Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spec D headlights huge issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 10:06 PM
Spinnitt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec D headlights huge issue

Recently tried to switch over to new headlights for my 06 350. After getting the switch started they claim to be plug and play. I plug them in but they did not play right. I知 getting hyper flashing from the turn signal, no real way to fix it due to the fact that I致e learned that there is no relay and the turn signals are controlled by the body control module. I have removed the entire wiring harness from the other OEM. When I plug them in and put on the turn signals and everything works just fine. Even when I control the Headlight turn signal (via relay) the rear turn signal still hyper flashes. I知 just wondering if I知 going to have to put resistors on every single light in the car? Is there something in the wiring harness that I missing. And reaching anyone at Pec D has been almost impossible.

Anyone out there that could help I would really appreciate it my car is in complete shambles right now and I want to get it back on the road.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:59 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,096 Likes on 776 Posts

Hyper flashing from the turn signals is a "bulb out" warning whenever the BCM detects a drop in load from the OEM filament bulbs. If you installed LED turn signals, this causes hyper flashing since they operate off a lower load.

You can install the OEM type filament based bulbs to see if that fixes it or load resistors. Resistors should not be necessary if you're not using LEDs.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:16 AM
Spinnitt

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Hyper flashing from the turn signals is a "bulb out" warning whenever the BCM detects a drop in load from the OEM filament bulbs. If you installed LED turn signals, this causes hyper flashing since they operate off a lower load.

You can install the OEM type filament based bulbs to see if that fixes it or load resistors. Resistors should not be necessary if you're not using LEDs.
I will go a little further. The original headlights Have a filament bulb and they also have three small LED bulb. Along with a small 194 accent bulb right next to the headlight. I'm not sure if these are all factors. The new headlights from spec D have a filament bulb and the same spot as the turn sign type of filament bulb. Accent LEDs. The only thing they are missing is the 194 bulb that the old headlights have. No bulbs are out everything is good. I even inserted the old bulbs in the new units. As soon as I remove the old headlights and just simply put in the old harnesses. The turn signals go back to regular flashing. Does anyone know if the old harnesses have built in resistors or something that I'm missing because none of this makes any sense. Again all the bulbs are good old ones and new ones and everything is legit the same. Something is telling the BCM that there's been a drop in current. I can't really send a video I would love to because I'm telling you I can't find an answer for this question. Thanks for your reply.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:31 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

The BCM is detecting a bulb out. It's that simple. If you wire a low ohm, high current resistor to simulate a current drain, it should correct the issue. Negates the energy efficiency of LEDs but not sure there's any workaround for the hyperflashing otherwise...
Old 10-13-2020, 05:55 AM
Spinnitt

Originally Posted by rcdash
The BCM is detecting a bulb out. It's that simple. If you wire a low ohm, high current resistor to simulate a current drain, it should correct the issue. Negates the energy efficiency of LEDs but not sure there's any workaround for the hyperflashing otherwise...
So So my next question would be should I just put it on the front to turn signals. Or all the sudden do I have to do all of the turn signals? Or am I just going to process of elimination and do the first two and see if I got to do all of them? .. I've been at this for 2 days I'm exhausted.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:36 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

Or ditch the ebay quality headlights for some Depo ones and call it a day. Won't hurt your light output either.
The following 2 users liked this post by DarkZ03:
MicVelo (10-15-2020), terrasmak (05-18-2021)
Old 10-14-2020, 03:32 AM
Heel Til I Die

The OEM harness does not have built-in resistors. I'm guessing there is some incorrect wiring somewhere. The missing 194 parking light bulb will not cause the turn signals to hyperflash.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:34 AM
Spinnitt

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
Or ditch the ebay quality headlights for some Depo ones and call it a day. Won't hurt your light output either.
Overall the quality of the product isn't bad. . As per instructions and hook up they need refined. I went ahead and got some resistors and the problem was solved. In the midst of all this, I also back lit the z emblems And made them side markers and turn signals. Even though there was no led bulbs involved in the beginning and no bulbs out, I was still getting the hyperflash. My theory is with these headlights is that, they appear to have a small resistor set up inside the headlight for the led running lights. This is what I believe was causing the confusion with the BCM. I'm guessing the spec d lights are newer as I don't see many reviews on any of the sights. I'm going to ride these out for a bit and they look great. I will check back after I have had them a while. Thanks for the responses very much appreciated as it was a little nerving to figure out. Just a few more things to put back together. Just in time to put it up for the winter. 😂..

Last edited by Spinnitt; 10-14-2020 at 03:36 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:04 PM
DarkZ03

My point was most people UPGRADE to the 06+ because they are the best, you are taking them off lol.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:41 PM
Spinnitt

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
My point was most people UPGRADE to the 06+ because they are the best, you are taking them off lol.
Yes, but honestly they are faded one is really yellow chipping on inside. I have been restoring then reach year. Just done with the maintenance that's all.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:35 AM
Heel Til I Die

The spec D lights have been out for a while. You don't see a lot of reviews of them because they're not very popular. Sure, the L-shaped LED looks cool and all, but the output will be less than your 06 bi-xenon OEM lights as Dark previously mentioned.

But hey, it's your dime so do what you like. Good to post this in case others have similar issues in the future.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:57 AM
Spinnitt

Default I would like to know how the output is less?

The spec D lights have been out for a while. You don't see a lot of reviews of them because they're not very popular. Sure, the L-shaped LED looks cool and all, but the output will be less than your 06 bi-xenon OEM lights as Dark previously mentioned.

But hey, it's your dime so do what you like. Good to post this in case others have similar issues in the future.
If you are using the same ballast and bulb how can the output be less? I basically just changed the casing and added brighter led lights. The fitment is excellent that was never an issue. Changing over from crappy yellow lenses I don't see being worse. The main issue was just hyper flash which was a 15 dollar solution. I just think they need to go a little deeper with their setup and solve a few bugs. I am willing to see how long they last. Ib have had the car a 4 years I working on the cosmetic this year getting a few more miles than going to performance and engine. Etc. Just really hoping to get a little help and info around in here but so far it's more of a condescending tone I'm receiving from people. No worries though. Problem solved and moving on the next issue..

Last edited by Spinnitt; 10-15-2020 at 04:58 AM.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:16 AM
Heel Til I Die

Originally Posted by Spinnitt
If you are using the same ballast and bulb how can the output be less? I basically just changed the casing and added brighter led lights. The fitment is excellent that was never an issue. Changing over from crappy yellow lenses I don't see being worse. The main issue was just hyper flash which was a 15 dollar solution. I just think they need to go a little deeper with their setup and solve a few bugs. I am willing to see how long they last. Ib have had the car a 4 years I working on the cosmetic this year getting a few more miles than going to performance and engine. Etc. Just really hoping to get a little help and info around in here but so far it's more of a condescending tone I'm receiving from people. No worries though. Problem solved and moving on the next issue..

Light output is not just determined by the ballast and the bulb. The '06+ projector and reflector bowl focuses the beam output and spread pattern producing more useable light. The lens of the projector also affects the light output. For example, you can see the difference between a fresnel lens and a smooth lens where a fresnel lens makes a more narrow beam and a smooth lens spreads it more evenly. There are plenty of comparisons between different projectors that are available from The Retrofit Source which show different cutoffs, hotspots, and beam patterns while they all use the same HID bulb and ballast. All projectors are not created equal.

Old 10-15-2020, 03:55 PM
DarkZ03

Not condescending, just hate to see someone downgrade. Most people in your case would just open the lights up, customize and replace the lenses.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:11 AM
Apply Pressure

Having a problem in a similar area. You said that the turn signals do not have relays but then said shortly after that you controlled the turn signal via relay. I've been trying to figure out the location of the turn signal relays, if you could give me some more insight on that.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:17 AM
Heel Til I Die

Originally Posted by Apply Pressure
Having a problem in a similar area. You said that the turn signals do not have relays but then said shortly after that you controlled the turn signal via relay. I've been trying to figure out the location of the turn signal relays, if you could give me some more insight on that.
The turn signals are controlled by the BCM. Trim signal relays disappeared in the mid 2000s.

The solution was previously posted by OP using resistors (not relays) for the LED turn signals to stop the hyperflash.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:36 PM
M.e. Lui

Originally Posted by Spinnitt
Can you post a how to on where you connected the resistor/relay as I'm having the same issues right now? Thanks
Old 06-29-2021, 01:28 PM
Heel Til I Die

Originally Posted by M.e. Lui
Can you post a how to on where you connected the resistor/relay as I'm having the same issues right now? Thanks
Pretty simple - just splice in the resistor between the power and ground for the turn signal wires.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:36 PM
Apply Pressure

The turn signals are controlled by the BCM. Trim signal relays disappeared in the mid 2000s.

The solution was previously posted by OP using resistors (not relays) for the LED turn signals to stop the hyperflash.
It was happening with the stock headlights before I upgraded to LED, there is not flash on the front right turn signal no matter what I put on the wires. The wires are all testing the same as the other side and the blinker light even lights up but never flashes. Has to be the BCM then I'm guessing, haven't had the money to put into the car lately :/
Old 07-08-2021, 02:17 PM
Heel Til I Die

Originally Posted by Apply Pressure
It was happening with the stock headlights before I upgraded to LED, there is not flash on the front right turn signal no matter what I put on the wires. The wires are all testing the same as the other side and the blinker light even lights up but never flashes. Has to be the BCM then I'm guessing, haven't had the money to put into the car lately :/
If you're getting constant power to it, you could always wire in an old school flasher to make it blink, but I'm not sure how well that would work out.

Quick Reply: Spec D headlights huge issue