Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installed full size carbon fiber cooling plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 12:07 AM
3pointer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed full size carbon fiber cooling plate

I got this carbon fiber cooling plate from Phatmitzu. It only took me less than 5 mins to install them. Fitment is PERFERT/tight fit. The only down side is there is some uneven (smear) patterns on the edges. But it still looks great and well worth it $$.

the hole is for the hood latch is a little bit smaller than ARC's, it make me a little harder to get the latch at the 1st few time. but once you get used to it. It won't be a problem.

Last edited by 3pointer; 02-04-2004 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:12 AM
apsilon

Looks good. I also think it's a good example of the difference between the JDM intake and the US one. You can see how much larger the US intake is.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:22 PM
BJF2K

This cooling plate is made by autotecknic motorsports and i think they produce it in Japan... they do a pretty good job with this cooling plate... i love it! (nice pix)
Old 01-31-2004, 03:27 PM
Phatmitzu

U GO BOY! Looks nice!
Old 01-31-2004, 03:50 PM
seanrulz

Me likey.. Price?
Old 01-31-2004, 06:16 PM
B2BigAl

Newb quesiton but, other than looking snazzy, what do the cooling plates do exaclty.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:13 PM
Phatmitzu

Originally posted by seanrulz
Me likey.. Price?
Originally posted by B2BigAl
Newb quesiton but, other than looking snazzy, what do the cooling plates do exaclty.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=57788

Old 01-31-2004, 09:31 PM
B2BigAl

Sorry, should have been more specific. I figured that it was to direct air through the radiator more efficiently. What I meant was is there any real benefit to having one of these. What's to be gained by it? Obviously a cooler engine will perform better, but do these cooling plates really make a difference.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:40 AM
ypwpat

Originally posted by apsilon
Looks good. I also think it's a good example of the difference between the JDM intake and the US one. You can see how much larger the US intake is.
apsilon, regarding the large intake of US and ours in AUS is the same. I install one my self here and have the same gap on the intake. So i guess the AUS Version intake is already the Same as US version.

Also the downside about this cooling plate is what i think it will make your engine hotter. Because it block all the cold air entering the Engine Bay, which directed to the airduct. But this is just my logic thought.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:41 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hood seal

Originally posted by B2BigAl
Sorry, should have been more specific. I figured that it was to direct air through the radiator more efficiently. What I meant was is there any real benefit to having one of these. What's to be gained by it? Obviously a cooler engine will perform better, but do these cooling plates really make a difference.
If you look at the hood on the Z you will see that there are already seals to isolate the airspace in front of the radiator from the space behind it.

These kits are fine for looks but I am guessing they don't do much for cooling.

On this particular kit I am not crazy about how it encroaches on the air path in front of the factory moulded air intake. The factory horn shape is very nice, but this plate seems to be partially blocking it. If it was me I would trim the plate back there.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:44 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Smaller air flow cross section

Here is a picture of what I mean. The area I have circled in red looks to me like area that is used by the stock air intake but it partially blocked off by this plate.

I ain't trying to flame anyone. I just wanted to point it out since the plate in this area could be trimmed. It is also possible that it is hurting performance as it is now.
Attached Thumbnails installed full size carbon fiber cooling plate-airgap.jpg  
Old 02-01-2004, 01:13 PM
Phatmitzu

Default Re: Hood seal

Originally posted by AndyB
If you look at the hood on the Z you will see that there are already seals to isolate the airspace in front of the radiator from the space behind it...
Originally posted by AndyB
Here is a picture of what I mean. The area I have circled in red looks to me like area that is used by the stock air intake but it partially blocked off by this plate.

I ain't trying to flame anyone. I just wanted to point it out since the plate in this area could be trimmed. It is also possible that it is hurting performance as it is now.
The cooling plate is directing the air from BENEATH the plate, where the air is coming from the center of the bumper. NOT to direct the air coming from the top(There shouldnt be a gap between the hood and the bumper anyways). The plate caps off the top so the air coming from beheath does not turbulent to the top from the left and right holes as well as the center where the hood hatch is. That also explains the design for the factory inlet, it directs air right INTO it instead of blocking off. Like you said, the factory hood there are already seals to isolate the airspace, then there will be NO AIR coming from the gap. Then there will be NO AIR to block off. Correct?

Old 02-01-2004, 01:16 PM
Tim'sZ

Where do you get the ARC Cooling plate?
Old 02-01-2004, 01:29 PM
apsilon

Default Re: Re: Hood seal

Originally posted by Phatmitzu
The cooling plate is directing the air from BENEATH the plate, where the air is coming from the center of the bumper. NOT to direct the air coming from the top(There shouldnt be a gap between the hood and the bumper anyways). The plate caps off the top so the air coming from beheath does not turbulent to the top from the left and right holes as well as the center where the hood hatch is. That also explains the design for the factory inlet, it directs air right INTO it instead of blocking off. Like you said, the factory hood there are already seals to isolate the airspace, then there will be NO AIR coming from the gap. Then there will be NO AIR to block off. Correct?

That's correct and relates to my original post in this thread. This is a Japanese part. The intake on the JDM Zeds is smaller than the US ones which explains why it doesn't line up/cover the US intake completely.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:03 PM
3pointer

I believe this cooling plate is functional. Gain, I don't think I am getting a lot. If loss, how much I could loss. That's why I bought it for cosmetic purpose only and I think it looks great.

Originally posted by Tim'sZ
Where do you get the ARC Cooling plate?
The ACR Ti panel I got it from a friend who lives in Japan and since I got this full size carbon fiber one, so I am selling the ACR now.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:22 PM
seanrulz

Hmm.. I saw the thread in private GB section...but since that thread looks fairly inactive... I'll post it here. I'm interested in this full CF cooling panel. Who should I contact? and is GB still on?
I think phatmitzu can give me some answers
Old 02-01-2004, 09:36 PM
BJF2K

Originally posted by seanrulz
Hmm.. I saw the thread in private GB section...but since that thread looks fairly inactive... I'll post it here. I'm interested in this full CF cooling panel. Who should I contact? and is GB still on?
I think phatmitzu can give me some answers
phatmitzu will be starting another group buy for this product after all the people on the first one got theirs, phatmitzu will be able to give you more detail on that
Old 02-02-2004, 05:33 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may have to buy a few from phatmitzu myself as the company that makes these wont return my inquires!!
Old 02-02-2004, 07:13 PM
final gear

is that a dry carbon or wet carbon ? from the pix it looks like a wet carbon type, some part of the carbon woven are twisted and showing uneven carbon fiber ??? I be really interested if that is a dry carbon made !!!!
Old 02-03-2004, 12:59 PM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always wondered why would people spend money for something that nor helps perfomance neither visible to other people. I guess that "cooling" plate looks cool when you open you hood on some car show... but that's about all it'a good for. If you want to increase airflow - cut the inlet right infront of intake. otherwise, it's pretty well designed already. no additional "cooling" plates necessary.

Quick Reply: installed full size carbon fiber cooling plate