Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me (2005 Nissan 350z) Project Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 01:52 PM
KBoltz

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Stephens
Yes, I in no way, even pretend to think any of this is a "good investment" Let's just call it a good rationalization which can get you far! HaHa. It's just for fun really and nothing else. Like most hobbies.
It is a good investment. In time with your son. I was my son's Scoutmaster, shooting coach, and motorcycle riding buddy. He's almost 20 and in the Navy. I'd KILL to have some of that time back to spend with him.

Money is nothing compared to the time spent with your son. Nothing.

I've been deployed maybe 5 to 6 YEARS of my 18 year career. Made my family comfortable and we don't hurt for anything. But that time can NEVER be made up.

If your son has some skin in the game, time and money, then it's worth it.
The following users liked this post:
Jim Stephens (07-22-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 02:57 PM
Jim Stephens

Received 444 Likes on 294 Posts

Hey all, so this thread is quiet, because frankly there is not much happening. The car is running great and we have just been driving it. Got to run it in Autocross about a week ago with my son and that never gets old. Had a blast. I have a few parts that I might put on, but frankly I am waiting for Fall for any car projects as it is too damn hot! Still closely eyeing a Supercharger and just might do it in the fall. It makes no rational sense to do, but I like that it is a big hairy (for me) project my son and I could do together and it would be a good memory for us. A lot more fun doing that rather than just maintain and drive. Because I was bored for something, I did go ahead and buy new plastic switch trim pieces for the driver and passenger doors and installed them. No more painted plastic in the car. By the way, the passenger side trim piece is hard to find. Everyone says they have, they don't. Purchased it three times at different places and then cancelled the order because they did not have it in stock. The door cards are 2006-2008 even though the car is 2005. You pick up that extra cup holder in the door and a few minor other things.

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 08-17-2020 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:52 AM
Jim Stephens

Decided to finally install the Nismo coil springs this morning. Put in the rear coils today which went smoothly. The ride height was within an 1/8” of the OEM springs. Installed all new rubber as well. Took it out for a test drive and I really like the additional firmness, without any big increase in harshness. The front Coils will be more involved, but not a big deal. Super humid in Houston, so it’s like working in a Sauna.

KBoltz (09-09-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 01:05 PM
The_Laughing_Man

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey all, so this thread is quiet, because frankly there is not much happening. The car is running great and we have just been driving it. Got to run it in Autocross about a week ago with my son and that never gets old. Had a blast. I have a few parts that I might put on, but frankly I am waiting for Fall for any car projects as it is too damn hot! Still closely eyeing a Supercharger and just might do it in the fall. It makes no rational sense to do, but I like that it is a big hairy (for me) project my son and I could do together and it would be a good memory for us. A lot more fun doing that rather than just maintain and drive. Because I was bored for something, I did go ahead and buy new plastic switch trim pieces for the driver and passenger doors and installed them. No more painted plastic in the car. By the way, the passenger side trim piece is hard to find. Everyone says they have, they don't. Purchased it three times at different places and then cancelled the order because they did not have it in stock. The door cards are 2006-2008 even though the car is 2005. You pick up that extra cup holder in the door and a few minor other things.

I didn't know you could do that, is it a direct swap? Or is some modification needed?
Old 09-05-2020, 01:48 PM
Jim Stephens

Originally Posted by The_Laughing_Man
I didn't know you could do that, is it a direct swap? Or is some modification needed?
The previous owner did it. I have taken the door card off and on a few times with no issues. Everything clips in fine.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:39 PM
Jim Stephens

I got the front coil springs installed. I don’t care what they say, pulling those shocks out and changing out the coil springs is a project. Will test drive it tomorrow. Ride height stayed the same which is what I was looking for. Nismo coils now.

Update: Now that it is Monday and I am recovered, I will say my wife states I am never happier than when I am in the garage working ALL day on the car. LOL. The Texas heat and humidity makes it a great way to sweat off 3 or 4 lbs. LOL As I went to sleep last night I thought, hmm, forgot to torque the wheels down after I dropped the car off the jacks. Good thing I decided to wait before I took it out until today. Going to have the morning coffee, take care of some issue my son is having with his brand new school laptop, and then go for a drive. Will write up how the car feels with the change out. I enjoy changing one thing at a time and then seeing what the results are. I did have one stripped bolt for my cross member. I die and tap'd it and it as good as new. I must say, I find some type of small satisfaction in being able to clean up threads as it is a fairly new thing to me(last couple of years).

My neighbor just bought a Lotus Elise a few weeks ago used. Wow, that thing is so cool, with a nice blue paint job on it. Like a go kart with a blown motor and I mean that in complimentary way. He is in his mid-60's and loves working on his cars. He has to ease into the thing with his height and old joints, but I see him taking it out for test drives every few days as he works on it. Knowing him, every imperfection will be corrected and the car will be perfect when he is done. The car has a bunch of camber dialed in for track running. I will try and get a picture of it for fun. Just a cool car. He also has a Honda S2000 in there that I covet. I told him that he is running out of garage space and the Honda needs a new home next door where he can come visit. The car is pristine. He will not let go of it...LOL

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 09-07-2020 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:28 PM
Jim Stephens

Wow. This car is handling so much better with the new (to me) Nismo springs. The whole car feels better, flatter, and more precise when turning in. The other nice thing is I have not noticed a tremendous difference in ride quality. A bit firmer, like 10 percent or something, but very subtle difference. I think the progressive spring rates on the rear coils versus the OEM ones are making a difference when just going straight down the road. Really happy with this modification as the car just feels sharper. Almost like it used to wallow a bit in a turn now it does not. I did a little bit of weaving in a parking lot and I like the feel. This Sunday I will be running it Autocross with my son, so I will really get to see how it does on a course. Looking for to it!

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 09-08-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:45 AM
Jim Stephens

So, I have purchased a used Vortech supercharger V2 kit that is going to be removed this weekend and shipped to me. The nice thing is I got to see a video of it running in the car before it was pulled out. The owner is going to a built motor with twin turbo's as I understand it. So, I need to start rounding up parts for the fuel and tuning software etc. I have really not decided if I am going to install this myself or not at this point. Seems a bit overwhelming at first, but then I look through it all and think, well except for the tune, it is just bolting and piecing it all together, which is a lot of work time wise, but somewhat straightforward.? Still pondering it. Could be a fun project for my son and I or the worst train wreck ever. LOL

So, lots of questions to come as I go and pictures will start when I receive the supercharger. Looking at the kit sold at Z1 that is complete I can see the list of parts I will need. Trying to see if I can get this done on a reasonable budget, but if I get in a bind I can spend the money to get through it. So, fuel injectors new are quite expensive. I see on the Z1 get they are showing 600cc Injectors. So, I have seen many people upgraded to 1000cc plus injectors etc. and selling injectors in the 600cc range so, I am thinking I could find some used ones at a decent price without too much wear. I am guessing they are going turbo a with much bigger HP goals than me? I really am looking to do something in the 350hp - 400hp range as that is what I read is the sweet spot before you bend the rods etc. By the way, if I were to have something catastrophic happen to the engine I am mentally and financially prepared to deal with that. LOL

So any advice on injectors is welcome or anything related as I gather up parts.

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 09-17-2020 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:54 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,126 Likes on 6,579 Posts

you are going to be grinning ear to ear. i would think you and your son can get it installed, but worst case i am sure there is someone down there that can assist

when it comes to tuning, if it were me i would trailer it to austin and let uprev do it
Old 09-17-2020, 10:57 AM
Jim Stephens

Originally Posted by travlee
you are going to be grinning ear to ear. i would think you and your son can get it installed, but worst case i am sure there is someone down there that can assist

when it comes to tuning, if it were me i would trailer it to austin and let uprev do it
This is news I can use. So UpRev is located in Austin or is just a tuner who is really good at it?
Old 09-17-2020, 11:06 AM
travlee
Master

they are based out of austin

Last edited by travlee; 09-17-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:11 AM
GreyZ

Received 174 Likes on 130 Posts

So, I have purchased a used Vortech supercharger V2 kit that is going to be removed this weekend and shipped to me. The nice thing is I got to see a video of it running in the car before it was pulled out. The owner is going to a built motor with twin turbo's as I understand it. So, I need to start rounding up parts for the fuel and tuning software etc. I have really not decided if I am going to install this myself or not at this point. Seems a bit overwhelming at first, but then I look through it all and think, well except for the tune, it is just bolting and piecing it all together, which is a lot of work time wise, but somewhat straightforward.? Still pondering it. Could be a fun project for my son and I or the worst train wreck ever. LOL

So, lots of questions to come as I go and pictures will start when I receive the supercharger. Looking at the kit sold at Z1 that is complete I can see the list of parts I will need. Trying to see if I can get this done on a reasonable budget, but if I get in a bind I can spend the money to get through it. So, fuel injectors new are quite expensive. I see on the Z1 get they are showing 600cc Injectors. So, I have seen many people upgraded to 1000cc plus injectors etc. and selling injectors in the 600cc range so, I am thinking I could find some used ones at a decent price without too much wear. I am guessing they are going turbo a with much bigger HP goals than me? I really am looking to do something in the 350hp - 400hp range as that is what I read is the sweet spot before you bend the rods etc. By the way, if I were to have something catastrophic happen to the engine I am mentally and financially prepared to deal with that. LOL

So any advice on injectors is welcome or anything related as I gather up parts.
Boost is lovely. I did a turbo install earlier this year and talked alot about the process in a build thread on here, including the fueling. I did a 340lph pump in the stock basket without too much issues and discussed that process. I have 750cc injectors and am at around 88% cycle on 93. I wouldn't go smaller than a 750cc injector, especially if you ever consider doing e85. If you have e85 easily available (should be easy to find in Houston) I would at least build with that in mind.

As far as tuning, I would go to Austin for Uprev. There is also a tuner that shares a shop with uprev named Badabe Performance that I have heard very good things about.

You can absolutely do this yourself in your garage, and it makes it easier to trouble shoot should stuff come up later. I forget if you have done a clutch yet, but I would strongly consider adding a larger radiator, oil cooler, and clutch also. Guages and boost control were also something that you have to remember. At a minimum you will need a boost guage that you can plug into a computer and log, along with another O2 sensor since the stock ones get less accurate at the rich conditions run under boost. I have had good luck with the AEM boost/wideband failsafe guage. Let me know if you have any questions. Ill also be at MSR in November at the Lemons Race with Donnie if you have any interest in riding in a boosted Z or checking stuff out.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:50 AM
Jim Stephens

Hey thanks. I will be asking 100 questions unfortunately as I gather up the parts and thanks for the information. I had planned on an oil cooler and was thinking about the larger radiator (Brand?). The clutch got replaced by the previous owner with a non-oem type 20k miles ago, single mass flywheel, but not much more information that that on the receipt other than the work done at Christian Brothers Garage. I have a feeling I will need a new one. Thanks on the injectors recommendation. I am going to slowly accumulate the parts here over the next 60 days, so I lose track of what I spent. LOL.

I know this is waaay down the road, but is there a way to get a basic enough tune on the car from my house to be able to drive it up to Austin for the final tune?

I was going to ask you about Donnie, that's great. Donnie has been trying to recruit me to drive in Lemons Race for some time now. I am inching towards doing it and getting into racing at some point, just need to find the time to go get some basic driver training on the track to get started. Life is still pretty busy, but my daughter just left for college this year, so now it's just my son, so it is getting a little easier. Hopefully you or Donnie will shoot me a note when November comes and I will come out and visit. Absolutely, would like to go for ride if possible.

I will look up your thread and read through it, thanks.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:10 AM
travlee
Master

call up uprev to see if they can do a remote tune so that you can drive it there for a final one
Old 09-18-2020, 12:33 PM
GreyZ

Hey thanks. I will be asking 100 questions unfortunately as I gather up the parts and thanks for the information. I had planned on an oil cooler and was thinking about the larger radiator (Brand?). The clutch got replaced by the previous owner with a non-oem type 20k miles ago, single mass flywheel, but not much more information that that on the receipt other than the work done at Christian Brothers Garage. I have a feeling I will need a new one. Thanks on the injectors recommendation. I am going to slowly accumulate the parts here over the next 60 days, so I lose track of what I spent. LOL.
I did a clutch for mine right before the turbo install, and putting the transmission back on was the most challenging part of the whole forced induction process. Stabbing the trans back in is the worst part.

I know this is waaay down the road, but is there a way to get a basic enough tune on the car from my house to be able to drive it up to Austin for the final tune?

I was going to ask you about Donnie, that's great. Donnie has been trying to recruit me to drive in Lemons Race for some time now. I am inching towards doing it and getting into racing at some point, just need to find the time to go get some basic driver training on the track to get started. Life is still pretty busy, but my daughter just left for college this year, so now it's just my son, so it is getting a little easier. Hopefully you or Donnie will shoot me a note when November comes and I will come out and visit. Absolutely, would like to go for ride if possible.

I will look up your thread and read through it, thanks.
Yes, most tuners should be able to get you a basic tune that can be driven on to get to the dyno. Especially with such a popular kit. Talk to them and make sure.

Lemons is fantastic. I kind of brush off some of the goofyness of it, but its a really cheap way to get wheel to wheel time and gives a reason to spend a weekend with buddies a few times a year.

Old 09-19-2020, 05:54 AM
Jim Stephens

And so begins the parts round up. So far I have the items in the cart as shown in the picture. Please let me know if you have any opinions. I am taking the advice offered so far and building it with the option for E85 fuel down the road. Few basic questions:
1. Fuel injectors; It costs no more money really to go up from 750cc to 1000cc should I? Is the size of the injector mostly just about top end flow rate so really this is just about capacity more than anything? So buying a larger injector has no downside if the same price?
2. Fuel Pump: Look ok to you guys? I was thinking the first thing I would do is just install the new fuel pump with the engine as it sits today. Then test that out. This should be no problem at all correct?
3. Oil Cooler: Setrab core with the wrap and thermostat.
4. I am guessing I will need some oil lines and fittings for the in/out on the supercharger if the guy did not included the lines and fittings. What size lines and type? I saw I that Vortech might have "kits" parts I can buy for this purpose, but have not found where you can buy it.
5. Still studying radiators. What do you think of the CSF radiator? Do I need aftermarket fans? See video...
6. Exhaust I have a brand new cat-back Nismo S-tune Exhaust installed. https://www.z1motorsports.com/exhaus...m-p-12120.html So, my goal is to get a more free exhaust flow, BUT I do not want any lights on in the dash during normal operation and I want to keep the sound level as low as reasonable. I am guessing a I need a new Y-pipe (Brand?) and High Flow Cats?? Open to any suggestions on this arrangement. Just keep in mind 56 year old noise level(not 17), no warning lights.
7. Not pictured, but will order the 1 step colder spark plugs, Mass Airflow Sensor as well.

I will take a look at the gauges needed. I really want to keep a clean OEM look to the car and do not want the column gauge arrangement. I am ok with mounting some gauges in the center cubby location though. I guess would like to know Oil Temp and Boost. Anything else I should be thinking of monitoring? There is some likely-hood the car will see track time down the road, but initially just running Autocross and street.

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 09-19-2020 at 06:37 AM.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:39 AM
GreyZ

And so begins the parts round up. So far I have the items in the cart as shown in the picture. Please let me know if you have any opinions. I am taking the advice offered so far and building it with the option for E85 fuel down the road. Few basic questions:
1. Fuel injectors; It costs no more money really to go up from 750cc to 1000cc should I? Is the size of the injector mostly just about top end flow rate so really this is just about capacity more than anything? So buying a larger injector has no downside if the same price?
2. Fuel Pump: Look ok to you guys? I was thinking the first thing I would do is just install the new fuel pump with the engine as it sits today. Then test that out. This should be no problem at all correct?
3. Oil Cooler: Setrab core with the wrap and thermostat.
4. I am guessing I will need some oil lines and fittings for the in/out on the supercharger if the guy did not included the lines and fittings. What size lines and type? I saw I that Vortech might have "kits" parts I can buy for this purpose, but have not found where you can buy it.
5. Still studying radiators. What do you think of the CSF radiator? Do I need aftermarket fans? See video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1QUPL_V0sI
6. Exhaust I have a brand new cat-back Nismo S-tune Exhaust installed. https://www.z1motorsports.com/exhaus...m-p-12120.html So, my goal is to get a more free exhaust flow, BUT I do not want any lights on in the dash during normal operation and I want to keep the sound level as low as reasonable. I am guessing a I need a new Y-pipe (Brand?) and High Flow Cats?? Open to any suggestions on this arrangement. Just keep in mind 56 year old noise level(not 17), no warning lights.
7. Not pictured, but will order the 1 step colder spark plugs, Mass Airflow Sensor as well.

I will take a look at the gauges needed. I really want to keep a clean OEM look to the car and do not want the column gauge arrangement. I am ok with mounting some gauges in the center cubby location though. I guess would like to know Oil Temp and Boost. Anything else I should be thinking of monitoring? There is some likely-hood the car will see track time down the road, but initially just running Autocross and street.

750cc will get close to maxed out around 520hp on gas or 450hp on e85. If 1000 is nearly the same price then that is not a bad idea. You should still be able to get a good idle on 1000cc.

From my understanding, the vortech uses self contained oil, so you don’t necessarily need the oil pan spacer, or extra lines.

You will need to drill the venturis on the fuel basket, and trim the pump legs, but its pretty easy. CJM has a good write up that I used but with different drill sizes. I outlined my clacs for the drill size in my thread and has worked fine.

A tune will eliminate any codes that would show up from test pipes, but for your application I would probably go with high flow cats and a y pipe.

For the intake, I would recommend stepping up to a larger intake diameter, and keeping the stock maf.

The tune cable will let you monitor oil temp, unless you want a gauge to always be able to watch it.

I have a AEM afr and boost combined gauge in my cubby that I really like. It looks clean and fits along with my boost controller in the cubby.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:38 AM
Jim Stephens

Doing some more reading this morning. So,first of all for fun I have attached the video of the Supercharger I am getting. The guy pulled it working out of his Z to ship to me, so he shot a video of it installed and humming along. He is going to a twin turbo set up. Still debating whether I want to replace the radiator, y-pipe and cats right away or do those later just to make the project size(cost) more manageable. I could just put in the Supercharger, plugs, Fuel pump, UPRev, Oil Cooler and tune it for now. Then at a later point mess with the radiator and exhaust upgrades. Just looking to perhaps spread the spend out over 2 phases. I will not be tracking the car anytime soon, but will run it in autocross once a month. Just thinking out loud on this as I create the parts list etc.

I do have question about the noise level with high flow Cats and new y-pipe. I get that it will change and probably be louder. The question is how much? Incremental or a LOT? Remember, I will still be using my Nismo-S cat back exhaust as already described.

The V2 vortech supecharger needs an oil feed the V3 version is self contained. Vortech still sells both kits and recommends the V2 still for track use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMDr...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 09-20-2020 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:19 AM
GreyZ

The stock rad is probably fine without track use. The install would be easier to do during the install though when the front bumper is already off.

Stock cats and y pipe can stay for now, but would probably need to do a couple logs if/when you change them in the future for your tuner to double check. The supercharger will shorten the life of the cats with the rich conditions in boost.

That is cool that the v2 is oil fed. I did not know that. It probably Tees off of the stock oil pressure sensor feed. Be super careful retightening that. Barely over finger tight with liquid thread sealant. And you'll need the pan spacer.
Jim Stephens (09-20-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 05:14 PM
Jim Stephens

OK, I have been working up a list of EVERYTHING. This includes Oil Cooler, Radiator,HF cats, y-pipe, uprev, Injectors, Fuel etc. I am at $3,409 at Concept Z and about $3,788 at Z1. Whew. So that would put me at $6,409 best case Total Cost so far without tune and misc nuts and bolts.

Some major cost items beyond the supercharger are:
1. Fuel Injectors (750cc to 1000cc) $600 - $640
2. Oil Cooler 34 row kit Setrab $599 - $650
3. High flow Cats $400 - $430
4. Y pipe (Nismo) $400 - $440
5. Uprev $550

So these 5 items have the best opportunity to save money on. They represent $2550 of cost on the low end pricing as I have listed. Thinking I start looking at the used marked for the exhaust parts as they pose little risk so long as a good brand. I am seeing some wild swings in injector costs. Pretty scary from like nothing on ebay to a lot. The idea of installing something cheap that feeds the fuel to the engine sounds pretty crazy.

Now that I have my list, I will probably start looking around facebook etc. to see what deals are out there. I am looking for good quality stuff that works, but it does not have to be the high end of everything either.

Oh yeah and then there is the clutch. I have an aftermarket clutch from the previous owner in there already, but no idea of the quality, so that might be on my list pretty quickly!

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 09-20-2020 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply: New to me (2005 Nissan 350z) Project Car