Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need 'Silver Turn Signal Bulbs'? Look Here!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 10:13 PM
gt3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a picture of bulb partially shaved. In order to have the bulb still fit tightly, just use a razor blade and shave of thin layers like this.

Hope this will help future DIYers!!
Attached Thumbnails Need 'Silver Turn Signal Bulbs'? Look Here!!!-bulbs-shaved.jpg  
Old 02-23-2004, 11:25 PM
juhko

Wow, just out of wonder what exactly did you shave? Doesn't look like much, but do you have a picture of the other side?

Last edited by juhko; 02-23-2004 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:02 AM
gt3

Originally posted by juhko
Wow, just out of wonder what exactly did you shave? Doesn't look like much, but do you have a picture of the other side?
I dunno if you saw the last photo in the prior page. I shaved part of the elevated tab surrounded by the red box in the first photo. I just did a few thin layers as in the 2nd photo on each side. Don't shave the whole thickness of the tab because it will be too loose. I think it took probably about 5-6 thin layers. However, the best method is to shave 1-2 thin layers at a time on both sides and then test fit the bulb to see if that fits.

Last edited by gt3; 02-24-2004 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:00 AM
350zluvr

Default Test Temps

Gt3, thank you so much for posting a picture of the bulb before and after. I've been trying to explain what I mean in writing, but sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words . Gotta get a digital camera one of these days.

Well I asked Evostyle about what temperature they tested their bulbs at and here's their response:We utilize a 3M IR-950 sensor and have obtained readings of about 270-275F (@20sec) with the stock bulb and 285-290F (@20sec) with the EVOvision bulbs. This is in comparison to some of our competitors bulbs which we have measured up to 310F(@20sec)! In any event, let me know if you have any more questions.

Ares, should this difference in temperatures have any negative effects on our housings???
Old 02-24-2004, 07:53 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Great work guys (gt3, 350zluvr, Ares) with ALL of the info & pics.

This is what makes my350z such a great place... members/enthusiasts like yourself.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:00 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nope those numbers sound fine to me. and his stock temp matches what I found as well.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:54 PM
jckolnturn

I'm trying to order the bulbs but i'm having problems with the website. Is it just me? It keeps sending me back to the welcome back page. Can anyone help?
Old 02-27-2004, 12:58 PM
vics350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jckolnturn
I'm trying to order the bulbs but i'm having problems with the website. Is it just me? It keeps sending me back to the welcome back page. Can anyone help?
Tim, that happened to me also but I would go to my shopping cart again and checkout until it went through. I finally got if after the third try. I just got my bulbs today. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:01 PM
sbonell

Originally posted by jckolnturn
They have a problem, but you can work round it.

After you confirm your order, if you hit refresh you'll see your order confirmation.

Check your email first though in case you have already ordered.

When I ordered I got two confirmation emails but the order was OK (just one). I understand they're working on the problem.

Cheers
Stuart
Old 02-27-2004, 03:28 PM
CarbonZ

how many indicator bulbs are in each of the front housings???
It appears to be 1 right.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:39 PM
ares
Veteran

just 1.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:45 PM
Paul_BB_Guy

Hi guys,
I just read backwards and forwards through this thread so I'm a little discombobulated.

Please confirm/clarify:
1) www.evostyle.com are the lights to have apparently but you need to shave a bit to make them fit nicely.
2) 7440 or 7443 bulbs for the front?
3) Is there much point in replacing the rear lights since the reflector is all red anyway?

I'm going to be installing some smoked reflectors I got from performancenissanparts in the front bumper so I might as well change these bulbs at the same time if I can get them up to Canada fairly quickly.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Paul_BB_Guy; 02-27-2004 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:32 AM
wren57
Banned

I got some answers for ya...

1. correct, although I didn't have to shave mine and they fit fine
2. 7440 front and rear turn signals
3. they don't offer rear brake lights, the 7440 bulbs for the rear replace the amber ones in your clear turn signals

Hope I helped.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:53 AM
vics350

I installed mine yesterday. I did have to shave the base of the bulbs in order to get them into the front headlights. For some reason, I didn't have to shave them to fit the rear sockets.

My take on the install was that the rear was much easier than I thought and easier to install than the front. All you have to do is pop up the three plastic buttons on the top of the rear taillight assembly. There are three 10mm bolts that you remove and then you pull out (carefully) the whole taillight assembly. Once you've pulled it out, you can reach in and twist off the bulb socket you need.

The front did require un-clipping/un-screwing the plastic liners in the wheelwell. I removed my bumper but I don't think it was necessary. Lifting the car makes it easier but I didn't lift mine and I was able to get in fine. The most difficult part is removing the phillips screw on the top edge of the wheelwell. This would not have been a problem if the car was lifted because the screw would then not be so close to the tire but since I did not want to lift the car I had to figure out how to get it out. I happen to have a screwdriver that has a flexible extension so I was able to get the driver into the screw, bend the extension down, and turn the handle to loosen and remove the screw. That worked. You might be able to do it with a real stubby phillips screwdriver as well. You'll just need to turn the wheels in the right location for you to get the screwdriver in. Once you have the liners loosened you can reach in and the liner will pull back so you should have no problem reaching the signal light socket.

I like how the bulbs look. I'm going for the clean look in the front so these bulbs are perfect. The bulbs do not flash as bright as the stock amber bulb but they're bright enough. Overall, I'm satisfied with them.

Now I need to figure out how to remove the headlight assembly so that I can have the clear reflector strips and LED bulbs from ares installed when they come in.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:42 AM
sbonell

Wierd how we all get slightly different experiences fitting the bulbs. My fronts went in without modification although were a touch tight. They didn't push in all the way down into the holder but will stay put and work fine.

For the rears, I found I couldn't get them to slot in. I didn't want to try too hard for fear of damaging the bulb. Thankfully I was aware before I started because of this thread.

I would disagree slightly with the solution though (at least for my car). gt3 shaved the thickness of the tab until it fitted. I found that it was actually the width that was more of an issue. So I just shaved a small bit off the width of the tab and in the popped. I didn't have a camera to take a pic of mine, but I've tried to indicate it on gt3's pic. Might be worth checking by eye when you come to fit yours.

Cheers
Stuart
Attached Thumbnails Need 'Silver Turn Signal Bulbs'? Look Here!!!-bulbs-copy.jpg  
Old 02-28-2004, 11:06 AM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just got mine but havent installed them yet, so i should shave it a little,with sand paper or a knife? any advice is greatly appreciated
Old 02-28-2004, 11:17 AM
juhko

XBS, from what gt3 said, a razor would work best.

Geesh, if all the bulbs have the same base and only some need to be shaved,
it sounds to me like there is some sort of variability in the actual Nissan socket, how likely is that...?

Last edited by juhko; 02-28-2004 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:25 PM
vics350

sbonell is right. The problem is the width and not the thickness of the tab that's the problem. I agree that it is weird how some fit with no issues and others don't. I started with my passenger side bulb and I had to shave like 5 or 6 times before it would go in.

I was expecting the same for the rear but when I pushed the bulb in to see how tight it would be, it went it. Granted it went it a little snug but it went in and works perfectly.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:34 PM
ares
Veteran

Originally posted by juhko
XBS, from what gt3 said, a razor would work best.

Geesh, if all the bulbs have the same base and only some need to be shaved,
it sounds to me like there is some sort of variability in the actual Nissan socket, how likely is that...?
pretty close to 0. no doubt a plastic injected part that is continuous to all nissan and infinitis. the variation is more likely in the bulb, or the precise orientation that the bulb is inserted at.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:46 AM
topdaytrader

if you want the best, check out

http://www.motionr.com

Quick Reply: Need 'Silver Turn Signal Bulbs'? Look Here!!!