaser Aero.... and the business address stayed the same. Don't mean to rant, but I lost 2 months of time dealing with and $150 bucks lol
Old 05-02-2012, 08:15 PM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccann101
craft square will be fine, or buy a set of autoteknics like i did usd on here for 120 bucks.. they are hard to find.
Veilsides, ganador, they are all light and small, i feel the vast weight of the OEMs is your issue.

Dude.. full F1 cars use craft sq.. how fast does your 28k dollar sports car go that would cause even those to be areodynamically flawed haha.. I think youll be fine.. and cameras are a terrible idea.. plenty of lightweight mirrors that will solve your issue.

btw whats up w your signature?
Craft square mirrors are Baller if you can wait and spend that for mirrors.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:04 AM
TPete19

Hey OP,
You ever try cracking the window a bit? At high speeds the pressure difference could cause the windows to push out a bit since the doors aren't as rigid as the OEMs.