Notices
Feedback & Suggestions for Our Forum This is NOT a place to ask car/modification questions!
For posting feedback, suggestions or comments regarding our My350Z.com forum.

A better search engine? Stop the complaints?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:12 AM
infiniteracing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vo7848
It's like cable TV, they let you taste digital cable for 49 bucks a month, but if you wanna see the good channels you gotta pony up the extra cash. That my friend, is good business sense. Unfortunately, this site isn't a free public service, or at least it isn't to some degree.
Then all the "experienced" people on this forum have no place to ***** when questions are reposted if there is no reasonable way to search for answer.

I think the memory issue would be cleared up if we replaced the memory used for all the Posts that say "try searching" with a good search engine.

And how are you supposed to know if you want to spend the money on a premier membership if you can't search to see how good the info is on this forum. Maybe one of the premier members should give up their lives and just sit around to use their "special search engine" to search topics for Noobs.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:18 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by infiniteracing
Then all the "experienced" people on this forum have no place to ***** when questions are reposted if there is no reasonable way to search for answer.

I think the memory issue would be cleared up if we replaced the memory used for all the Posts that say "try searching" with a good search engine.

And how are you supposed to know if you want to spend the money on a premier membership if you can't search to see how good the info is on this forum. Maybe one of the premier members should give up their lives and just sit around to use their "special search engine" to search topics for Noobs.
Meh, if I thought this post merited a response I'd probably give one. Let's keep this a mature conversation, no need degrade it.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:25 AM
infiniteracing

Meh, if I thought this post merited a response I'd probably give one. Let's keep this a mature conversation, no need degrade it.
Oh and the Noob remarks are mature? It's just frustrating not being able to find any informaton on a topic by searching so you make a post, which is what I thought these forums were for, and in the post the only response you get is "try searching"
Old 05-08-2007, 11:43 AM
VO...
Administrator

Oh and the Noob remarks are mature? It's just frustrating not being able to find any informaton on a topic by searching so you make a post, which is what I thought these forums were for, and in the post the only response you get is "try searching"
I understand the "noob & search" remarks are fustrating. I also know the fustration when ya need an answer and don't feel like cyphering through all the old threads to find the answer. But, I also know the fustration of seeing the answer to someone's question just posted yesterday or even a few threads below the one they've just started.

In all honestly, the reality of it is, the owners of the site are not here to proved valuable info to every man, woman, or child that buys a Z. They are here to make money. As said before, this site is not a public service, it is a business entity. I'll compare it to crack. The dope dealer sees a newcomer/1st timer, he gives him a taste, the kid gets hooked, and now wants more. The crack isn't free anymore. You want results, you gotta pay.

Sure, us old timers get tired and fuss at all the new guys for not searching and asking redundant questions. It is what it is, a vicious cycle. If you were in our shoes you'd feel the same. Believe me this topic has been covered numerous times.

Do us Premier Members have an advantage, damn right we do. We pay for it. Are we willing to degrade the meaning of a Premier Membership because a newcomer can't find the answers they need? Not likely to happen.

My opinion, join the club, pony up some cash for the membership. Give something back to site, in which you have graciously taken from. Life is not all about gimme gimme gimme, sometimes you have to give back.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:21 PM
gunslinger

Do us Premier Members have an advantage, damn right we do. We pay for it. Are we willing to degrade the meaning of a Premier Membership because a newcomer can't find the answers they need? Not likely to happen.
Great, but I did a search for 350z forums using google, found several but gravitated towards this one. Eventually decided to sign up and post. No where did a see anything about joining and paying. VERY few user groups and forums on the web require a paying membership. Most make there money on ads. Look at *review.com sites. They use the same vBulletin format as this site. You need to join, like I did, but not pay. The ones that do charge usually give "visiting" members very limited access. It's obvious they want you to pay to join.

As an old timer (literally) myself, if paying would also keep off the pimple faced kids and their smart **** remarks, I would pay. As it stands now, I wouldn't pay just to have access to a better search engine.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:05 PM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by gunslinger
As an old timer (literally) myself, if paying would also keep off the pimple faced kids and their smart **** remarks, I would pay. As it stands now, I wouldn't pay just to have access to a better search engine.
If this were possible, I'd be willing to pay alittle extra. Even with all the extra little drama, I'd end up being bored if there weren't any little pimpled face kids to poke fun at...

Originally Posted by gunslinger
As it stands now, I wouldn't pay just to have access to a better search engine.
Don't forget about the pr0n section, ability to have a custom avatar, larger PM box, and greater editing options.

Last edited by VO...; 05-08-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:03 PM
hardrock905

Doesn't quite work that way, but a nice thought.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:20 PM
LeMans 05

If this were possible, I'd be willing to pay alittle extra. Even with all the extra little drama, I'd end up being bored if there weren't any little pimpled face kids to poke fun at...

Don't forget about the pr0n section, ability to have a custom avatar, larger PM box, and greater editing options.
But here's the problem:
You can't go anywhere online without finding free pr0n, why pay for it, especially from a car forum site? If I was going to pay for it anywhere, it'd be from an established pr0n site. Custom avatar: Yeah, some of them are funny (that green furry thing), but who really cares? Larger PM box: while I'm not a massively active member, I haven't had problems with my PM box overflowing. I'm not a sponsor trying to sell something. Greater editing options: Wow. More smiley faces. Great.

I'm not trying to downgrade the benefits of being a PM, and will probably become one when I finally get around to getting internet at home (I moved, been lazy, and starting to realize I don't need the monthly bill), but the fact is, the search function for normal users is useless. Then you get these noobs asking the same q's over and over. I fully agree that the search function should be upgraded, and make this website a place where fellow Z fans can easliy get relevant information, as opposed to a community of smart alecs who think the .jpg of the kitten bitting the finger is still funny. If we are trying to promote the Z as a car for more mature people (as opposed to the RSX for example), and more specifically this site as a helpful one, then this will be an extremely beneficial upgrade.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:04 PM
GodZilla
Bad Mojo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, this is googles search, not sure if its any better.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ch&btnG=Search
Old 05-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Scarab440

6 posts, and already telling us how things should be ran..
Post count is not tied to intelligence he Is making good observations. And is trying to make things better.

A good search function shouldn't be this hard to get!
Old 05-08-2007, 04:53 PM
FairladyZ06

Agreed. I believe there needs to be a better search function as well. There are many Honda/Acura, Toyota, tuner forums that do not charge at all. I understand that premier members should receive more perks obviously because of their contribution. But IMHO, I think including a better search engine on the forum overall will reduce the tension between older and newer members. Less stupid threads, less flaming, and more answers to the questions you have.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:42 PM
gunslinger

Originally Posted by GodZilla
Hmm, this is googles search, not sure if its any better.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ch&btnG=Search

Sure it is, Just put quotes around "a better search" and only 1 (!) thread shows up; this one. Or if you don't know any of the nomenclature, use the advanced search mode.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:09 PM
mthreat

Let me make this clear. I am offering to make a search engine with search result quality comparable to google, with every posting from my350z ever. I will develop it for free, and I will host it, so it costs my350z.com nothing, but it improves the quality and usefulness of the site, the same way google improves the usefulness of the internet by making things findable. I have a domain name ready for this 350z-specific search site.

Admins: I have a live demo that I developed for another site, if you are interested AIM or PM me and you can test it out.

Google's "from this site" search doesn't work well at all for this site. To see why, go to google and search for site:my350z.com. See the number of results it shows for my350z.com? It says about 3200 results for me. Do you know how many threads and posts my350z.com has? According to the forums page:

Threads: 221,169, Posts: 3,396,352

At 30 posts per page, that is about 340,000 pages of postings, so google has less than ONE PERCENT of that.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:12 PM
mthreat

Let me add one comment - google has a relatively new feature called sitemaps (google for it), it lets webmasters provide google with a list of URLs to crawl, making it easier for google to crawl the site. This site could use sitemaps, and it would probably help a bit with the google search. better than nothing..
Old 05-08-2007, 08:28 PM
GodZilla
Bad Mojo

Originally Posted by mthreat
Let me make this clear. I am offering to make a search engine with search result quality comparable to google, with every posting from my350z ever. I will develop it for free, and I will host it, so it costs my350z.com nothing, but it improves the quality and usefulness of the site, the same way google improves the usefulness of the internet by making things findable. I have a domain name ready for this 350z-specific search site.

Admins: I have a live demo that I developed for another site, if you are interested AIM or PM me and you can test it out.

Google's "from this site" search doesn't work well at all for this site. To see why, go to google and search for site:my350z.com. See the number of results it shows for my350z.com? It says about 3200 results for me. Do you know how many threads and posts my350z.com has? According to the forums page:

Threads: 221,169, Posts: 3,396,352

At 30 posts per page, that is about 340,000 pages of postings, so google has less than ONE PERCENT of that.

PM me we will talk more..
Old 05-09-2007, 06:48 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by Scarab440
Post count is not tied to intelligence he Is making good observations. And is trying to make things better.

A good search function shouldn't be this hard to get!
Never said it was my friend. I am pointing out that irony of those who have been around the least amount of time are those to complain the most.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:38 PM
mthreat

Originally Posted by GodZilla
PM me we will talk more..
For the record, I PM'd godzilla, I think he looked at my prototype (someone did, anyway, from japan), and i haven't heard anything else.