Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my headlight toast?

Old 12-22-2017, 09:09 AM
TristanZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my headlight toast?

So I recently painted the inside of my headlights black & all was fine and dandy for a while until my passenger side HID went out. Took it out just now & there's a small amount of water inside. Dumped it out & drying it off right now, crossing my fingers that I don't have to go out & buy a new headlight. When it's completely dry I'll take the bulb out & test it in the other light & vice versa to see if it's just the bulb or the ballast. How resistant are the ballasts to water? For those who have attempted this DIY, what's the best way to reseal the lights? I baked the old glue but I guess that wasn't enough. Thanks & pray for my light!
Old 12-22-2017, 12:39 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Do you have your fender liners installed?
Old 12-22-2017, 02:19 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by TristanZ
So I recently painted the inside of my headlights black & all was fine and dandy for a while until my passenger side HID went out. Took it out just now & there's a small amount of water inside. Dumped it out & drying it off right now, crossing my fingers that I don't have to go out & buy a new headlight. When it's completely dry I'll take the bulb out & test it in the other light & vice versa to see if it's just the bulb or the ballast. How resistant are the ballasts to water? For those who have attempted this DIY, what's the best way to reseal the lights? I baked the old glue but I guess that wasn't enough. Thanks & pray for my light!
You don't see the answer in your own statement??

Butyl adhesives are the only/best way to seal them correctly. NEW butyl adhesive.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:13 AM
TristanZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
You don't see the answer in your own statement??

Butyl adhesives are the only/best way to seal them correctly. NEW butyl adhesive.
​​​​​​​Yes I realize that I'm asking whether the ballast is completely ruined.

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
Do you have your fender liners installed?
On that side, no I didn't. When I did my headlights I was too tired & hungry by the end that by the time I had the bumper & other fender liner in I said screw it I'll do it over the weekend. It's so frustrating to take this car apart without a jack. I got all the water out & used my heat gun to evaporate whatever water was in my ballast & it works good as new. Will reseal when I get another day off. Thanks guys.

Last edited by TristanZ; 12-26-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:48 AM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Ballast is toast, bulb is resistant. Just had an issue the other week that caused water to get into my housing thru the vent port. Swapped the ballast and the bulb was fine. Good luck