Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know a place to paint+install a wing in Chcgo area?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 06:31 AM
Zealous1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know a place to paint+install a wing in Chcgo area?

I just got my Stillen Type 1 wing from Ultimate Z and now I'm looking for someone to paint and install it.

Took it to some shop my dad knew, but the guy didn't look to confident about the installation, so I backed out right away. So then I called another local autobody shop, Gerber, and they said they wouldn't do it.

Ultimate Z offered to paint and install it for $250. Anyone have experience with their body work? I would also like to shop around and get a couple different estimates and see what they would do.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:37 PM
sschmuve

You were lucky they quoted you $250. Ultimate Z is painting and installing my Vizage wing for about $400. I'm getting the big BONE. But, maybe you should have them do it. You can run into problems of the paint not matching at some other places.

BTW..How is the qualtity of that wing? Does it need a lot of prep work?
Old 03-11-2004, 06:35 PM
hatuma

Default Re: Anyone know a place to paint+install a wing in Chcgo area?

Originally posted by Zealous1
I just got my Stillen Type 1 wing from Ultimate Z and now I'm looking for someone to paint and install it.

Took it to some shop my dad knew, but the guy didn't look to confident about the installation, so I backed out right away. So then I called another local autobody shop, Gerber, and they said they wouldn't do it.

Ultimate Z offered to paint and install it for $250. Anyone have experience with their body work? I would also like to shop around and get a couple different estimates and see what they would do.

I had a accident with car that was extensive and they painted alot of my car and they did an excellent job. Although the front lip of the grill has a little peeling that I just noticed the other day, and I will be going back there to get it fixed, they did an excellent job. I do not really know how much it cost because my insurance company paid for it, but they did a good job. I also got my door repainted there because somebody keyed the crap out of it. They did it for $200 and it was realy good. All in all they are not bad at all, and they are not too expensive.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:02 PM
kernel

I have had all my body work done here

ADVANCED AUTO BODY
2541 N CICERO AVE, CHICAGO, IL 60639
Phone: (773) 278-6663

the place had replaced pretty much the whole back end of my car after getting rear ended. when i showed it to nissan service reps they couldn't even tell that anything had been done to the car at all. the paint was prefect and the owner of the place is a really helpful guy. i have a full vizage body kit plus wing and borla exhaust being put on there. i don't know the price of it cause he just rolled it into my insurance claim. but i had a big dent in the dirvers side rear fender and hes pulling it out for 250 so that isn't to bad.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:49 PM
Zealous1

Thanks for the info everyone!!

I decided to go with Ultimate Z because they offered a decent price and they're experienced with painting and installing this wing. Plus close to home. I called Car Boutique, but they're overpriced IMO.

hatuma - thanks for your input. I assume you were talking about Ultimate Z. Let us know how they handle your lip peeling incident. I'm sure all of us would be interested to see how they handle problems after the fact.

sschmuve - You're right, Ultimate Z will definitely get the paint right. They made me feel comfortable with the whole prep and install. They originally charged me for 3 bills, but I was able to talk them down to $250. Your wing is more complex and has more surface area, so I understand the higher price, but maybe you can talk them down to $350. I can't really say for sure, but I don't think a lot of prep work needs to be done for my wing (instructions say to scrub or sand it before painting). As for the quality of the wing, it's molded very well, no inconsistencies. I know it's ureythane, but just seems flimsy and I'm a bit worried about how well it will mount. It is only 4 small screws and 3M adhesive that holds it down (that scared away the original shop I was gonna take it to) But I keep telling myself that most people on forum haven't had mounting problems. It seems, based on the way you mount it, if someone really wanted to, they could just rip the wing right off. That's just me being paranoid
Old 03-12-2004, 03:41 AM
sschmuve

Yeah, mine has 4 screws and tape too. I'm also a little worried of vandalism, but oh well. When are they installing it? Post pics!
Old 03-18-2004, 05:00 PM
Zealous1

Originally posted by sschmuve
Yeah, mine has 4 screws and tape too. I'm also a little worried of vandalism, but oh well. When are they installing it? Post pics!
Hey sschmuve

Sorry bout the late reply, been outta town. I'm getting the wing installed tomorrow @Ultimate Z. I'll post pics within the next week. When do you plan to get your wing installed? They still charging you 4 bills for the install?
Old 03-18-2004, 06:07 PM
sschmuve

Just had it installed yesterday. They wouldn't come down off the $400. I used your quote as an example, but he said the two wings are apples and oranges. He said mine is fiberglass that required a lot of work. The install takes longer due to the 4 holes that need to be drilled. Chris said the Stillen only uses tape, and doesn't require as much prepping, thus cheaper.

The finish of my Vizage has some imperfections, and some wavyness to it. But over all, I like it. I don't plan on entering any contests or anything. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Last edited by sschmuve; 03-18-2004 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:50 PM
hatuma

Originally posted by Zealous1
Thanks for the info everyone!!

I decided to go with Ultimate Z because they offered a decent price and they're experienced with painting and installing this wing. Plus close to home. I called Car Boutique, but they're overpriced IMO.

hatuma - thanks for your input. I assume you were talking about Ultimate Z. Let us know how they handle your lip peeling incident. I'm sure all of us would be interested to see how they handle problems after the fact.

sschmuve - You're right, Ultimate Z will definitely get the paint right. They made me feel comfortable with the whole prep and install. They originally charged me for 3 bills, but I was able to talk them down to $250. Your wing is more complex and has more surface area, so I understand the higher price, but maybe you can talk them down to $350. I can't really say for sure, but I don't think a lot of prep work needs to be done for my wing (instructions say to scrub or sand it before painting). As for the quality of the wing, it's molded very well, no inconsistencies. I know it's ureythane, but just seems flimsy and I'm a bit worried about how well it will mount. It is only 4 small screws and 3M adhesive that holds it down (that scared away the original shop I was gonna take it to) But I keep telling myself that most people on forum haven't had mounting problems. It seems, based on the way you mount it, if someone really wanted to, they could just rip the wing right off. That's just me being paranoid

Yeah sorry about that I was talking about Ultimate Z. I will let you know how it goes with front Lip.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:17 AM
Zealous1

Originally posted by hatuma
Yeah sorry about that I was talking about Ultimate Z. I will let you know how it goes with front Lip.
Thanks hatuma.

sschmuve - my wing also requires to drill 4 holes for the screws. Makes me wonder if Ultimate Z just plans to use the adhesive to mount my wing. They said it should only take about an hour and a half to install it. Seems a little too quick of an install. I'll have to talk to them before they mount it today.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:58 AM
KraftG35

Where is Ultimate Z located in Chicago?
Old 03-19-2004, 12:03 PM
sschmuve

In the western burbs...Streamwood.

www.UltimateZ.com
Old 03-21-2004, 03:31 PM
Zealous1

Hey sschmuve

I got my wing installed yesterday. It needs to be polished and waxed because there's still some haziness from the wet sanding done at Ultimate Z. I'll post pics when the wing's done curing.

Do you happend to live off of Winston, in Palatine?