Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 to 06 Conversion, No More High Beams

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:31 PM
CleanFairladyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 03 to 06 Conversion, No More High Beams

So as I'm sure a few of you on here have realized by experience, when you upgrade from 03 to 06 headlights and only buy the 06 headlight (No bulbs or ballasts, wiring or harnesses), you lose your high beams.This is because 03s use a separate bulb for high beams and 06s just use the same bulb but at a higher setting. Now then:

I'm making this thread because I previously made the upgrade. I used the 03 bulbs and used a dremel tool to cut out a divot in the bulb so it would fit inside the 06 assembly, instead of buying the 06 bulbs. Anyway, when you look into the assembly, there is a wire leading to a plug for the high beams in the 06 assembly that is obviously missing with the 03 internals.

My question is where can I find this wire/plug? Courtesy parts wont sell just that part, and going out and buying the new 06 bulbs wont help because that is merely just the bulb itself and wont come with that additional piece. Everything else is fine, I just miss my high beams. Any help?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:18 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

The bulbs don't brighter for the high beams - instead there is a metal shutter that changes position when the high beams are selected by the switch. You should get the proper bulbs, because they're needed to get the correct beam pattern. Not sure if that's your only problem, but it's one. When you switch on the high beams, can you hear a mechanical click (fairly loud) from each headlight assembly? If so, them the high/low shutter is working properly.

Also, if you get sh!tty Chinese-made bulbs from a prominent vendor here (or eBay, etc.) you'll be very disappointed with their performance. Quality bulbs will usually cost $100+ for a pair, and you want Philips. Osram, Sylvania, or OEM.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:33 AM
CleanFairladyZ

I did not know that. But no, when I turn on my high beams there's just silence. The blue light on the dash comes on like usual but no high beams.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:49 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I'm no expert on this, so you'll haveto more searching but . . .

I believe there is a difference in the upgrade, depending on whether your early car originally had HID's or not. If your car had HID's, it's more or less a bolt-on/plug-in upgrade, if not, I'm not so sure.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:11 PM
CleanFairladyZ

I did have HIDs. As they are the same HIDs that I put in the new assemblies. Although if your talking about if the car came stock with the HIDs, i guess i'll never know. I bought it with them but hey it was a 9 year old car so who knows.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:06 AM
sincere85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanFairladyZ
I did have HIDs. As they are the same HIDs that I put in the new assemblies. Although if your talking about if the car came stock with the HIDs, i guess i'll never know. I bought it with them but hey it was a 9 year old car so who knows.

You may want to check to see if your car came with HIDs stock because that may be your problem. What model 350z do you have, (base, touring, track, etc)? I have a 2003 Touring 350z and did the 06 headlight conversion about two years ago, and have fully functioning headlights. I didn't have to make any modifications. I just removed the 03 headlights and plugged in the 06 headlights. That simple. My z did have the oem HIDs prior to the switch tho.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe BiXenons have a solenoid that flips a shutter when power runs to it. Basically you need to wire in your 03-05's high beam power to power the solenoid. This is from experience retrofitting bixenons in my last car.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:31 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

^ That is correct, my high beam works fine after swapping back in 07.