Sponsored by:

Tips on repairing Cubby Door that is scratched plz

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 12:51 AM
Chromatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tips on repairing Cubby Door that is scratched plz

Heya,

My 2008 350Z Cubby Door is scratched.. This isn't MY door but this is one that is a little scuffed..

2008 350Z Cubby Door Scratched - need way to repair or cover WITHOUT removing waterfall/console at all...

Now I have removed my waterfall , center console, AC controls etc many times in the past and 1st it's a PITA with the Audio System I have going (9 Speakers, multiple amps, blah blah) to even get back in due to all the wiring behind it -- But moreover the trim piece for the Headunit will not go back properly if removed again .. and Honestly I Just don't want to deal with that hassle multi hour (for me) project.

I know that's the way to go to repaint etc..

I need a solution that I can paint the door --

Or I can touch the door up with some thing that won't get all over the rest of the car.

Or there is now some stick on whatever to cover it up and look decent in the process?

(Or something totally different that I'm unaware of).

Does anyone have any solutions for NON removal of the Cubby itself yet repairing the finish in some way?

For the rest of the car with issues (interior door handle/switch panels) .. Cross bar in hatch and so on .. I've just shelled out the cash to replace them because it takes seconds to replace those things,.. but this is different.

I'd even remove the door and mount something in there if that were possible if it looked good (if you can remove the door without removing the waterfall) .

You get the idea.

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-30-2018, 09:25 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

A friend swears by Dupli-Color fabric paint and he won Best Z33 2 years ago. I would think you'd want the entire centerpiece done so it all matches (obviously). Try it on the door, then decide.
Old 06-29-2023, 06:42 AM
bjbosco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be a terrible solution, so take it with a grain of salt. I had some black paint laying around that I was able to use to gently cover my scratches.

I used a combo of black matte, and black satin of this: https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...igh-heat-spray

You have to mix them to get the right sheen, which is lame. I had a cotton rag that I would hold in one hand and spray with both of them. 1 spray satin, 2 sprays matte. Then I'd very lightly wipe back and forth on the scratches trying my best to blend the edges evenly. Once it dries, you just do the same thing. Satin > matte > wipe. If its turning out too shiny (LET IT DRY COMPLETELY BEFORE YOU DECIDE THIS), then go heavier on the matte sprays when wetting the rag. If you're getting too matte, go heavier on the satin.

My console was much worse than yours is, and it looks almost new now. If the light hits it right you can tell there's slightly different sheen on the areas I wiped, but its virtually undetectable.