Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me (2005 Nissan 350z) Project Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 01:44 PM
Jim Stephens

Received 444 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by GreyZ
Tires look great. I am nearly certain that this tire belongs on the passenger side. It is a directional tire and that is the wrong direction. It wont make any difference in the dry, but will make a substantial difference in the damp or wet.
I had it installed at a Firestone Center. That picture is from the rear of the car and is on the driver side. How do you know it is the wrong direction? What am I looking for to ensure it is on the right direction? I can just switch sides if it is needed correct?
Old 05-16-2020, 01:54 PM
Jim Stephens

Dang! You are right! That dummy put them on the backwards! Arrow should be facing forward on the tire not backward. First pic is driver left rear from the front of the tire. Second pic is the driver front left. Thanks again for the catch! Even looking at it from the rear and one picture you caught it!

So, I went out with my son and took a look at the passenger side(No Pics). Those are mounted the correct direction! So, back to the Firestonre center where they are going to have to dismount the two driver side tires, take them off, flip them and remount them correctly. At least, it is not my project this time. LOL. I will grab a cup a coffee and pay them a visit in the morning. I had them do my last tire install and they did a good job and they generally get high marks at that place. Sure they will take care of it.

As I side note, I went around to get outside during the process and said hello to the guy who was doing my tires from outside of the work area and immediately could tell he was not wanting to talk (which is fine, people are busy working), but also appeared unhappy. Subtle stuff, but it was very apparent to me in just a moment. The result shows in the work done sometimes.

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 05-16-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:13 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Good eye from GrayZ, glad you got it corrected! I'm sure the tire tech is worried about his job. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know if you spun out/wrecked and someone noticed mismounted tires lawyers could be all over the employee and shop. Glad you're ok!
Old 05-17-2020, 07:51 AM
Jim Stephens

Originally Posted by jhc
Good eye from GrayZ, glad you got it corrected! I'm sure the tire tech is worried about his job. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know if you spun out/wrecked and someone noticed mismounted tires lawyers could be all over the employee and shop. Glad you're ok!
Yesterday, before I was aware of this, I unexpectedly clipped a large puddle merging onto the frwy. Could have happened.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:22 AM
GreyZ

Received 174 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Stephens
I had it installed at a Firestone Center. That picture is from the rear of the car and is on the driver side. How do you know it is the wrong direction? What am I looking for to ensure it is on the right direction? I can just switch sides if it is needed correct?
It helps to imagine the tire rolling though a shallow puddle. If the tire is a heavy chevron pattern (like the 595 ss) you want the tip of the chevron to contact the puddle first and as the tire rolls through, the water gets channeled out from under the tire to the edges. If the outsides of the chevron contact the puddle first, the water will be shoved towards the center of the tread, increasing the likelihood for the tire to ride on top of the water and hydroplane.
The following users liked this post:
Jim Stephens (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 11:25 AM
Jim Stephens

Now that I have the V1 Track Rays mounted up and ready to go for AutoX my son is back on the black color for them. I am neutral as they are just for track running. I have been told it's easier to spot cracks and defects in the wheel if it remains silver which makes sense. However, we may get them powder coated dark metallic Gray or Black for fun anyway. I was looking at pictures of cars off Google to see how the yellow car looked with something Grey'ish in color and guess what? I found my car! Yep, I found the ad from the Original Owner when he sold the car after owning it 10 years. Pretty cool. Matches what I had been told as I am the fourth owner. Owner 1, hardly drove it, all stock except the wheels, Owner 2 Doctor, toy, hardly drove it, Owner 3 kid, stripped it down owned it for 6 months and sold it to me. Hence all of the interior work I had to do to get back to OEM. The other interesting thing is if you look at the ad he put the wrong sized tires on it way back, so it has had that traction control light on for a looooong time, because when I bought it, it had those same size tires still on it. Judging from the dates they were the originals! I got the tires sizes right so no more light. Thing has been on so long it's a wonder the light did not burn out. LOL. Just rolled past 50k yesterday...

http://veh-markets.com/cars/nissan-c...ed-manual.html

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 05-18-2020 at 11:34 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim Stephens:
jhc (05-19-2020), KBoltz (05-19-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 01:34 PM
Jim Stephens

Hey, all tackling the one last issue on my Z that I have been putting off. My Volk wheels do not have TPMS sensors installed. Pretty certain they never have. After after buying the TPMS sensors I am now understanding why they do not have them, since the wheels have a unique 90 degree bend and then go out to the side the standard tpms monitors will not work. Will post a picture of it. After some conversation the guys at the shop they mentioned looking into a "strap" to hold the sensor to the wheel. Researched it on this website and I think I found what I need from West Coast Corevette. Is this the best way to do this or is there some other solution?

After further reading there appears to be two other possible solutions beyond the strap method. A 90 degree TPMS or an adapter that works with a standared TPMS, although I am still trying to visualize how the the first one will work..
https://www.tpmsdirect.com/Are_My_Af...ible_a/695.htm

https://www.westcoastcorvette.com/pr...gle%20Shopping

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 05-26-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:56 PM
GreyZ

Received 174 Likes on 130 Posts

I pulled apart my dash and disabled the tpms LED. I switch wheels enough and carry a tire pressure gauge with me. It was too much of a headache to try to get the TPMS system to function for me.

YMMV
Old 05-27-2020, 04:04 AM
Jim Stephens

I hear ya, kinda a pain. Well I am going to give these a try and see if they work for me. Ironically, I found these on ebay and apparently they claim to be specifically for VOLK wheels. We will see.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+Work&_sacat=0

KBoltz (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 08:17 AM
KBoltz

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

I finally managed to come home after a 8 week deployment to of all places, Vermont?

I hate snow and it snowed on me 6 times, profusely. In April and May. WTF, OVER?

Anyways, now you got me wanting to get another set of wheels Jim. You, my friend, are an enabler, you know that!!! ROFLMAO!!!!

I'll do what you did, look for good used street wheels and tires. Again, just like you, I see absolutely no need to plunk down serious coin for a occasional weekend driver/autocross toy for new wheels and tires. Stitch's whole purpose in life is for play.
Jim Stephens (06-02-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 08:39 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,285 Likes on 2,337 Posts

I hear ya, kinda a pain. Well I am going to give these a try and see if they work for me. Ironically, I found these on ebay and apparently they claim to be specifically for VOLK wheels. We will see.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+Work&_sacat=0
Interesting. Have never seen any of these TPMS mounts before - especially the Volk specific ones. I had GT-Cs and a couple of other Volks that used these 90-deg valve stems and they were next to impossible to obtain, especially with TPMS mounts. Found a couple of new sets private-party; bought both sets just in case.

FWIW, I haven't ever had TPMS in any wheels on my car and no TPMS warnings ever. Now makes me wonder what's up with that.... Not gonna go look though.
Jim Stephens (05-28-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 04:49 AM
Jim Stephens

So, I took the Z out for an evening drive and decided to hit the Toll Road where I could cruise a little faster with no traffic. This road runs from The Woodlands down to Houston. About 8 to 10 motorcycles came by me and I was going about 80mph they were going like 120mph plus. I mean they came and went by me in a blur. All of them laid down flat on their bikes and just hauling. Hope they made it home and my son will never have a motorcycle. I will not tell him that I did, in fact, get my motorcycle license and car license at the same time when I was 16. My Dad had some great bikes including a KZ650 that I nearly killed myself on many times. Of course, back then, the bikes were not as fast, and I lived in a very small town with not a lot of cars to hit me etc. I digress. So, on the way back on the toll road a huge diesel pickup truck (It is Texas after all) and a BMW SUV came by going over 100mph. I decided to tag along a bit behind and watch the race. I was probably just up around 110mph and they were pulling away. That truck was spewing smoke like crazy and eventually I just let them go as they were continuing to pick up speed. Not sure what has gotten into everyone lately? This brings me to today's potential project. I am getting some wind noise on the passenger side door over 80mph and am pretty sure given the age of the car it could use some new weather stripping. I am starting to research it and it appears to be something I can buy from Z1. The trick is, it also seems like a very difficult thing not to break the very expensive body trim to be able to install the new rubber. Anyone done this? Tips? Should I live with it for fear I will break the molding during the process? Seems like that piece is very expensive, not to mention it would need to be painted. If I took it to a dealership and had them do it, so it is their risk, would they you think?

Old 05-29-2020, 05:19 AM
Jim Stephens

Here is a video I found on it. Looks, kinda doable. Just need to probably order some extra clips if they break off.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:09 AM
Mully

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't shy away from car projects easily, but removing that piece is what is keeping me from wrapping my Z since they are ~$500 each. I figure if I break even one tab the fitment would suffer and potentially so would the weather stripping. Breaking one tab on 15 year old plastic seems like a very real possibility.

Personally I'd live with it. Sounds like it's the passenger's problem anyways.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:16 AM
Jim Stephens

Originally Posted by Mully
I don't shy away from car projects easily, but removing that piece is what is keeping me from wrapping my Z since they are ~$500 each. I figure if I break even one tab the fitment would suffer and potentially so would the weather stripping. Breaking one tab on 15 year old plastic seems like a very real possibility.

Personally I'd live with it. Sounds like it's the passenger's problem anyways.
LOL...glad to see I am not the only one feeling a bit uneasy about doing it. Shame it takes popping that thing off to put the seal in.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:05 PM
Jim Stephens

Got in the valve stems for the Volks. Looks like it may work with the tpms sensors. Next week I will see about getting them installed.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:52 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,285 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Got in the valve stems for the Volks. Looks like it may work with the tpms sensors. Next week I will see about getting them installed.
Interested to see what that does to your wheel balance. Looks like a lot of mass added but at least it looks like it could balance out by shifting tire on wheel plus a tad more weight.

Interesting contraption. Hope it has adequate secure point to keep it on the stem.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:14 AM
KBoltz

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Jim

I couldn't send the pics via the message function, it was wanting the web url. So guys, not a thread hijack, Jim asked for the PICS

Here's what I traded my Alfa in for

HPE built 427. Heads, cam intake and exhaust. 60th Anniversary 427 Roadster. Damn thing is CHEAPER to insure than my Alfa was !?!?
Old 06-05-2020, 03:35 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,126 Likes on 6,579 Posts

nice, there are times i miss my C6, but then i get in my C7 and that feeling goes away pretty quickly, one thing that will clean up the engine bay some would be Katech valve covers, with their coil relocation kit. if you do the pfadt alignment specs, it helps the car feel more planted

KBoltz (06-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 01:44 PM
Jim Stephens

Beautiful car and extremely clean for sure! Looks like it will be a blast to drive! Look at all that room to work in there compared to the Z. LOL

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 06-05-2020 at 01:46 PM.

Quick Reply: New to me (2005 Nissan 350z) Project Car