Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear widebody build (almost done)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:24 AM
potato

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear widebody build (almost done)

UPDATE - final pics on post 3

About a month and a half ago i dropped my car off at 1488 collision up near conroe (if you are familiar with the northside of houston) and asked about having my fenders completely redone to flow with the bumper and to also fit my wheels with no issues of rubbing or hitting the wheel itself. I will start off with the beginning stages of my car that led up to this point noting some mistakes I made. I'm not looking to be flamed therefore i wont waste my time on comments hating on a lowered cars and camber. If you have questions feel free to pm me

I got my coils over a year ago which in turn I shaved the inner lip of my stock fenders (dont make this mistake).

About a year after getting them, earlier this year, I picked up some DPE st10 wheels off of evilzdriver here on the forum. I like the wheels, ran them as 19x10/12 but i could never quite get them to fit. after trying to roll my fenders, flare them with a pole at a gas station i got no where but a wavy fender and a dent from my friend hitting to high when we tried to flare it. anyways, i finally had a buddy with a roller flare it for me and here was the result

It wasnt very pretty but it really helped with rubbing and i was able to get that *** lower

As I said, I really liked these wheels however if I was going to do body work I need it to be more aggressive. I sold the dpe's and picked up marios bazreias, the ones royal_t owned before him to achieve the aggressive wheel i wanted. the specs are 18x10/12 -8 and ive always loved the look of them. Before my final height adjustments I snapped this pic and then I was off to get a final alignment and lowered it a bit more while evening the car out on both sides of the car

Rear widebody build (almost done)-d5rsm.jpg

after the final height adjustment

Now the fun part..

I finally dropped my car off with the go ahead to get started on the fender work. I spoke with Jeremy, the shop owner and gave him my deadline for an upcoming show and that I'd really like it to be done by then. here is how i dropped her off

Now these pics are over time so im unsure of exact dates of when they were taken or how long it took to get to this point.

Welding begins and the bumper is on where you can see it is being stretched out to all flow with the widen fenders

More welding to fill in some gaps and smooth the fender out

A little difficult to see however he added a rounded metal bar to shape with the fender. This is to allow the fender to better roll off the rim or tire in the event that i do somehow hit. This also keeps the fender from catching and twisting to **** in the event that was to happen

This is where he pulled the bumper attachment out so the bumper would stretch to match up with the fender work. He welded it up however still needed to fill some holes

As we were talking I was telling him how much of a difference I could see already. Thats when he was like yea, lets do a comparison real quick, walked over and did this to my flare

This side is really starting to take shape now with filler after all the welding was done and I was able to get alot better idea of how it was going to turn out

He also began the other side, cutting off the metal to begin shaping it. At this point he said that he was having a little bit of trouble with the metal above the rear bumper bending cause it was so thin. He said that because the gas tank isnt there to really keep it in place its making things harder however he was able to tackle it with a little more work

Other side welded up and getting ready to begin more welding just like the other side did. He was making sure all of his measurements were right.

Back to the other side... more filler added and some sanding to the final stages

Driver side almost done aswell, he was doing some final touchups

While it was there, I also had them fill the hole for the rear wiper

He noticed a small dent in the middle of the bumper and decided to go ahead and fill it so it doesnt show up after paint

You can see here how the rear bumper tabs were extended out and welded up to match up perfectly with the fenders

An *** shot of the pretty much final stages before paint

Wek fest Austin is this Sunday which is the show I am hoping to be able to attend. Leaving the body shop yesterday he told me it will be in paint today and done tomorrow. He did tell me they really are cutting it close however tomorrow afternoon all they will need to do is put everything back together. Hopefully I am able to make it out to wek fest in my car as i've put a lot of money into this build so far..

Last edited by potato; 10-04-2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:24 AM
potato

okay guys i didnt give the whole truth about my car. i actually did respray it however kept it from everyone, including my own team. I sprayed it with a ferrari silverstone for a darker silver, almost charcoal to make my weds pop on the car. my final cost for this was 4300 bucks.

Now for the updated pics after picking it up today. My next post will be legit pics, most likely pics from wek fest this weekend. hope to see you guys there if anyone is attending!

They were cleaning it up after I arrived however it still needed the door panels, side mirrors and a few other things.

My bumper cleaned up, waiting to be put back on

G35 rears. im having an issue with the tape on the right one though, i cant seem to get it to stick right

Rear shot before we put the wheels on

Bumper mounted!

of course, the gas station pic

and finally...

Last edited by potato; 09-28-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:25 AM
potato

My final update!

Next up, front camber arms to match up the front poke to the rear. I may also be throwing on a 5mm in the rear for tad more poke

Last edited by potato; 10-04-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:29 AM
taryon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:32 AM
TheFknBoss

Thanks for making a build thread just for me lol yours is ky0 like mine sooo sweet. I'm loving it
Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 AM
AngelsVQ

in for results
Old 09-27-2012, 08:34 AM
potato

Originally Posted by TheFknBoss
Thanks for making a build thread just for me lol yours is ky0 like mine sooo sweet. I'm loving it
that awkward moment when you realize its actually WV2 silverstone lol
Old 09-27-2012, 08:37 AM
TheFknBoss

Yea I see it I was looking on my phone with the screen turned down.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:39 AM
TheFknBoss

That an evo motor in the background
Old 09-27-2012, 08:52 AM
potato

Originally Posted by TheFknBoss
That an evo motor in the background
maybe. he did have an evo in there that he was doing work on but idk what happened to it. it was where my car is now
Old 09-27-2012, 09:39 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

this is real tuning IMO.

cutting a perfectly good car for a subtle change.. i like hellaflush loking cars myself, but this deserves resepct in a normal hotrod sense..

plenty of ppl can buy parts and install them in a driveway, but the real deal ( to me) always invloves exposed engine deep dark internals or exploratory cutting and some welding.

Nice job.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:12 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

thanks for documenting this!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:32 AM
415mm
Professional

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice work, in for finished pics
Old 09-27-2012, 11:41 AM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Will it still be Silverstone when they are done?
Old 09-27-2012, 12:19 PM
ZS14RR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn that's a lot of work. If going through all that should've gone very crazy!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:26 PM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In for the finished product
Old 09-27-2012, 12:27 PM
WillyP28

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking good OP, I'm cant wait to see it out of paint.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:15 PM
06z33

looks great! In for final pics
Old 09-27-2012, 04:29 PM
bbs350z

excellent work. i like subtle wide bodies. almost oem, but a touch of aggression. well done sir
Old 09-27-2012, 05:08 PM
potato

Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: Rear widebody build (almost done)