Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaky Rear Strut Bar Cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 07:18 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Squeaky Rear Strut Bar Cover

Lately I've been plagued by a high-pitched, highly irritating squeaking sound coming from the rear hatch area which seems to sound-off any time the car hits any unevenness or bump/seam in the road. I lightly banged around in the hatch area with my fist and narrowed it down to the rear strut bar cover, specifically the silver/aluminum "Z" cover section in the middle.
Before I go tearing it apart and trying to jerry rig some kind of fix, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and whether there is a known fix already. Thanks in advance,
Old 11-22-2013, 07:21 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

remove everything and see it it still happens
Old 11-22-2013, 09:59 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sure would not go through the trouble of taking off the strut cover unless you knew for sure thats the source of the problem.I've never heard of this problem before.
What I suggest is to take some bungee cords and wrap around the strut cover.
See if that helps.Possibly some spray lubricant under the edges of the cover...
I've got a CF cover on mine.No noise.
Got a feeling the squeaks are coming from something under your Z not at the bar area.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:22 AM
iamjustincase

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this same issue, sounds like a bird chirping in your hatch.
I just took apart all the plastic on my rear strut tower bar to plastidip,
When I put them back together I thought about putting 2 sided tape on the backs of all the pieces
But didn't have any on hand at the time.

The plastic pieces are only held together with little clips and it all comes apart with just a small amount of prying with fingers, so I'd suggest pulling the top and side pieces off and trying the two sided tape in there. The whole process is half hour tops it comes apart very easily.

I will be doing this myself next week when I take it apart again to redo my crappy plastidip job.
If I remember I'll post here if the sound disappears after. I think it will.

GL
Old 11-22-2013, 10:34 AM
sry110

Originally Posted by JCITY
I sure would not go through the trouble of taking off the strut cover unless you knew for sure thats the source of the problem.I've never heard of this problem before.
What I suggest is to take some bungee cords and wrap around the strut cover.
See if that helps.Possibly some spray lubricant under the edges of the cover...
I've got a CF cover on mine.No noise.
Got a feeling the squeaks are coming from something under your Z not at the bar area.
I can say with confidence that the sound is coming from inside the hatch area. In fact, when I tap/bang laterally on the strut bar with my fist, I get a less-amplified version of the same squeak/chirp to occur. I removed the two plastic moulding pieces on either side of the center aluminum 'Z' cover, but the sound persisted. Unfortunately I can't find any way to remove the center aluminum cover without taking all of the black plastic cladding off. Is that an accurate assessment?

Originally Posted by iamjustincase
I have this same issue, sounds like a bird chirping in your hatch.
I just took apart all the plastic on my rear strut tower bar to plastidip,
When I put them back together I thought about putting 2 sided tape on the backs of all the pieces
But didn't have any on hand at the time.

The plastic pieces are only held together with little clips and it all comes apart with just a small amount of prying with fingers, so I'd suggest pulling the top and side pieces off and trying the two sided tape in there. The whole process is half hour tops it comes apart very easily.

I will be doing this myself next week when I take it apart again to redo my crappy plastidip job.
If I remember I'll post here if the sound disappears after. I think it will.

GL
Exactly, sounds like a baby bird chirping over every bump. Glad to know I'm not the only one (misery loves company). Almost sounds like a very light metal-on-metal scraping could cause this sound. I may tear into it this weekend. Please do post back about what you find and whether you are able to fix it.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:54 AM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got the same noise but I'm too lazy to even do anything about it lol.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:14 PM
jkim824

I also have the same issue but lazy to figure it out as well
Old 11-22-2013, 12:29 PM
sry110

Originally Posted by 350Zdj
Got the same noise but I'm too lazy to even do anything about it lol.
Originally Posted by jkim824
I also have the same issue but lazy to figure it out as well
I was ignoring it for a while, but now it irritates me so much that it takes a lot of enjoyment out of driving the car. It adds to the myriad shakes and rattles that the car already has, but is the most annoying by far. I think I'll tear into it tomorrow morning.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I never had the problem you describe until I disassembled the covers to run wiring for my GPS antenna and Sirius/XM radio antenna.

I took the covers apart a second time and re-assembled, being very careful to seat every piece.. That fixed the squeak.

Lately I’ve been hearing a squeak from the top of my center console, which I’ve disassembled numerous times, so it’s time to address this problem.

Who you gonna call??… Squeak Busters!

--Spike
Old 11-23-2013, 10:52 AM
iamjustincase

To get the silver z piece out I popped off the two black top pieces on either side. Then I just pushed the front and back plastic pieces away from the silver just enough so the clips come apart.

Like that I was able to completely remove silver z piece , paint it and reinstall. I didn't even have to take out my subwoofer box sitting between strut bar and back of car.

Try the two sided tape. I'm certain this will work, I did it on my old car, had to use the tape on every piece cuz of some broken clips causing rattles/squeaks in the dashboard.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:54 AM
iamjustincase

Btw there are two clips holding the silver piece to the strut bar so it will take some force to pull off. Just make sure it's not catching on the other plastic pieces and give a good yank.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OP have ever you removed your rear hatch inside cover?

I have a chirp/rattle coming from that section on my Z which I was able to fix by putting some silicone in that location.

Maybe try the same under the strut but be careful not to break anything
Old 11-23-2013, 04:42 PM
sry110

Originally Posted by Waizzz

I have a chirp/rattle coming from that section on my Z which I was able to fix by putting some silicone in that location.

Yes, in fact I did remove the hatch cover to remove my rear wiper. But I think it's coming from the strut bar area. Didn't have a chance to get into it today but will try for tomorrow and will report back.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:12 AM
sry110

Originally Posted by Waizzz

Thanks for the suggestion! I had removed the hatch inside cover a couple years back to install my rear spoiler. I removed it the other day to see if I could find the squeak, and when I did so a couple of the clips broke (the ones that are plastic tabs with metal clips slipped over them)....and I think it was the now broken clips that were making the squeaking sound because it went away! Now I can actually enjoy driving the car again!