Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver door won't stay open

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 08:56 AM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The pics were just taken with a regular camera while the door was torn apart to put sound deadener in it. I take pictures of everything and just happened to have one at the right angle to see the door brake.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:56 PM
maui1girl

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thought I would share the awesome solution my boyfriend came up with for the Door Check. I've been struggling with the door slamming on my shin since I bought it in 04. We were replacing the window motor and he decided to check it out. First, here is what the stock door check in my car looks like:

In the photo above, you can see the little dog ears that hold the mechanism that squeezes the check together. Inside are two pieces of white plastic that pinch against the black arm and supposedly keep the door open. Then there are also two rubber blocks that help hold the pressure.

We pried the ears back and opened the metal part (the part at the bottom of this photo) and removed the white plastic and rubber pieces. He ground the white pieces down a bit (because they are designed to press against each other inside that housing, and the hole between them is too big, making the arm and bulges ineffective) so they now are tighter, and the best part (get this) is that we put two dimes in as spacers. They were just slightly too big for the opening, so he ground one side flat and it now works perfectly.

I REALLY WISH I had taken some photos,I know the description is not perfect, but once you get those ears open and look inside this will make perfect sense.

It should be noted that in order to get the Door Check out of the car, the door card has to be removed and you access the door check through the speaker hole (so the speaker has to come out too) The previous post shows a photo of the inside of the door and the silver square visible above the speaker magnet is the part we altered. Royal pain in the butt but he made it look easy, and I giggle with glee every time I open the door and it doesn't slam shut again

Last edited by maui1girl; 10-19-2019 at 01:23 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by maui1girl:
813_350Z (10-18-2019), ADMAN (11-19-2019), jerryhild (09-17-2020), rigogs (10-23-2020)
Old 10-18-2019, 06:04 PM
813_350Z

Received 318 Likes on 247 Posts

Maui, thank you so much for contributing to an old thread with highly worthwhile information!

I have experienced this problem on my Z since I bought it, but have grown used to it. I while have to take the door apart and check this out when I have free time. Nice work!

Last edited by 813_350Z; 10-18-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:17 PM
maui1girl

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 813_350Z
Maui, thank you so much for contributing to an old thread with highly worthwhile information!

I have experienced this problem on my Z since I bought it, but have grown used to it. I while have to take the door apart and check for this out when I have free time. Nice work!
Hopefully you manage to get some photos to make sense of my description 😁
Old 11-19-2019, 09:29 PM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

I had forgotten how irritating this is - especially when parked on an incline.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:48 PM
rigogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a solution to this issue on my son's car, thanks for posting the info and others the photos--very helpful as we keep these older Zs on road.

Originally Posted by maui1girl
Thought I would share the awesome solution my boyfriend came up with for the Door Check. I've been struggling with the door slamming on my shin since I bought it in 04. We were replacing the window motor and he decided to check it out. First, here is what the stock door check in my car looks like:

In the photo above, you can see the little dog ears that hold the mechanism that squeezes the check together. Inside are two pieces of white plastic that pinch against the black arm and supposedly keep the door open. Then there are also two rubber blocks that help hold the pressure.

We pried the ears back and opened the metal part (the part at the bottom of this photo) and removed the white plastic and rubber pieces. He ground the white pieces down a bit (because they are designed to press against each other inside that housing, and the hole between them is too big, making the arm and bulges ineffective) so they now are tighter, and the best part (get this) is that we put two dimes in as spacers. They were just slightly too big for the opening, so he ground one side flat and it now works perfectly.

I REALLY WISH I had taken some photos,I know the description is not perfect, but once you get those ears open and look inside this will make perfect sense.

It should be noted that in order to get the Door Check out of the car, the door card has to be removed and you access the door check through the speaker hole (so the speaker has to come out too) The previous post shows a photo of the inside of the door and the silver square visible above the speaker magnet is the part we altered. Royal pain in the butt but he made it look easy, and I giggle with glee every time I open the door and it doesn't slam shut again
Old 10-23-2020, 08:28 PM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

Most of the time the auto closing door is awesome, there are a few times when it's not lol.
Old 08-11-2023, 07:53 AM
Zefix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are two main ways I have seen through research online.

OPTION 1: Replace door stopper with an OEM part from the GTR

OPTION 2: Shove a piece of plastic inside the door stopper

I hope these links are helpful.
I know I'm bumping an old thread, but this issue will persist until the year all 350z cars are extinct.