Notices
Feedback & Suggestions for Our Forum This is NOT a place to ask car/modification questions!
For posting feedback, suggestions or comments regarding our My350Z.com forum.

Oil consumption is a myth!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 09:36 AM
S0ULJAH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Oil consumption is a myth!!

If you are consuming a quart of oil every week or more often; this is NOT normal.
The FIX is replacing the Valve Guide Seals. Assuming your PCV system is good.
I have fixed 14x different VQ35DE engines with this oil consumption condition. I never got any complaints. These 14 people are a testimate to the quality engines coming out of my garage.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:25 AM
Desert Z

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not an expert so this is why I'm asking. What would you consider to be a bad PCV system? What symptoms would you see? It's a pretty simple system so I'm wondering.

I have an 06 rev up (bult july 2006) and do not have this issue but i read it happens to a lot of people.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:29 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Originally Posted by S0ULJAH
If you are consuming a quart of oil every week or more often; this is NOT normal.
The FIX is replacing the Valve Guide Seals. Assuming your PCV system is good.
I have fixed 14x different VQ35DE engines with this oil consumption condition. I never got any complaints. These 14 people are a testimate to the quality engines coming out of my garage.
wrong section and not to mention a double post
Old 07-01-2019, 08:26 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Oil consumption is amazing. It's like never having to do an oil change ever
Old 07-01-2019, 09:04 AM
S0ULJAH

Originally Posted by travlee
wrong section and not to mention a double post
take it up with tech support
Old 07-01-2019, 09:30 AM
S0ULJAH

Originally Posted by Desert Z
I'm not an expert so this is why I'm asking. What would you consider to be a bad PCV system? What symptoms would you see? It's a pretty simple system so I'm wondering.

I have an 06 rev up (bult july 2006) and do not have this issue but i read it happens to a lot of people.
A bad pcv system would be:
1. A leak
...A. If you have a leak somewhere within the system (the hose that connects both valve covers) over time you may experience a condition where engine oil will ...accumulate in the Valley between the two cylinder heads.
...B. The hose that connects from the check valve to the plenum
...C. Bank 2 hose from valve cover to intake manifold.
MAKE SURE THESE ARE IN PERFECT CONDITION ESPECIALLY THE ONE IN "A" BECAUSE IT'S THE ONE WITH THE MOST WORK TO GET TO. AND EASIEST TO OVERLOOK.

2. Check Valve Failure :
...A. The Spring could be bad internally. Remove it, try to listen for a rattle when you shake it.
......1). If the rattle is not present, then you know for sure the PCV valve is bad without a doubt
......2). If there's a rattle proceed to the next step

3. Check Valve Failure Type 2:
...A. Check the manufacturer's life expectancy for the PCV valve. There is an interval that is expected to be replaced. Plus that part is super cheap at the dealer don't .........get aftermarket.
if you are perhaps the 2nd + owner and you still dont know replace it. The PCV valve should not be flooded with oil on both sides. That is also another sign I use to just replace it and have peace of mind.

If you still have oil consumption issues then do a compression test, then wet compression test. If that checks out. Rings are good. Do a Leak Down Test to be 100% sure the valves are ok (not bent) or the piston has a hole etc. If all that checks out. Then yes VALVE GUIDE SEALS are the root problem. It tends to get overlooked a lot if someone just replaces the head gasket and hot tanks the heads without first disassembling the heads first. Or street mechanics just dont do it to save time and get more bang for their **** job.