Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Color Changing Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 09:11 PM
FliPPER_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Color Changing Gauges

Hey Guys... I already converted both front and rear turn signals into LEDs, including back up lights. Next step in the interior ...Im getting ready to tackle this project...
Im not sure if anybody has done this already but here is a video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2K2c3QQgSA
The plan is to make something similar to that however I will do a fade into RED instead of an instant switch. Got most of the electrical problems solved except the actual signals. Im hoping somebody can explain how or what type of signal makes the rpm, speedo, etc. work. I want to create my own signal generator so I can bench test it in my own desk without disassembling my car .

Im open to suggestion ! thanks
Old 05-20-2012, 09:16 PM
FliPPER_Z

this idea also came up..retrofit a universal shift light, using this as a trigger to cause the switchback?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-11...ht_4155wt_1396
Old 05-21-2012, 02:24 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Color changing gauges-wow!
I've been searching for a plug in lava lamp
for my Z.Can't seem to find one.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:25 AM
cgkp0925

I'm sure you'll find a way to make it work. Can't wait to see it on your facebook.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:48 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

color changing guages are dope.. especially as the programmable OEM shift light as the trigger... I have my aftermarket gauges wired for amber illumination.. wired up relays so that it not only cuts the amber illumination but triggers the white illumination on trigger.. and that trigger can be run off the individual gauges warning output or the radar detector. i ahvent chosen which to lead it off of yet.
Far easier to see then a small flashing red led... But props to flipper for tackling it.. pretty cool. Id try to allow a circuit that allows the option of flashing switchback or static..

Last edited by bmccann101; 05-21-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:05 AM
FliPPER_Z

Originally Posted by bmccann101
color changing guages are dope.. especially as the programmable OEM shift light as the trigger... I have my aftermarket gauges wired for amber illumination.. wired up relays so that it not only cuts the amber illumination but triggers the white illumination on trigger.. and that trigger can be run off the individual gauges warning output or the radar detector. i ahvent chosen which to lead it off of yet.
Far easier to see then a small flashing red led... But props to flipper for tackling it.. pretty cool. Id try to allow a circuit that allows the option of flashing switchback or static..
I totally forgot about our oem red LED shift light..that just made things easier! : That LED should work with a small 2.2 volt signal , enough to trigger a mosfet or transitor to cause a switchback...hmm cant wait!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:07 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

yup, dont even have to disable it.. plus it remains totally programable from the OEM selector still this way.. apparently has its own built in flash as well.. from slow to fast.. id leave that as well.. and just do a switch back.. id rather not have my gauges go fully dark and flash at me versus staying the same color and simply flash to a red as it increases to the rev limiter..very cool man.. enjoy, i bet the finished product wll be great..

only issue youll have ( and let customers be aware of this) is that if they send you the whole cluster and try to drive thier car around for a week w out it.. Nissan keeps that from happening ( as the odometer circuitry is in there) by running part of the alternator circuitry thru the guage pod..

your car will start and drive.. for about 10 miles.. as it will be firing off your battery.. ask me how I know.. and why i just bought a tow hook for my car so the bumper doesnt rip off from a flat bed tow truck cable.. again.

Last edited by bmccann101; 05-21-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:43 AM
QuintonC

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

in4resultsandpix
Old 05-21-2012, 09:51 AM
FliPPER_Z

Originally Posted by bmccann101
yup, dont even have to disable it.. plus it remains totally programable from the OEM selector still this way.. apparently has its own built in flash as well.. from slow to fast.. id leave that as well.. and just do a switch back.. id rather not have my gauges go fully dark and flash at me versus staying the same color and simply flash to a red as it increases to the rev limiter..very cool man.. enjoy, i bet the finished product wll be great..

only issue youll have ( and let customers be aware of this) is that if they send you the whole cluster and try to drive thier car around for a week w out it.. Nissan keeps that from happening ( as the odometer circuitry is in there) by running part of the alternator circuitry thru the guage pod..

your car will start and drive.. for about 10 miles.. as it will be firing off your battery.. ask me how I know.. and why i just bought a tow hook for my car so the bumper doesnt rip off from a flat bed tow truck cable.. again.
Thanks for the advice. Im ordering the gauge faces later this week from http://www.blackcatcustom.com/

I will definitely avoid the hyper flashing switching.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:41 PM
TurboTom

update?
really interested to see the results
Old 06-28-2012, 10:11 PM
bbs350z

^go back to driving your genesis

j/k i miss your g

pm user acree, he does quite a bit with this type of stuff. he used to have a z and did conversions for people, now i believe he has an evox w/ color changing gauges as well as needles.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:02 AM
FliPPER_Z

no updates.havent had any free time.