Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vertical Door install questions????

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 09:55 PM
MySunset350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your good dr bonz. i had mine welded on. NO rattle here. i think its actually a bit more sturdy and better supported that way.

still gotta be adjusted every now and then though. now way around that.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:53 AM
zzzya

I've been away on vacation for a bit, but must agree with mcduck that this kit turns heads and brings a lot of attention. I installed the kit in my garage by myself. It took me about 7-8 hours to install and it really is not as hard as some are commenting on. It does take time and if you have not taken apart the front end of the car before it may take you longer. I was very familiar with the front end of the car before going into this install. I have had the kit on for a few weeks now and no need to realign anything. If you do it right the first time, then you should be fine. The hydraulics do need some time to "break-in" and I had to really push down on the door when closing it at first, but now it is very minimal at most. I do not have any rattles and did not extend the wires. My biggest concern is that first motion when opening the door needs to be out just a touch and then things are ok, but if your passenger tries to go up right away it can hit the A pillar and put a dent in the door panel. I just remind people to push out like normal instead of trying to push up right away and things are fine. I took first place at my last car show, which was the first show with the doors on. Everyone was more interested in the doors than the bling bling engine bay. Well worth it for show, but if show is not your thing, spend the money on something else.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:26 AM
myGthang

Hey Mcduck, I'm still waiting on your write up on this!!!
Old 09-13-2004, 03:05 PM
tonester1011
CF God

Just started reading all this stuff that everyones been writin so i thought id join in. Ive had the vdc kit on my car for about 2 months now. Can tell u how many times people have had somethin to say about them and how awesome the doors look. Couldnt be more happy with how great they look. The only thing that aint to great is how the door wants to pop straight up and how i have to hold it down to close. I did notice however that on colder days it isnt as bad and hot days its crazy how it just shoots up. But i got it down perfect now and am used to it. Even my girlfriends closes the door like a pro. I did the install myself with one of my friends in my garage. It took a few late nights but im happy with the end result. If anyone was ever thinkin about doin these doors on their car but wasnt sure if they wanted to, seeing these in person would definitley change their mind. Theres nothin better than pullin up somewhere and already having everyone look at my car, but when i get out and let those doors go up....
Old 01-13-2005, 06:53 AM
Faluzure

Sorry for bringing up an old topic, but those of you who had yours installed, which kit did you use?

I noticed Dr. Bonz mention a decah kit and it isn't the same? The two kits I've seen were decah and EVO.

How much did it cost for the kit alone and then the install? If you had problems, did the shop charge you to come back and them work on it? It seems to me some of you guys had to wait weeks & time is money...
Old 01-13-2005, 07:56 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

http://www.carexcess.com/

Mine was installed by a "high-end" body shop that specialized in luxury cars. It was their first time installing this type of kit. They had to "figure" everything out and it took them 1 week to get it perfect.

I have had no problems since it was installed over 6 months ago.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:42 PM
GoldenBoy75

How much $$$ is this kind of work?
Old 07-18-2005, 04:59 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenBoy75
How much $$$ is this kind of work?
I paid about $500...but I had a rear spoiler painted too.

It is very difficult to align the door right. All the gaps need to be correct. Also, the door must match the front and rear panels, depth wise, exactly.

If the door is not hung right, you risk that the door will not close correctly and it might scratch your paint. Also, I have heard of instances where the "catch" or locking mechanism does not line up correctly.

To anyone considerng this mod, I would recommend that you find an EXPERIENCED installer. Hanging and aligning a door with this type of hinge is not a simple bolt-on. Yeh, you can do it (ask McDuck), but you must be very patient and somewhat experienced.

Read this long thread