Sponsored by:

Couple Q's about CF Hood Fitment...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 10:57 PM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Couple Q's about CF Hood Fitment...

Finally put on my VIS CF Hood tonight. Looks great. One thing though, it sits more to the right than center. I know aftermarket hoods aren't perfect, but is there anything I can do about this? I loosened the bolts a few times and retightened, but no luck. There isn't really any play either so there's really no way to adjust it?

Also I noticed, it doesn't have the rubber strip along the front of it. Can I get this at an auto parts store? How would I apply it? Any kind of glue? Your help is appreciated!

BTW, I really Love the hood. Just a bit nitpicky about things.

Bat™
Old 11-11-2004, 11:31 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andy you can drill the holes for the strip to fit BUT be carefull with the pressure you apply. The stock tabs will fit if you use the same size drill. The hood may take 2 people to line up correctly. I remember when we put mine I had to hold it while someone tightened down....let me know how it goes.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:38 PM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Ya, problem is with my VIS hood, there isn't any play if any for adjustment.

Bat™
Old 11-11-2004, 11:52 PM
DeeZee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the holes for the weather strip were already drilled in my seibon hood when i got it. but i had to redrill them to widen them enhuf for the stock clips to fit. use a pair of needle nose pliers, and pull off the stock weather strip carefuly. a new one is like $40 at the dealer i belive?? drilling should be easy enhuf. place the strip under the hood, line it up where it goes, then drill one of the center holes. then put that clip in, and work your way twards the outer edges one hole at a time. drill a hole, then put the clip in, and move on to the next hole. just DONT try to drill all the holes, then install the strip! it would be VERY hard to get perfect! you could try pulling all the clips out of the strip, holding it up to the hood, then marking all the holes? but i like the first idea better. just go SLOW! im sure you wont have any problems! im pretty sure you can adjust your hood into place perfectly as well. i had to mess with mine with 2 friends for an hour and a half or so! im pretty perticular as well!! o'yea......WHERE ARE THE PICS!!!!!
Old 11-12-2004, 12:10 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the hood has holes pre drilled but they are smaller so you must drill bigger ones for the correct size. We sized up the drill bit to the stock holes and then used that to increase the CF holes. The hood was not too hard to line up but get some help it makes it much easier. It does take a while to get it right as DeeZee said.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:24 AM
DeeZee

like i said, there were 3 of us! one on each side of the hood to raise it up slowly once we had it in place. then i reached under to tighten the bolts. it seemed like it took FOREVER!!! but its great now! if i was local, id come give ya a hand! im sure you will get it perfect!
Old 11-12-2004, 06:24 AM
zectasy

ive never put on a cf hood but if it fits goofy and i would get a friend then take it off completely and put it back on and see how it is..
Old 11-12-2004, 11:27 AM
eddie3782

My brother had the same problem with his VIS hood on his WRX when we tried to put it on. It was alittle more to the left side. So we took a drimmel and shaved the holes so that we could adjust the hood from side to side. It worked out to fit real good I think you sould try that.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:31 PM
spdu4ia

are you going to pin the hood bat? i cant decide if i want to ... i like the clean look without it but dont want to lose it either.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:19 AM
roark

Originally posted by spdu4ia
are you going to pin the hood bat? i cant decide if i want to ... i like the clean look without it but dont want to lose it either.
I always thought that the Mach 1 "twist lock" style pin would look great on an aftermarket Z hood, painted to match the door handles. You can get reproductions for about $90 each.
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

VIS hoods fit really nice and snug. I had one on my Celica drove from San Diego to Arizona several times at high speeds and windy conditions in the mountain passes, with no problems at all.

Bat™