Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Handle Cover Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 09:43 PM
GageAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Door Handle Cover Removal

Hi there. I'm looking to vinyl wrap this piece but I'm not sure how to remove it. Anybody know how? Feel free to send a link if there is already a guide, I just couldn't find one.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:29 AM
The Swede

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

You need to remove the entire door panel and take screws out from behind to get that off. It's not too bad. When you've done it once it only takes 5 minutes to get it off and 5 to get it back on.

Driver side:
Pop off the cover for the window switches, disconnect the window switches and anything that gets in the way and then remove the two screws going into the door.
Lift the door handle (from inside, like if you were to open the door), remove the little plastic bit under the handle (the smaller one, not the one you want to wrap, it just pops off) and remove 1 screw going into the door behind it.
Now pop the bottom of the door panel loose from the door, it's only held on by clips from here on. Be firm but careful. When all the clips are loose around the bottom and sides of the door, lift it up to get it off.
Remove the cables to the door handle mechanism and your inner door panel is free. You should now be able to figure out the rest. There are 4 screws holding the bit you want iirc. It looks like it's connected to the door vent but they just slide apart.

The passenger side:
Pop off the alu trim bit from the inner door handle and remove the top and bottom screw.
Pop off the window switch cover and remove the screws. The rest is the same.

There's a really good guide with pictures and everything somewhere around here. Search and ye shall find. It. The guide that is.

Last edited by The Swede; 12-13-2016 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:55 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by The Swede
Lift the door handle (inside), remove the little plastic bit under the handle (just pops off) and remove 1 screw going into the door.
Ummmm, why would he need to remove the whole door handle if all he wants to do is cover that piece you told him to just pop off. What am I missing here?

I get it if the rest of the vent assembly is going to be covered but otherwise that piece with the arrow on it does just pop out using a panel tool.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:22 AM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The piece you pop out is under the pull handle. You can't see it in the picture. You have to pull the handle out and pop the plastic out from behind it.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:24 AM
The Swede

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

@Mic
I stole this pic so ignore what the text on it says but...

This is the piece that pops out (yellow rectangle). The other part (the one OP wants to wrap, under the blue text) is fastened from behind with 4 screws which is why you need to take the door panel off.
The piece that OP's arrow points to and the part encircling the vent assembly is all one and the same.
I do apologize for the confusion, I realize my reply wasn't as clear as I thought it was.

Ye what 92K1500 said!

Last edited by The Swede; 12-13-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:25 AM
92K1500

Old 12-13-2016, 06:28 AM
92K1500

I've always used a curved pick to hook in the slot by the handle hinge to pop it out. Seemed to be the easiest.

Saturday evening I ended up pulling my door panel off instead of cleaning my windshield and instead of walking over to the toolbox to get a screwdriver or pick I was able to get my fingernail under the edge of it and pop it loose. Twice.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:52 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Ahhh, gottit..... been a while since I've had to remove the door panels (last time to replace that very handle. (With the dumb little nylon cable hook.... psh.)

So ya, door panel is actually a 5 minute removal, couple mins more to unscrew da handle to remove.