Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Can I get some advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005 | 12:06 PM
alienx

Default Can I get some advice?

I've really liked my Z since I got it, with one exception. It has felt slow since thie first of my two test drives. I really hate to give up a lot of value in a trade-in scenario, so I'd like to find a way to feel better about keeping it for a few more years. (It didn't help that I got a ride in an STI today either! It definitely seemed faster, but was weaker in every other aspect!!).

I've read a lot of the posts in here for the last two years and have just felt like I am not ready to deal with all the issues of boosting, But I don't see any other way to enjoy driving my car much more. So I guess I am wondering what you guys think an all-in kit would cost now. I absolutely want to minimize any issues I may have, so I am looking to do this with all the bells and whistles (not cut any corners).

Also, I think I will be completely happy with a stock Greddy amount of boost. All things equal, obviously I would like to make 600 hp, But I think 110 or so over stock would be fine. With this type of goal, am I wasting my time trying to get a worry-free driving experience, or am I automatically setting myself up to have to constantly tinker with it to keep it safe?

Any insight would be great.

PS. I think I am leaning more towards a turbo than a SC, but I'm not married to either one yet.

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2005 | 12:12 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Default Re: Can I get some advice?

Originally posted by alienx
I've really liked my Z since I got it, with one exception. It has felt slow since thie first of my two test drives. I really hate to give up a lot of value in a trade-in scenario, so I'd like to find a way to feel better about keeping it for a few more years. (It didn't help that I got a ride in an STI today either! It definitely seemed faster, but was weaker in every other aspect!!).

I've read a lot of the posts in here for the last two years and have just felt like I am not ready to deal with all the issues of boosting, But I don't see any other way to enjoy driving my car much more. So I guess I am wondering what you guys think an all-in kit would cost now. I absolutely want to minimize any issues I may have, so I am looking to do this with all the bells and whistles (not cut any corners).

Also, I think I will be completely happy with a stock Greddy amount of boost. All things equal, obviously I would like to make 600 hp, But I think 110 or so over stock would be fine. With this type of goal, am I wasting my time trying to get a worry-free driving experience, or am I automatically setting myself up to have to constantly tinker with it to keep it safe?

Any insight would be great.

PS. I think I am leaning more towards a turbo than a SC, but I'm not married to either one yet.

Thanks!
What all mods do you have currently?

And, basically you are saying you'll pay any price for a reliable forced induction kit?
Old 02-12-2005 | 12:21 PM
alienx

Default Re: Re: Can I get some advice?

Originally posted by nis350ztt
What all mods do you have currently?

And, basically you are saying you'll pay any price for a reliable forced induction kit?
Box stock.

I never bothered to look into any other mods because when I got my car two years ago, nobody could prove that they actually gained (and kept) any power. There were lots of debates about whether the ecu was working around the intake and exhaust stuff and backing out the potential gains. Incidentally, I don't need 100 more HP (although it would be nice). I think 40 would probably make the car more enjoyable. But even if you can get that much from modifications, I have to believe it will cost a fortune anyway.

And no, I would not pay any price for bomb-proof FI. Here's where I'm coming from. I can get a brand new, 400 hp Corvette, which will run perfectly (as perfectly as a checy can anyway) until well over 100,000 miles, for about $10K more than I paid for my Z. And I have to imagine that the turbo setup is going to come close to that $10K if I want it to even remotely reliable.

So maybe I've just answered my own question. Maybe I'm priced out? But what do you think?
Old 02-12-2005 | 01:05 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Turbonetics single turbo kit: ~$4,779
Arias pistons and Pauter rods: $1,790 shipped
Good flowing exhaust: anywhere from $550 to $3,000
ATS twin-plate clutch and flywheel: $1,750
New tires: $800 - $2,000 (for all 4)

That's all you really need. But, here's some others you might want to consider:

Unorthodox Racing underdrive pulley set: $329
UR pulley belt set: $39.95
Max Ground grounding kit: $45
Samco cooling hose kit: $149
Short shifter: $95 - $275
Switching the rear diff. to a 5AT: $???
Brakes: $3,150 - $7,000 (not sure if 7k is the highest, just estimated, Brembo's are $3,150 though)
Coilovers: ~$750

All I can think of right now. That WILL put you over 400rwhp and make your car perform better.
Old 02-12-2005 | 02:31 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

you forgot to add in the installation fees for all that and tuning

FI is expensive
Old 02-12-2005 | 02:43 PM
g356gear

Originally posted by nis350ztt

ATS twin-plate clutch and flywheel: $1,750
Where can you find an ATS twin for that price??? Let me know ASAP
Old 02-12-2005 | 02:47 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally posted by sentry65
you forgot to add in the installation fees for all that and tuning

FI is expensive
Didn't add it as I have no clue. Though, it will be cheaper than any turbo kit (8-10 hour install). And there isn't any tuning, send the ECU to get reflashed and get it back within 2 - 3 days. The reflash cost is included in the price.
Old 02-12-2005 | 02:53 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally posted by g356gear
Where can you find an ATS twin for that price??? Let me know ASAP
Hmm, I don't know where I got that price, i'll check my pm's just to see if Sharif had told me that. But, until I check my pm's here's his post off of 350z - tech, so I guess it's 1950 plus shipping...
"There are about 5 of us putting the ATS Twin Disc Carbon in their car right now. I'll be installing mine with the built motor in about 2 weeks. I talked to P1 Performance, and they have installed a couple of them on the 350Z. They told me the pedal feel is like stock, and there is no chatter whatsoever. Just a slight hmm at idle...which is normal for lightened flywheels anyways. It's, IMHO, the best clutch on the market today, and priced about $700 less than a comparable Exedy. same quality and benifits, but priced lower since they dont do a whole lot of marketing in the USA.

The entire assembly weights 26lbs. I got the extra carbon heat treatment, which increases trq loads by 10% without effecting engagement or feel. The Twin disc and 1100kh pressure plate is goot for 750ft/lbs of trq at the flywheel. $400 more gets you a triple disc, which puts you over 1000ft/lbs trq.

Here are some pics of my clutch I took earlier. If anyone is interested, I point you on where to buy them for about $1950 plus shipping."