Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Steering Wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:45 AM
Lil Dre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Steering Wheel question

Hey guys, this is my first post . I dont drive a Z yet, but will be getting one in a year or so. Anyway, ive always liked the look of d-shaped steering wheels, i even have one in my car now, but this car never had airbags. I was wondering if there is any way to get an airbag steering wheel thats d-shaped, or if there is a way to put, say a wrx steering wheel onto a Z? Thank you

Last edited by Lil Dre; 06-12-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Arvin89

Where there is a will, there is a way.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the Z forum.

there are plenty of aftermarket steering wheel bosses you can use for a plethora of aftermarket steering wheels in various shapes and sizes.

as far as "Wrx" steering wheel, do you mean OEM wrx steering wheel? or an aftermarket one you just bought for your Wrx..

i would say the airbags, even though its typically industry standard signal to activate, would not be wise to attempt to use in the Z, even if you got the steering control wiring to mate up with the OE 350z steering control column clips.

do a search on "aftermarket steering wheels", there are a ton of threads on this already.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Lil Dre

thanks, nd i dont actually have a wrx, but there is an aftermarket steering wheel that uses the wrx airbag. but i will search more
Old 06-12-2012, 04:12 PM
SLIdEwAyZ25

D shaped wheel is no good. dant let it slde threw your hands when you drift. and one day you will drift no matter if its on purpose or not
Old 06-12-2012, 07:36 PM
realist alive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will finding a D shaped steering wheel make or break buying the Z
Old 06-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Lil Dre

Good point, ill want to drift on purpose anyway .
And to realist alive, deff not lol. Im pretty dead set on the Z
Old 06-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Lil Dre

Originally Posted by SLIdEwAyZ25
D shaped wheel is no good. dant let it slde threw your hands when you drift. and one day you will drift no matter if its on purpose or not
Ive seen drifting vids with d shaped steering wheels though? Wouldn it help, due to it being smaller? Sorry if its a noob question, but im a noob to sports cars lol
Old 06-12-2012, 11:57 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil Dre
Ive seen drifting vids with d shaped steering wheels though? Wouldn it help, due to it being smaller? Sorry if its a noob question, but im a noob to sports cars lol
Just wondering if the vehicle you drive now is a Go Cart? If so, hold your horses, wait till your old enough to drive a car, then start figuring things out. You can daily drive with D shaped or round, run the roadcourse or drift. Once you get a license, car and the money to do track events, you will figure out what works best for you.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:39 AM
Lil Dre

Old enough? Lol. I said im new to SPORTS cars. I drive a 98 eclipse now, and all i use it for is to get from a-b. just asking a few questions before i make myself look stupid. I have a license & a job. Lets not make assumptions please?
Old 06-13-2012, 04:44 AM
mknZ

Originally Posted by Lil Dre
just asking a few questions before i make myself look stupid.
too late
Old 06-13-2012, 05:48 AM
TehkMob

What is it that you like so much about a D shaped steering wheels? I personally have never used one. I like my 330mm nardi. I dont think I could ever get used to tracking with a d shaped wheel.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:15 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i wanted a D shaped when i started looking for an aftermarket steering wheel, but never found one i really liked.

when drifting, the steering wheel will be rotating ALOT, the theory is if the steering device is uniform in shape, it'll be easier to grab/release no matter where Center is. but the talk about not being able to drift with a D is lame. it's doable and yes i've seen it done before as well, you just have to be cognizant of the flat portion.

you'll try drifting a few times like everyone else, then realize how expensive tires are then go back to just road course. lol
plus you'll be using the car 98% on the road and off the track anyway, so the 2% you're tracking, its not a big deal.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:41 AM
realist alive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lil dre i am thinking you should stick to the 98 eclipse. the 350z is expensive and before you talk about drifting look at the cost of tires. could you afford to spend $500+ an event not to mention the cost of suspension mods and track time.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Lil Dre

Originally Posted by mknZ
too late
No, being stupid would be putting on the steering wheel without knowing much about it. There is no such things as stupid questions. Thanks for the people who helped, ill just try to ind a smaller aftermarket steering wheel. And nothing is going to talk me out of the Z. Ive looked up all pros and cons.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:16 PM
TehkMob

Why does it seem like we are try to keep this guy from buying a z? And its not that expensive to drift on a z. They do pretty well in stock form with a vlsd if you can't drift n a stock z then you can't drift. Besides, the guy says he has a job, when did this become about having money?
The z33 is an awesome car stock and modified. It doesn't need much to be competitive in any form. Have fun and post pics when you get it. Keep all the festivities on the track don't be that guy that comes from a f2f chassis and buys a z and crashes it drifting on the street.

Good luck.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Lil Dre

Originally Posted by TehkMob
Why does it seem like we are try to keep this guy from buying a z? And its not that expensive to drift on a z. They do pretty well in stock form with a vlsd if you can't drift n a stock z then you can't drift. Besides, the guy says he has a job, when did this become about having money?
The z33 is an awesome car stock and modified. It doesn't need much to be competitive in any form. Have fun and post pics when you get it. Keep all the festivities on the track don't be that guy that comes from a f2f chassis and buys a z and crashes it drifting on the street.

Good luck.
Thank you. And no need to worry, no street racing/drifting for me.