Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Aftermarket Radiator and Nismo Thermostat recommendations

Old 12-22-2004, 08:48 AM
going deep

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket Radiator and Nismo Thermostat recommendations

Does anyone have a good recommendations for an aftermarket radiator. Like many of us here, I am in the middle of an engine rebuild and figured this is a good time to install a better capacity radiator. Also, any thoughts on the NISMO thermostat? Thanks, Ernie
Old 12-22-2004, 09:05 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yah..i think our cars are in the 52k dollar range at this point, why not tack on a few more grand...thanks for encouraging me to spend ALL of my $$$, ha hahaha
-tp
Old 12-22-2004, 09:06 AM
MIAPLAYA

I will be going with the Koyo unit and several people have installed it before and are very pleased. Adam from Z1 mentioned that the Nismo T-stat has been causing him problems with throwing CELs so i'm not sure on that.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:54 AM
spazpilot

I have the nismo thermostat and the koyo radiator. I would not recommended it. It has not thrown any CEL but the install on the radiator was not just a drop in. had to do some shaving on the core support for fittment and shaving on the electric fan a little to clear the bottom pipping on the turbo kit. Too much work. I would just go with the thermostat if I was to do it again
Old 12-22-2004, 11:25 AM
going deep

Originally posted by spazpilot
I have the nismo thermostat and the koyo radiator. I would not recommended it. It has not thrown any CEL but the install on the radiator was not just a drop in. had to do some shaving on the core support for fittment and shaving on the electric fan a little to clear the bottom pipping on the turbo kit. Too much work. I would just go with the thermostat if I was to do it again
Good advice, but how long or how much labor are we talking about? Do you think it really keeps you cooler by 30% like they claim?
Old 12-22-2004, 12:47 PM
Znitro

I have the Stillen radiator and the Nismo 154*f T stat and found that the stock system the ave traffic temps were in the 195-205 range....not good for that light to light sprint

The new set up runs at 170-175 and once in awhile I see 195 in lots of traffic. The radiator fans hardly cycle anymore.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:57 PM
ZippyCar

Hey Deep I have the NISMO t-stat and no issues, and the Stock Radiator. But... now that I have the TT in, only time will tell. I was thinking of the Stillen Racing Radiator.

http://www.stillen.com/Sportscars_de...d=42390&page=1

They claim it is plug and play... just a drop in replacement. I wonder if anyone else has purchased this unit? I would be very interested in following this issue closely because we are in the same boat here.

I was going to a Siebon TCII cf hood, painted to match REDLINE. I also like GQ_ 626's front end. Initial D - maybe with the all the ventilation exposure, a new radiator would be moo. (You know, like a cow's opinion... it's moo. ) Sorry couldn't resist.... long day at work. Or would it create too much under car lift?

Keep me in mind as you discover bits of wisdom during your project!!!
Old 12-22-2004, 01:20 PM
Znitro

I have the Stillen radiator and the Nismo 154*f T stat and found that the stock system the ave traffic temps were in the 195-205 range....not good for that light to light sprint

The new set up runs at 170-175 and once in awhile I see 195 in lots of traffic. The radiator fans hardly cycle anymore.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:47 PM
dansouliere

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....light=fluidyne

I would wait for the 350EVO Fluidyne street version radiator.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:28 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

ernie:
we dont NEED the radiator now...im glad you are gatherinfo though

it was 32 degrees here all day today...that will keep things chilled enough for the next couple of months
-TODD
Old 12-22-2004, 02:33 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the stillen radiator. fits just fine with the greddy turbo piping... had to shave just a hair of plastic off the bottom of the fans to get them to slide in the brackets of the radiator... no big deal at all... no part ever fits right anyway so i say its as good as its gonna get. I recommend it well enough that I retail it... if that means anything to you.

http://www.cj-motorsports.com/projects/cjmz/17.jpg
Old 12-22-2004, 03:21 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Yeah, the Koyo is a great unit, but it does require modifications and grinding to get it to fit. Honestly, I havet seen the need to upgrade. I might try this thermostat that everyone is talking about. But even on the track...albeit it was 70 degrees outside....my temp never budged. If you track your car in hot conditions, the radiator might be more useful. If they were truley plug and play, I would likely just buy one, since I have seen them for around $400shipped..maybe less. GSC Motorsports ran a special on them a while back.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:32 PM
going deep

Who cares about radiators when we can all stare at sharif's new sig.....mmmmm.....wiiilllllwwooooddd......(think homer).
Old 12-22-2004, 04:00 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would recommend a nismo thermostat. my car was very sensitive to the heat when tuning... and the runs at normal operating temp were always less power than the runs after letting it cool down 10 degrees.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:01 PM
going deep

Originally posted by gq_626
Yeah, the Koyo is a great unit, but it does require modifications and grinding to get it to fit. Honestly, I havet seen the need to upgrade. I might try this thermostat that everyone is talking about. But even on the track...albeit it was 70 degrees outside....my temp never budged. If you track your car in hot conditions, the radiator might be more useful. If they were truley plug and play, I would likely just buy one, since I have seen them for around $400shipped..maybe less. GSC Motorsports ran a special on them a while back.
Yeah, its probably overkill but i figured I'd ask now when there's going to be a big gaping hole in my engine bay in the next couple of days.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:02 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

I plan on going with a Nismo T-stat and Blitz radiator.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:06 PM
going deep

Originally posted by 350zDCalb
ernie:
we dont NEED the radiator now...im glad you are gatherinfo though

it was 32 degrees here all day today...that will keep things chilled enough for the next couple of months
-TODD
I will be ordering that NISMO thermostat, just another one of those items to add to the GRAND TOTAL. Damn my wife's going to kill me one of these days. My defense to her, "I could have bought a viper for 82k, but nooooo. Well, think of all the money were saving with this buildup. With the difference between 82k and my roadster+project costs, we'll take a vacation. Just not now."
Old 12-23-2004, 06:23 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by going deep
I will be ordering that NISMO thermostat, just another one of those items to add to the GRAND TOTAL. Damn my wife's going to kill me one of these days. My defense to her, "I could have bought a viper for 82k, but nooooo. Well, think of all the money were saving with this buildup. With the difference between 82k and my roadster+project costs, we'll take a vacation. Just not now."
Good thinking! I like your line of reasoning. I'll remember that if/whenever I get married!!
Old 12-23-2004, 03:31 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

trust me, the t-stat is an utter waste of time and money unless you are doing lots and lots of track days

Yes the KOYO is tremendous compared to stock - its not a bad install but it is time consuming. So far, that is the only one we installed, so not sure how others fit. I would not be surprised if the Blitz and PE are the same units as Koyo, since Koyo is the largest aftermarket manufacturer of radiators in the world
Old 12-24-2004, 06:36 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

let me expand my last post a bit - if you live in cold climates, its a waste IMHO unless you do frequent track days. For you SoCal guys where you never see freezing temps, its likley to work just fine without a SES light..of course it could be that freaky 04 ecu again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Radiator and Nismo Thermostat recommendations