Sponsored by:

Just doesnt fit right

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Z33-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Just doesnt fit right

Hello gents,

So as some as you may already know I have put the CWEST long nose body kit on my Z. The catch is I put it on a roadster; the kit is made for a coupe.

The front kit, side skirts and rear body kit fits just right. It is the wing that is being rather a thorn. I put together a quick sketch of what needs to be done.

I would like to obtain a coupe trunk and somehow fabricate it into my existing trunk. A suggestion or two would be appreciated. And just to get it out the way, I will not burn the damn thing and kill it with fire.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Just doesnt fit right-z.jpg  
Old 10-01-2012, 11:58 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

you do not want it angled down much if any
Old 10-01-2012, 12:31 PM
TPete19

I think you're taking the wrong approach. Instead of modifying the car to fit the wing, you need to modify the wing to fit the car.

Modify the mounting portion of the wing to fit your trunk.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

I know you didn't ask for my opinion but a wing that big just does not look right on a roadster. Anyway, as TPete said the most practical solution would be to modify the mounting location of the wing. My personal method for solving the fitment issue would be to simply replace the entire roadster with a coupe and it'll fit like a glove.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:53 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

ULTRA easy to have someone make that extended mount out of thin alum for you.. sand it well and spray it w hi temp low gloss paint vs primer lol.
i mean, it MAY cost you 150-200 bucks.
Zero harm in that, and will still be juuust as nice.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:55 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I respect everyone's opinion especially,what they want to do to their car.
But,this is a troll post right?This wing does not belong on a coupe and sure does
not go in anyway on a roadster.This type of wing should be on a IMSA track,not the street.
What are you thinking?
A Giacuzzo wing or replica would work nicely with your other
body mods.

Last edited by JCITY; 10-01-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:40 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

lol ^

some people enjoy expensive authentic JDM parts for what they are.

Long nose styling is also not a regualr preference.. but is baller none the less and they are the only front end aero parts availabel for the Z that offer real high speed downforce, versus just looks and cooling.
Thats a fantastic wing and Id LOVE to OWN it if the OP takes your advice and decides he hates it lol.
I wont hold my breath though.

OP, Im not sure what the angle of the stock wing like on Robins car in the pictures, but you really want to be sitting around 5 degrees of rake for normal driving..
I think level looks a bit better imho.. and keeps the drag down.. its the upside down wing shape that creates downforce, not the angle it hits the car raking it back and "pushing" the car down as many would think..

but again, id not get a new hatch, id not get a new base made, id get a small extension arm for the back edge bolt of ea side of the wing or perhaps a slightly more angled plate.. check your actual angle versus just a visual...to be honest search APRs website and the sell quite a few wing parts you may be able to use.. check their site for angle reccomendations as well.. you will notice that the clean air behind a coupe is different than a convi.. im sure your wing will effectively be in smoother air than a coupe.. effectively higher up.. you wont need much angle my friend.

I will however ENVY your traction and the safety it brings..

Im scared of wheel spin and getting sideways at 70 mph while just driving down the freeway being the casue of my death.

Last edited by bmccann101; 10-01-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Daytondakid13

i know this isnt really an answer or related to the thread but what type of wheels do you have on your roadster?
Old 10-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if executed right, that kit and wing, on a coupe and maybe some roadsters, would look killer.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:46 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Especially with the right wheels.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:15 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by JCITY
I respect everyone's opinion especially,what they want to do to their car. But,this wing does not belong on a coupe and sure does
not go in anyway on a roadster.
I too respect everyone's opinion as we all have different views when it comes to modifications but to sport this wing... you MUST complete it with the entire kit! buzzardmountain's Z is one of my all time favorite. Like the HR nismo, at first glance, I didn't like it but as time went on, it changed my mind... it's an acquired taste.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Z33-

Originally Posted by bmccann101
lol ^

some people enjoy expensive authentic JDM parts for what they are.

Long nose styling is also not a regualr preference.. but is baller none the less and they are the only front end aero parts availabel for the Z that offer real high speed downforce, versus just looks and cooling.
Thats a fantastic wing and Id LOVE to OWN it if the OP takes your advice and decides he hates it lol.
I wont hold my breath though.

OP, Im not sure what the angle of the stock wing like on Robins car in the pictures, but you really want to be sitting around 5 degrees of rake for normal driving..
I think level looks a bit better imho.. and keeps the drag down.. its the upside down wing shape that creates downforce, not the angle it hits the car raking it back and "pushing" the car down as many would think..

but again, id not get a new hatch, id not get a new base made, id get a small extension arm for the back edge bolt of ea side of the wing or perhaps a slightly more angled plate.. check your actual angle versus just a visual...to be honest search APRs website and the sell quite a few wing parts you may be able to use.. check their site for angle reccomendations as well.. you will notice that the clean air behind a coupe is different than a convi.. im sure your wing will effectively be in smoother air than a coupe.. effectively higher up.. you wont need much angle my friend.

I will however ENVY your traction and the safety it brings..

Im scared of wheel spin and getting sideways at 70 mph while just driving down the freeway being the casue of my death.
Every time I get an odd look from people passing by your words will keep my head up. Maybe not as high as the wing per say

I was reading about the various angle degrees that the wing can be placed in for optimal results. I wonder if a wind tunnel test would be necessary since this is a roadster and the air variance differs from the coupe.

It seems I have made a new friend here, I will PM you.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Z33-

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Especially with the right wheels.
Not you again!
Old 10-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Z33-

Originally Posted by Daytondakid13
i know this isnt really an answer or related to the thread but what type of wheels do you have on your roadster?
5zigen Hyper 3 pc... you would be amazed how light they are.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Z33-

Originally Posted by Duckeee
if executed right, that kit and wing, on a coupe and maybe some roadsters, would look killer.
The car cant just look the part it must be complete as the stallion I dreamed of- as a young man I played Gran Turismo hoping that one day I can modify my own vehicle as such.

FI is the next chapter