Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

350z Roadster Trunk Lid Paint Blisters

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 03:24 PM
Tomypasta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z Roadster Trunk Lid Paint Blisters

Has anyone else experience the paint getting big air bubbles or blisters on the trunk lid of there roadster. I will try and post pictures. Is this a known problem on these cars? What is the proper fix so it doesn't reappear after it gets repainted. Thanks in advance
Old 04-06-2018, 05:56 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Never heard of this being a common problem with Z33Rs. I've even got a Silverstone ZR in my backyard that I've been parting out for years, and the trunk lid paint still looks great. More likely some form of paint contamination in your area that damaged the clearcoat.

BTW- this is the wrong forum (370Z exterior/interior) for your car.

Last edited by dkmura; 04-06-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:50 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

Not to mention.....typical noob double post

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...-blisters.html
Old 04-07-2018, 07:18 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Moved to correct sub forum.
The following users liked this post:
dkmura (04-07-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 10:07 AM
RedScytheZ

I had this happen on my 2005 roadster.

When I bought my roadster 4 years ago it only had 12,000 miles and it sat garaged most of its life in Michigan. I had it shipped to west Texas and I had it parked outside in the intense sun roughly half of the day every day.

I remember test fitting a stock spoiler and I hit the paint with an unnoticed bolt underneath the spoiler. When I inspected the spot I didn't see any damage to the paint and I never installed the spoiler. About a year later I noticed a tiny blister about the size of the hole where you plug your headphones into your phone. This was in the spot where hit the paint. Although I didn't see any damage when I first inspected the spot, I think it's possible the impact weakened the paint on a microscopic level - or maybe not.

The blister will eventually get bigger and bigger, then it will spit open exposing the raw under material. Water and moisture will get in and then that causes the blister to get even bigger until it becomes an air pocket with an opening. The paint will start to chip at the edges of the opening and the pocket will cave in if pressure is applied leaving an area with no paint.

I also experienced paint cracks around the rear Nissan emblem when I was inspecting the emblem. When I removed the emblem paint ended up coming off with it. This all was damage independent of the spoiler incident and suggested the paint's integrity declined over time, which is expected on a 13 year old car parked outside and sunned for about 5 hours a day.

Here's how I fixed it: I bought a really nice duck tail spoiler that I was planning to buy anyway, then installed it to cover all the damage. I then waited until I was able to find a replacement trunk lid at a local salvage yard for $200. I didn't bother taking it to get fixed because the depth of the damage was significant. Not only was the paint developing networks of thin cracks across multiple large surfaces, the paint was also loosing its bond with the actual surface. I figured if that large of an area had declined I would probably have to get the whole thing stripped down and repainted, which may be what you'll have to end up doing.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:19 AM
Tomypasta

Default 04 roadster trunk bubbles in paint

Thanks Red for your input. I got this car last July with 38k miles on it. I now have 39k miles and the car sits in the garage almost all the time. When I got it there was a big blister on the trunk where the round Nissan emblem goes. The seller told me that he was debadgeing the car and he caused it with the heat gun. I figured no big deal as I have a friend with a body shop that takes car of all my cars. So it never really bothered me so I left it be. Last week I had the car parked outside for a week or more with its car cover. When I took it off I noticed 3 more big blisters in the paint on the panel where the two trunk emblems go and another two right by the 3rd brake light. They look like a big air pocket uder the paint about 3 or 4 inches big. Very noticable. That's why I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue. I think the only thing I can do it repaint the entire trunk lid as well as the Panera with 3rd brake light. Aughhhh