Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbo vs Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 10:57 AM
STLZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo, to many problems to go wrong

more parts to buy. more expensive
Old 11-14-2002, 11:02 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SC are much much simpler, end of story, cheaper, less tuning, no lag.... ect

but even knowing this, I plan on turbo charger, it is more efficient and more potential.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:04 AM
spikez513

Default Re: turbo, to many problems to go wrong

Originally posted by STLZ
more parts to buy. more expensive
which also means more fun...
Old 11-14-2002, 12:01 PM
tim_n/a

Default turbo car handle jsut sucks

I have to say turbo car is great on straight line or most US highway. But for a turbo FR, it take a great racer to handle it on a track. S/C is more friendly to 99.9% of us. Especially if you want to tune your car beyond 500hp range, turbo lag is unbearable for track racing.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:47 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm actaully on the track revs rarely drop, meaning lag is eliminated. drag racing revs start at 0, so it is a problem.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:43 PM
TheFuture

Originally posted by Diskus
Does anybody know of any good supercharger systems??? or i guess maybe turbo, does nismo make turbo or super?? thanks for all the info
Stillen is making one for a Jan 2003 release, I think

70 to 80 hp increase

Turbo will look cooler with the intercooler in the front

Maybe Vortech may make something
Old 11-14-2002, 01:47 PM
importriders

Originally posted by TheFuture
Stillen is making one for a Jan 2003 release, I think

70 to 80 hp increase

Turbo will look cooler with the intercooler in the front

Maybe Vortech may make something
Who says you can't have an intercooler on a supercharger?
Old 11-14-2002, 05:35 PM
Zeromancer

Yes, you can use an intercooler on superchargers. They create lots of heat too. The cooler you can get the intake air, the denser the air will be with more oxygen and, therefore make more horsepower.

By the way, there are plenty of twin turbos out there ripping up the tracks. RX7s, 300ZXs, and Supras do extremely well on autocrosses since they are TWIN TURBOs. One turbo spools up at low rpms and quickly builds boost for the second turbo to take over. The second turbo then builds mad boost all the way to redline and thereby, basically eliminates trubo lag.

I personally don't like the whine from supercharger belts and the potential for more horsepower and torque is easily there for turbos. If the system is well made, and I'm sure Greddy and other reputable companies will do that, then you don't have anything to worry about if you follow their boost level settings.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:43 PM
imntcrzy

just my opinion but I think that the 350 has decent bottom end torque and the torque fall off on the high end. I think that a supercharger will give the 350 almost too much bottom end torque and maybe make the butt tend to slide around. A turbo on the other hand will add gobs of high end torque, where the Z needs more power. My choice would be to go au naturale. Port and polish, blueprint, lighter and stonger rods and pistons, and crank and maybe stroke it to 3.6 or 3.7
Old 11-14-2002, 06:21 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by Zeromancer
By the way, there are plenty of twin turbos out there ripping up the tracks. RX7s, 300ZXs, and Supras do extremely well on autocrosses since they are TWIN TURBOs. One turbo spools up at low rpms and quickly builds boost for the second turbo to take over. The second turbo then builds mad boost all the way to redline and thereby, basically eliminates trubo lag.

I was under the impression that cars which use sequentially activated turbos use two different sizes of turbo: a smaller one to spool up quick and provide the low rpm boost, and a large one to spool up later and provide the large volume of air needed for boost at high rpms.

Maybe I'm missing something, but having two identical turbos in a sequential configuration doesn't make much sense to me. Cars like the Audi S4 use two identical turbos, but they are not sequential; they both spin up simultaneously. The benfit with this is that you can use two small turbos rather than one large turbo, and smaller turbos spin up faster than large turbos.

Are you sure that the cars you mentioned above use a sequential turbo config? Or are they simply identical turbos spinning up simultaneously? I personally don't know... just want to make sure. This is something I've never been sure of.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:38 PM
pdtsyzygy

The RX-7 (Wankel) and Supra (I-6) use sequential turbos, one small, one large. The small spools up first, then the second spools up and the first shuts down.

The 300ZX-TT (V6) and 300GT-VR4 (V6) use parallel turbos, same size. Each turbo feeds one bank of 3 cylinders.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:49 AM
jreiter

Originally posted by pdtsyzygy
The RX-7 (Wankel) and Supra (I-6) use sequential turbos, one small, one large. The small spools up first, then the second spools up and the first shuts down.

The 300ZX-TT (V6) and 300GT-VR4 (V6) use parallel turbos, same size. Each turbo feeds one bank of 3 cylinders.

Thanks for the info regarding the different cars. That makes more sense, especially given the engine layouts. On a V engine, it seems like configuring sequential turbos would be a major pain (since the exhaust manifolds are on either side of the engine). It would take some creative plumbing! On inline and rotary engines, though, sequentials seem much more understandable since their is only one exhaust manifold.
Old 11-15-2002, 04:48 AM
McDan

Originally posted by pdtsyzygy

The Supra's turbos are both the same size. But yes, they are sequential, but the first one remains online when the second one comes on at around 4000rpms. Guys, get your freekin facts straight before posting this junk!

Dan
Old 11-15-2002, 07:33 AM
Zeromancer

Take it easy, Dan...everyone learns from their mistakes...
Old 11-15-2002, 07:45 AM
350Z33

Originally posted by Diskus
Anybody know if there is even enough room for a twin turbo?? Who would make a twin turbo?

Greddy is developing one right now, so I guess they're making room for it.

Quick Reply: Turbo vs Supercharger