Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urethane Veilside lip - unpainted

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 11:22 AM
shaneotool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Urethane Veilside lip - unpainted

I smashed my Veilside V1 carbonfiber lip and need a replacement. I was thinking of going with urethane and leaving it unpainted. Has anybody done this? You think this would look OK, or like an unpainted body kit?

My car is silverstone with gunmetal wheels and tint. I like the contrast provided with the carbon fiber lip. I'm thinking the urethane would look about the same - only cheaper.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:38 AM
ZISBAK

That is so funny!! I was just about to post the same thing on my new urethane V1 lip too. I'm trying to decide whether to paint my or leave it as it is as well! I'm also trying to decide whether to get a custom splitters for the rear end of the side skirt or replica Nismo side skirt like Bat's? Here is a pic of mine, I still used the Grille-tech grill, since that is one plus thing that's helping me avoiding bugs destroy my Radiator. I've also find some metal plates to custom fabricate some clips for the grill...
Attached Thumbnails Urethane Veilside lip - unpainted-picture-002.jpg  
Old 04-30-2004, 12:05 PM
zeroday

Default Re: Urethane Veilside lip - unpainted

Originally posted by shaneotool
I smashed my Veilside V1 carbonfiber lip and need a replacement. I was thinking of going with urethane and leaving it unpainted. Has anybody done this? You think this would look OK, or like an unpainted body kit?

My car is silverstone with gunmetal wheels and tint. I like the contrast provided with the carbon fiber lip. I'm thinking the urethane would look about the same - only cheaper.
hey shane; did it scrape the hell out of your bumper cover when you smashed it? I've already scraped the bottom of my cf v1 on a curb and when it happened it moved up about an inch on my bumper cover and scraped it up. all in all im not real impressed with veilside's design...cracking..scraping etc.

i also thought about doing the unpainted urethane...but thought it would look a bit dull...and wouldn't match silverstone quite as well..but it might be a worthwhile compromise not having to worry about f'ing it up all the time. i'd be really interested in seeing what yours looks like if you go this route.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:46 PM
shaneotool

ZISBACK - I think that looks pretty good. Are those fog light behind the grill?

zeroday - I left the parking brake off at the gas station and my car slowly rolled away while I was inside the store. It hit a pole and half of the lip broke right off. The bumper cover got busted up too.
I kind of like how the urethane is darker than the silverstone color. everything on my car theme seems to be different shades of grey anyway. It does look like it has a duller finish when compared to the CF one though.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:13 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

I think you guys should paint it. Either paint it or leave it like Bat's style, paint just the sides.. but don't leave it all unpainted.

Last edited by Apexi350z; 04-30-2004 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:15 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

.Here is mine, just installed it two days ago....painted of course..
Attached Thumbnails Urethane Veilside lip - unpainted-hl.jpg  
Old 04-30-2004, 08:30 PM
mgl

pls. paint it.

heres some pics of it unpainted on my z (also an ss)
looks 100x better when painted

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=49212

oh yeah the grille in those pics is for sale if anyone is interested.

Last edited by mgl; 04-30-2004 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:36 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the black urethane matches the black urethane center of the front bumper....

i have painted a couple now with the center black urethane and the out sides painted to match the car...

only problem i see...

my new price guide from VS does not have urethane on it... only CF and FRP or am i being really dumb and FRP is their way of saying Urethane... i dont think so i think it is Firber Reinforced Plastic? sorry im drawing a blank
Old 05-01-2004, 05:00 AM
Yancy

I think painted would look better than the flat looking black. Would clearcoat work over the urethane? If so, that might look good?

I have the fiberglass v1 on a chrome silver. However, before it got painted I test fit it to see how it looked. When taking it off, I must not have been careful enough and cracked the driver side of it where it wraps around the lower part of the bumper. The crack is verticle and about 1/4 or so of an inch. I showed the body shop that did the paint work, the siad they could fix it before paint, and I paid them to repair it before painting. It all looked good when I picked up the pieces yesterday. They repaired it from the inside, which I think was not good because it even made the fit tighter than it already was. Anyway, it went on well and looked great, until the crack just popped back into being. I think the pull on the lip (extra stess) must have pulled the repair apart. I hope there is a way a shop can fix this while the lip is on the car. I'm thinking that they could bondo it or whatever on the outside, then sand and repaint the area of the lip while its on my car.

Jason, if this can't be fixed, I'd be willing to pay you more than the asking price to get a new FRP one ASAP.
Old 05-01-2004, 07:08 AM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's mine.

Bat™