Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted Wheels, Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 05:45 AM
Minuvyrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JERZ350
If those are your tires, then you have the wrong sizes on. Sidewall size is way too small. That's why your wheelgap looks huge and your wheels look tiny even being 18's.

I think your paint color for the wheels looks great though!

Should be: Front : 225/45R18 91W, Rear : 245/45R18 96W

To compare - mine with stock sizes and stock height:
Thanks, I agree that my tires are too small, and I had my suspicions about them as the reason they look so small. But I was planning on putting either coilovers or lower springs on in the next year. So maybe it will work out for me, it will just look a bit silly until that time.

So what is the consensus on spacers? I keep hearing people say that they damage the vehicle, and that running them at AutoX would be a bad thing. But is this actually true?
Old 05-16-2014, 05:56 AM
JERZ350

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's been a long debate whether or not wheel spacers damage your suspension. The question is whether or not they add stress to the joints by extending the load out further. Basically like standing in one spot with your legs spread wider apart...you'll get tired faster than if your legs were straight.

I have a set of spacers that I was using for a while, had no issues. I don't have them on anymore only because I didn't want to have to take them on and off every time I need new tires/alignment....tire shops complain when they see cars with them on (Have 20MM front 20MM back)...have been thinking of selling mine

If you're going to get the spacers, I highly suggest getting ones with the bolts built into it as one unit. The ones I have are Ichiba V2 and I think they are great quality.

These are the ones: http://www.ichibausa.com/ProductDeta...e=WS-25511466B

If you want more peace of mind, get aftermarket wheels with the correct offsets...

Last edited by JERZ350; 05-16-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:59 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,101 Likes on 6,557 Posts

Originally Posted by JERZ350
It's been a long debate whether or not wheel spacers damage your suspension. The question is whether or not they add stress to the joints be extending the load out further. Basically like standing in one spot with your legs spread wider apart...you'll get tired faster than if your legs were straight.

I have a set of spacers that I was using for a while, had no issues. I don't have them on anymore only because I didn't want to have to take them on and off every time I need new tires/alignment....tire shops complain when they see cars with them on (Have 20MM front 20MM back)...have been thinking of selling mine

If you're going to get the spacers, I highly suggest getting ones with the bolts built into it as one unit. The ones I have are Ichiba V2 and I think they are great quality.

These are the ones: http://www.ichibausa.com/ProductDeta...e=WS-25511466B

If you want more piece of mind, get aftermarket wheels with the correct offsets...
as much as spacers cost for decent ones, put that money towards new wheels
Old 05-16-2014, 09:19 AM
ARRRT

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

nice!
don't stop now)))
Old 05-16-2014, 12:18 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I'll save you the trouble of worrying about spacers and bearings...did a LOT of research myself before I bought mine.

Bottom line...ball bearings have a very very long life, and some bearings can die an early death just from manufacturing tolerances being varied at time of production...that's why some of our wheel hubs (they have bearings inside) go for 100k miles, while one may die at 60k or 70k....so a side tip for you here...if you have to replace a wheel hub..replace ONLY the one that went out...you do not have to replace them in pairs as a mechanic will "strongly suggest"..it's total nonsense...the new ones may last 100k, it may last less....and since you can't tell if the non-broken wheel hub on your car is one that will go for 100k or not, the odds are way in your favor that just because one bearing in a wheel hub went out on one side, it doesn't mean that a bearing or two will go out on the other side, as their life spans are generally very very long...but sometimes one can go bad due to production variation...which...ties in to the belief that spacers cause premature bearing failure.....if a bearing went out after installing spacers it could've just been a bearing death due to production variance at the factory.

Now...can spacers cause bearing wear?....theoretically....maybe..depends how hard you drive your car, but you'd have to drive it hard hard and for a long time to just shorten the life by a little bit. I wouldn't worry one bit, and don't.

Proof? Porsche runs spacers in their factory lineup....it's a factory option, and other racing crews run spacers in their race cars as well.

The only key is to get hub-centric spacers from a reputable brand, and ensure they are installed tightly, which just means installed like you would your rim. It's not rocket science, and if there's ANY issue..you'd feel it on the highway or possibly at slower speeds.

In other words...do not worry about bearing wear or suspension wear whatsoever....lowering your car wears out the suspension faster no question, but if you swap to urethane bushings you'll never have to replace the bushings again. So...just lower your car..in a year or two you may to replace some bushings, and at that time just put in White Line urethane bushings in the front (rears will be fine for a long long time even lowered) and you're done and headache free. Z's are great this way...easy and relatively inexpensive to modify while retaining reliability if smart part choices are made.

You'll like how spacers change the handling a little as well...widened rear and stock front makes the car feel like the rear is much wider than stock...spacers on front and rear make it feel a little more...planted? ish..?....not sure how to say it...I've run spacers in each configuration..rears only, fronts only, and front and rear just to learn and for fun....spacers all around is great.

Saved
Old 05-16-2014, 12:35 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Spacers, as well as aftermarket wheels with extreme offsets, can most certainly cause premature bearing wear. Think about the geometry involved. The stock bearings are designed to take a particular load, and if you increase that load by changing the angle of pressure the wheel exerts on that bearing, that force may be outside the design parameters. Not sure what "research" you did, but I can tell you that hearsay doesn't count, nor does your anecdotal "proof". Physics does.

There can certainly be other safety issues involving the use of spacers, but that question doesn't seem to be the basis of this thread.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:03 PM
savedbygrace

You're free to do your own research and post the findings that contradict my talking to mechanics, fellow car enthusiasts, dealerships, friends that are heavily connected to various experts in the car industry, etc..

Porsche uses spacers....this isn't "anecdotal"....German engineering has learned facts over decades of racing, research, and their ability to research these matters far further than any of us. They are more credible than either of us and they endorse spacers.

20mm of wheel spacer on a daily driver 350z will not wear out your hub assembly noticeably faster than an oem fitment. SUV's going off road...yes...those are the examples where physics strains oem designs past their breaking points as the articulation is more extreme and varied, with extreme changes in weight to the load bearing leverages as big rocks are traveled over in varying rates of acceleration then deceleration while under turn to navigate the bumpy terrain....a physics nightmare if you will for the mechanical portions not designed to withstand over-leveraged suspension travel.

You chose to add the verbabe of "extreme fitments"...we're not talking extremes...we're talking 20mm and 25mm of spacers on a slightly lowered car that is daily driven. Not a big deal. If it's a big deal of wearing out bearings faster, I'll leave it to you to explain the physics that you reference.

Saved
Old 05-16-2014, 04:26 PM
Caidrac

Here are my newly painted wheels. I bought the set used, because the 2005 Touring wheels are the ugliest of all the 350Z wheels, and had them repaired... One had to be straightened, the others had curb rash. 20mm spacers in the front 25 in the rear. I don't worry about bearing wear, because I know how to fix stuff...

Name:  20140505_170817.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  115.9 KB

Name:  20140505_170833.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  120.3 KB

Name:  20140505_171209.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  113.6 KB
Old 05-16-2014, 06:26 PM
dcains

Originally Posted by savedbygrace
You're free to do your own research and post the findings that contradict my talking to mechanics, fellow car enthusiasts, dealerships, friends that are heavily connected to various experts in the car industry, etc..

Porsche uses spacers....this isn't "anecdotal"....German engineering has learned facts over decades of racing, research, and their ability to research these matters far further than any of us. They are more credible than either of us and they endorse spacers.

20mm of wheel spacer on a daily driver 350z will not wear out your hub assembly noticeably faster than an oem fitment. SUV's going off road...yes...those are the examples where physics strains oem designs past their breaking points as the articulation is more extreme and varied, with extreme changes in weight to the load bearing leverages as big rocks are traveled over in varying rates of acceleration then deceleration while under turn to navigate the bumpy terrain....a physics nightmare if you will for the mechanical portions not designed to withstand over-leveraged suspension travel.

You chose to add the verbabe of "extreme fitments"...we're not talking extremes...we're talking 20mm and 25mm of spacers on a slightly lowered car that is daily driven. Not a big deal. If it's a big deal of wearing out bearings faster, I'll leave it to you to explain the physics that you reference.

Saved
You're right - because spacers work on a Porsche, they'll work on a Z. How could I have been so dense. Maybe later I'll relocate the engine in my Z to behind the rear axle.

As for whether 20 or 25mm spacers will cause more wheel bearing wear on a Z, I couldn't say. Neither can you, and that's my point. Statements of fact are evidence-based, not based on casual observations.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:54 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Minuvyrus
There was no can involved, they were painted in a paint booth, with a paint gun.....
After clicking on the images I see the clear coat on the wheels now. Those are an improvement since they look brand new. I just got used to newbs rattle canning their OEM wheels to be "different." This is more of a refurbish and looks good.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:59 PM
dcains

The Track wheels look great on a near-stock Z, and that set really does look brand new. I wonder how they'd look with a polished lip, like the silver LMGT4's?
Old 05-17-2014, 08:24 PM
Minuvyrus

Okay so I think the next thing I will do is paint my door handles and the emblems that are the painted silver color stock I am going to paint all of them the same color.

I haven't decided whether I should paint my calipers red or black though.

From there I may check out some spacers, lowering springs, etc.

Thanks for all your help everyone
Old 05-17-2014, 10:02 PM
dcains

Don't paint your calipers - it's not a Civic.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:31 PM
savedbygrace

Hey on the caliper topic....one thing I'll add to help you out....if you paint the calipers they'll look alright, but to really pull off the look grab a pair of slotted and drilled rotors, even stock size..don't have to have a big brake kit or anything...and it really will add a touch of classy sport to the overall look.

I'd vote red if you're going for sporty, otherwise I'd leave it silver personally.

Enjoy your ride how YOU enjoy your ride though...other people's opinions exist for their life....live yours according to your own preferences.

And dcains....not sure why you feel a need to add "tone" to your replies...just either be helpful or don't be helpful...but no need to stir a pot, especially with strangers who are just trying to help each other out. No wars between us man. Believe what you believe, and if I'm wrong I don't see it as that big of a deal, but all of my research gave me complete confidence that if the issue was truly a known issue, it wouldn't be so strongly debated still....and there'd be "evidence" in multiple forums about how damaging spacers are...but there is so little evidence it's obvious that there is NOT a lot of evidence...and what's that tell you? Tells me the same thing Porsche says....use spacers and enjoy them....especially for daily driving usage. Hub assemblies will go out around 100k anyway, for some sooner, regardless of spacers.

Saved
Old 05-18-2014, 07:36 PM
savedbygrace

Hey dcains...

Just want to point out that first you say you know...and now you say you don't know....

"Spacers...... can most certainly cause premature bearing wear."

followed by....

"As for whether 20 or 25mm spacers will cause more wheel bearing wear on a Z, I couldn't say."

If you can't state a position on the matter, why are you attacking my sharing my position on the matter? Especially without facts or evidence to speak to?

Saved