Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Which SUPERCHARGER is least likely...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 02:15 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can an automotive dealership void your warranty?

Please spare me teh Magnusen act as well. Tell Nissan...they are the ones who settled my lawsuit and their money will be buying this charger

In total they paid me 6K (+2K to my lawyer) for me to "call the dogs off"
Old 03-24-2005, 02:18 PM
Gman2004

Enjoy your car and your charger dude.....

Originally Posted by EnthuZiast
Please spare me teh Magnusen act as well. Tell Nissan...they are the ones who settled my lawsuit and their money will be buying this charger

In total they paid me 6K (+2K to my lawyer) for me to "call the dogs off"
Old 03-24-2005, 02:48 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Gman,
Your jacking up the SC cost with exhaust, test pipes, headers, and injectors plus gauges etc. ...and then you include nothing with the TT. You'll need them in either case.
On top of that your install/tune for the SC is higher then I have been quoted and the install/tune for the TT is way less. Its a much harder install. Many shops even remove the engine.
In my case I already have the exhaust, cats, headers,etc but you are confusing the point for anyone else that might be making the decision.

The TT's are capable of much more boost and stock is more like 420 then 380. The TT's are harder on the bottom end as well. Thats why most people are going with forged internals.

You can put together a tweaked SC for less than a base TT. And iif your gonna go TT you better have more than the basic system. Include gauges, tuning, etc.

Last edited by 35ounces; 03-24-2005 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:59 PM
Gman2004

I list everything because you brought it up in a prevoius post.

Whatever.

The APS kit itself is more than the Vortech SC + add-ons + installation and tuning. On top of that, the APS shops around here charge at least $2500 to install and tune (usually more by the time you are done). Add on some extras and it could easily hit twice the cost of the SC solution.

Who would buy a s/c and not put an exhaust? Yes the headers and test pipes are extras, but a lot of people would get them also. You don't need the gauges for either set up.....yes they are nice, but not needed. I am not confusing the point. You missed my point... You can get a basic APS TT with out anything else (exhaust, guages, test pipe etc.) and it would be the same price as a s/c with a lot of mods and have about the same if not more hp.

As far as install, I paid $880 and $550 for the tune. That might be a little higher but not that much more I'm guessing. What did you get quoted $700 for install? $300-$400 for tuning?

Also someone mentioned that they got quoted $2500 for an TT install.....ok I got quoted $1500 for the TT install.........You can always find a better price if you shop around which is what I did this time around.

Originally Posted by 35ounces
Gman,
You consider exhaust, test pipes, headers, and injectors as part of the SC? I'm giving you the rest even tho they are extras (but I'd get them). ...and then you include nothing with the TT (probably because in your case you already had them = gauges etc).
On top of that your install/tune for the SC is higher then I have been quoted and the install/tune for the TT is way less. Its a much harder install. Many shops even remove the engine.
In my case I already have the exhaust, cats, headers,etc but you are confusing the point for anyone else that might be making the decision.

Last edited by Gman2004; 03-24-2005 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:10 PM
Gman2004

I am not trying start anything I just am giving my opinion. I was in your guy's same shoes in December. I too said, "I don't want to go TT. I can get the s/c for less and I will happy."

Well......I got the s/c and I spent money on all the extras and I am still not happy.

Do want you guys want. It is your car and your money. I just hope for your sakes you don't end up in the same boat as I am because it will cost you money. I will probably end up loosing $3000 between the s/c and the installation/tuning cost after I sell the parts I can't use. Luckly I can afford the loss financialy, but it still hurts to my hard earned money out the window. I could have bought the body kit I want with that lost $3K.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:00 PM
copba1t

Cause they are Chevys. Not exactly bulletproof my friend.

Also that is kind of a conclusion. Just because I want my FI to be very safe I should consider another car. The Z and I took that very personal
Geesh maybe you have something against Vettes but I personally think they are great cars, awesome bang for the buck, especially the new one I think they got the look just right. Also I didn't conclude anything it was merely a suggestion, to have all the power in an affordable daily driver with full factory warranty and peace of mind. If you want to take offense with that then whatever but I would expect a true car "enthusiast" to at least appreciate what the vette has to offer instead of looking down upon them.

Good luck with your turbo I hope it works out. Oh and when adding up the costs you has better include a 5-6k emergency fund in case your engine gets roasted, either that or have some bus schedules handy
Old 03-24-2005, 04:05 PM
EnthuZiast

Geesh maybe you have something against Vettes but I personally think they are great cars, awesome bang for the buck, especially the new one I think they got the look just right. Also I didn't conclude anything it was merely a suggestion, to have all the power in an affordable daily driver with full factory warranty and peace of mind. If you want to take offense with that then whatever but I would expect a true car "enthusiast" to at least appreciate what the vette has to offer instead of looking down upon them.
Actually i think the Vette is the exception to teh Chevy Car Quality rule.
Actually to go even further i think the new Z06 will be the hands down best Bang for Buck performance car on the planet.

And I dont want to even think about needing an EMERGENCY FUND and I think thats why i will buy a Stillen Stage II and keep it always at stock boost.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:10 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

GMan,

Thanks for the info. I am still not quite sure what I will do and there is certainly the chance that I will go TT sometime. I don't rule that out whether I go SC first or not.
Most likely I will continue to build up my car N/A with cams next. Then I will decide to go SC or not. Another nice thing that's compelling with the SC is that I can get it all installed in a day.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:52 PM
redline350ZZ

And I dont want to even think about needing an EMERGENCY FUND and I think thats why i will buy a Stillen Stage II and keep it always at stock boost.
Yeah im thinking Stillen stage II because easier wiring and no oil tap......320WHP and a custom tune from Techno Square...since I have to get the timing erased from my ECU anyway.....

5200 for the kit
250 for cowl...already have a spare carbon fiber hood...and some paint
150 for ECU retune....
500 for wideband commander....allows you to record your own A/F ratio's

Total.......6,000
Old 03-24-2005, 08:29 PM
EnthuZiast

Redline that Z is beautiful.
Let me know how the Stillen is if you get it before me!
Old 03-27-2005, 09:09 AM
BrianLG35C

EnthuZiast,

From reading all your posts, I think I understand your concerns on going FI. I have similar and also want the least risk with stock internals. I've looked at Stillen and Vortech and decided that there's been too many Z owners having problems with the Stillen and many not satisfied with the Vortech. Just do a search.

Both may satisfy you for a while or not. But why not have the option to easily turn up the boost with a turbo. I'm talking about the APS Single Turbo. It will be out later this summer and will be priced around $5-6K. Install should run half the amount of the TT, coming in about $1-1.5K. So for around $7K you can have a considerably safe 380whp out of the box (no FI is completely safe) and if that's too high, I'm sure Peter/APS will confirm you could turn the boost down even further and run the highest octane in your area for even more safety. Say 320-340whp with 91-93 octane and I'm sure most expects on this board would agree you wouldn't be any safer in a Stillen SC. Except of course they offer a warranty. Many experts on this board sing the praises of APS and believe it's the safest FI out of the box.

For me the option of turning up the boost and the higher potential of whp sells me on the ST or TT. I don't want to be sorry that I didn't spend a little more for easy adjustability. Plus it sounds some people have had complaints on the sounds of Stillen and Vortech, belt or other noises.

Anyway, I know you had a lot of opinions thrown at you but I thought one more wouldn't hurt.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:55 AM
redline350ZZ

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
EnthuZiast,

From reading all your posts, I think I understand your concerns on going FI. I have similar and also want the least risk with stock internals. I've looked at Stillen and Vortech and decided that there's been too many Z owners having problems with the Stillen and many not satisfied with the Vortech. Just do a search.

Both may satisfy you for a while or not. But why not have the option to easily turn up the boost with a turbo. I'm talking about the APS Single Turbo. It will be out later this summer and will be priced around $5-6K. Install should run half the amount of the TT, coming in about $1-1.5K. So for around $7K you can have a considerably safe 380whp out of the box (no FI is completely safe) and if that's too high, I'm sure Peter/APS will confirm you could turn the boost down even further and run the highest octane in your area for even more safety. Say 320-340whp with 91-93 octane and I'm sure most expects on this board would agree you wouldn't be any safer in a Stillen SC. Except of course they offer a warranty. Many experts on this board sing the praises of APS and believe it's the safest FI out of the box.

For me the option of turning up the boost and the higher potential of whp sells me on the ST or TT. I don't want to be sorry that I didn't spend a little more for easy adjustability. Plus it sounds some people have had complaints on the sounds of Stillen and Vortech, belt or other noises.

Anyway, I know you had a lot of opinions thrown at you but I thought one more wouldn't hurt.

Good luck with your decision.

There have been problems with Vortec... but the issues have already been addressed so a buyer of these kits if wanting to be more reliable can purchase these upgraded pulley ( vortec kit) also the wiring harness for a better install
and yes there are the problems of some owners rasing to an unsafe boost but any F/I owner is responsible for there own actions....

The Stillen in *MY* vast search has only had 1 major problem and that problem did not cause Engine failure..... the problem has been fixed but has left a bad taste for many protential stillen customers...... the sound is liked by some and the hood is also..... but many people also dislike this kit because of the lower WHP output at higer RPM

Right now the market if filled with many diffrent kits..... all that provide a diffrent feel for the variety of Z/G owners......Im still deciding on which kit to get too...... I would like a turbo but due to the fact an Engine build up is not in my immediate future I like the GREATER reliability of a S/C.... IE.. not that much Boost spike..... because its driven off a pulley...

350WHP Max coupled with my Tilton Flywheel and 3.9 gears should satisfy me for a while..... But that's just me...

And I have the 7K quick fix sitting in the bank because I know F/I is never reliable but hopefully I or my wife never touch it....

This thread has been great for Info though..... Especially me.....cause im not very smart.....
Old 03-27-2005, 12:03 PM
EnthuZiast

Thanks agian and keep the feedback coming.

Price Question:

Does this sound fair to you guys for a Stillen Stage II?:
$4835.00 + $75.00 shipping

Fiberglass hood - unpainted - $661.00 + fright shipping
A 2 gauge pod is $45.00
Defi boost gauge = $112.00
Defi a/f Gauge = $125.00

Or the AEM wide band at $475.00 with a supercharger
Old 03-27-2005, 12:09 PM
mrtomcat

where are you getting the $4835 price? that's by far the best I've seen.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:14 PM
EnthuZiast

Im very sorry I cannot say. But Im glad to hear its a good deal
Old 03-27-2005, 12:15 PM
HankVQ

Enthuziast, where did you find the Stillen Stage 2 for that price? Sounds good to me.

Redline, will the Tilton street clutch handle that kind of power? I know some of the FI guys have swapped gears for taller ones to stay in boost longer but I am curious how the lower 3.9 gears would be with the Stillen? I guess we will find out.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:24 PM
redline350ZZ

Originally Posted by HankVQ
Enthuziast, where did you find the Stillen Stage 2 for that price? Sounds good to me.

Redline, will the Tilton street clutch handle that kind of power? I know some of the FI guys have swapped gears for taller ones to stay in boost longer but I am curious how the lower 3.9 gears would be with the Stillen? I guess we will find out.
I have talked with some people and feel that the STREET version will handle a little more than its initial 300WHP rating...... if not I have the SEMI-street sitting in storage....was gonna sell it but the person has not replied to my PM's

The gears provide 10% quicker acceleration so i dont need as much HP to keep up with other F/I owners.... I felt that this option Flywheel and Gears combined with a low output F/I kit would give me the results I need at a lower more reliable boost level.....
Old 03-27-2005, 12:25 PM
redline350ZZ

Of course I spent 2800 dollars doing that..... and thats Half of a kit almost.....
Old 03-27-2005, 12:31 PM
HankVQ

Originally Posted by redline350ZZ
Of course I spent 2800 dollars doing that..... and thats Half of a kit almost.....
Once you get that blower on please do a write up because I am thnking about doing the same setup( Tilton STREET, 3.9 gears, and Stillen supercharger). I think that the pull would be insane!
Old 03-27-2005, 12:45 PM
EnthuZiast

3.9 gears provide 10% more acceleration with or without FI?

Quick Reply: Which SUPERCHARGER is least likely...